Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Running your car on sunflower oil

Running your car on sunflower oil

Old Jun 12th 2008, 8:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Running your car on sunflower oil

Are you aware if you can get diesel you can run your car / 4x4 on sunflower / veg oil ?,it costs the about the same as diesel but if you dont have a choice you can mix it at upto a ratio of 50/50 in a warm climate,

Warning -Dont try this with the later common rail type engines ,only the older ones,usually pre 98

Rgds

Rotor
Old Jun 12th 2008, 9:49 am
BE Enthusiast

lcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud of
Default Re: Running your car on sunflower oil

Saw on Top Gear a while back that, apparently the diesel engine was actually designed to run on chip oil,(or something similar),the fuel we call diesel was actually invented after the engines when the oil companies saw an opportunity!

Whats the tax situation regarding doing this in Spain, in GB its full tax (obviously!:curse, I heard in Germany its tax free!

PS;could there be a market for organic fuel in Spain,theres a fella I know in Sussex who buys used oil, cleans it up and add's something and ,then sells it to motorists,would this work in Spain?
Old Jun 12th 2008, 10:14 am

poshnbucks has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Rotor
Are you aware if you can get diesel you can run your car / 4x4 on sunflower / veg oil ?,it costs the about the same as diesel but if you dont have a choice you can mix it at upto a ratio of 50/50 in a warm climate,

Warning -Dont try this with the later common rail type engines ,only the older ones,usually pre 98

Rgds

Rotor
I had a BMW once that was Chipped hmmmmmmmmm a Tasty Motor

Here are the facts http://www.veggiepower.org.uk/qswhichcars.html

Last edited by poshnbucks; May 30th 2009 at 5:40 am.
Old Jun 12th 2008, 2:32 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Rgds

Rotor
So you are suggesting that its absolutely fine for me to go and put 100% veg oil in my TDI Discovery?

Please let me know if this is your professional advice as it would appear that you are suggesting its OK.
Old Jun 12th 2008, 2:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

lcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud of

Lokking at the posted web link it would appear to be,provided you have the relevant injector kit!
Seem to recall seeing/hearing somewhere, that the engine has to be flushed through to clear any buildups out as well
Doesnt seem to be as straightforward as its made out to be,but then nothing ever is
Old Jun 12th 2008, 2:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
So you are suggesting that its absolutely fine for me to go and put 100% veg oil in my TDI Discovery?

Please let me know if this is your professional advice as it would appear that you are suggesting its OK.
Ive run a 300tdi Disco unmodified on NEW veg oil at upto 50% without problems ,

Rgds

Rotor
Old Jun 12th 2008, 2:55 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Ive run a 300tdi Disco unmodified on NEW veg oil at upto 50% without problems ,

Rgds

Rotor
Thats not actually what you said, and even the Landrover forums and "enthusiasts" tell you , at the very least, to change your fuel filter on a VERY regular basis.

50% is the minimum by the way....for winter use they actually advise somewhere in the region of 10-15%
Old Jun 12th 2008, 3:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thats not actually what you said, and even the Landrover forums and "enthusiasts" tell you , at the very least, to change your fuel filter on a VERY regular basis.

50% is the minimum by the way....for winter use they actually advise somewhere in the region of 10-15%
I dont quite understand your reply, over 50% of veg oil you will have to fit a fuel heater due to its viscosity, changing the fuel filter very regulary should not be required with new oil , hell its clean enough to eat on your salad! anyway fuel filters on tdi`s are less than 10 euro each, with regards to winter use I assumed you live in Spain, not the UK, BUT its all irrelevent after the fuel strikes as veg oil prices are fixed at much the same as diesel, thieving anti green supermarkets!!

Rgds

Rotor
Old Jun 12th 2008, 3:20 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Rgds

Rotor

However if you do not pay fuel duty on anything you put in the tank of a vehicle if so then what you are suggesting is not illegal?
Old Jun 12th 2008, 3:27 pm
Straw Man.

I dont quite understand your reply, over 50% of veg oil you will have to fit a fuel heater due to its viscosity, changing the fuel filter very regulary should not be required with new oil , hell its clean enough to eat on your salad! anyway fuel filters on tdi`s are less than 10 euro each, with regards to winter use I assumed you live in Spain, not the UK, BUT its all irrelevent after the fuel strikes as veg oil prices are fixed at much the same as diesel, thieving anti green supermarkets!!

Rgds

Rotor
The figures from the Landrover people state that winter use OF VEG OIL should only ever be about 10-15%

Yeah, fuel filters don't really cost much, but some of us don't want to be changing them every 2000 miles, which is just over every month for me at the moment, and its the fact that the oil clogs them up that is the problem.
Old Jun 12th 2008, 3:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo
However if you do not pay fuel duty on anything you put in the tank of a vehicle if so then what you are suggesting is not illegal?
Best speak to your revenue office...I`m sure they could supply you with enough forms and questionaires to give a gestor a heartattack!!

Rgds

Rotor
Old Jun 12th 2008, 3:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

The figures from the Landrover people state that winter use OF VEG OIL should only ever be about 10-15%

Yeah, fuel filters don't really cost much, but some of us don't want to be changing them every 2000 miles, which is just over every month for me at the moment, and its the fact that the oil clogs them up that is the problem.

I guess your talking about "Land Rover people" in the UK where its obviosly much cooler than Spain , unless you live on the top of Mulhacen!!, I can only tell you what Ive done,I dont sell or fit oil conversion kits but any DIY mechanic could easly fabricate a oil heater system but as I said before the stuff is no cheaper in Spain so theres little point unless own a chip shop and filter your old oil!!

Its not a bad idea to change your oil and fuel filters every 3000 miles even if you run on pump diesel.

Rgds

Rotor
Old Jun 12th 2008, 4:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: In a place where Mimi Greensleeves, Dodgy Debsy and that there Lionda wont find me.
genegenie has a reputation beyond reputegenegenie has a reputation beyond reputegenegenie has a reputation beyond reputegenegenie has a reputation beyond reputegenegenie has a reputation beyond reputegenegenie has a reputation beyond reputegenegenie has a reputation beyond reputegenegenie has a reputation beyond reputegenegenie has a reputation beyond reputegenegenie has a reputation beyond reputegenegenie has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Running your car on sunflower oil

Just beware before you try it, i ran my 97 Terrano on "proper" biodiesel for over a year without any problems tried it with a few litres of sunflower oil it clogged all my fuel lines and filters within a day of putting it in, my mechanic said i was very lucky it didnt knacker the fuel pump.
Old Jun 12th 2008, 4:11 pm
Straw Man.

Originally Posted by genegenie
Just beware before you try it, i ran my 97 Terrano on "proper" biodiesel for over a year without any problems tried it with a few litres of sunflower oil it clogged all my fuel lines and filters within a day of putting it in, my mechanic said i was very lucky it didnt knacker the fuel pump.
thats just what my mechanic told me, and Landrover have issues with their Turbos and veg oil for some reason.
Old Jun 12th 2008, 4:34 pm
zel

zel is an unknown quantity at this point

So call my cynical here!

But you're a self confessed all above board, professional parts supplying outfit and you're suggesting to people or at least giving them the info about running their vehicles on sunflower oil?

Now, one COULD see it as possibly lining your own pockets since the majority of people who read such posts don't know one end of a car to another and will try anything and mess up...

AND...

Then need parts....

Hmm... I think I've been on forums to long!

Either way it's no way to give an image of a professional, trust worthy outfit doing posts like that IMO. Might want to rethink it next time.

Last edited by zel; Jun 12th 2008 at 4:52 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.