Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Running a bar in spain info saught

Running a bar in spain info saught

Old Aug 28th 2012, 9:58 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Running a bar in spain info saught

Originally Posted by HBG

If I'm wrong, I'll eat my hat.
Oh OK, what kind is it?
Old Aug 29th 2012, 12:08 am
Just Joined

AL1492 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok, lets just finish this thread. I shouldnt have bothered asking, because with everything their is a hierarchy, even when i was 22, and living and working in Israel, their was a hierarchy amongst british travellers, the longer you had been in Israel, the higher up that hierarchy you were. Autumaticaly you knew more than people who hadnt been there as long as you had.

If i said right now "i have spotted to cheap bank sale properties in Llieda, and their is a uni there, i think they would be great for student accomodation. I would get told, "no mate, not in spain, not like that here" all student go to local universities, and stay with their parents, "what about students that live to far to travell" oh, they dont go to uni, not here mate, this is spain.

I got the same when i first came to the USA, i was talking to brits in florida about buying a rental there (ex pat brits in a bar) oh, dont do it, yanks trash the house, and dont pay the rent, and you can never get them out, and you end up picking up all their utility bills" all absolute garbage, then i came to the midwest, got told the exact same from people that had never been in the business, 'oh dont do it, you can never get them out, and they trash the place, everyone gets out of that business fast" First time i did an eviction, the guy was out six weeks after he stopped paying rent, and left the house in great condition, he got out as soon as the summons to court arrived in his mail. Second person went to court, said he was refusing to pay as their were a couple of broken windows, and some lights didnt work, judge gave him 20 days to get out, and an order to pay any unpaid rent. That took ten weeks. I never got the unpaid rent, because i couldnt be bothered chasing him, and garnishing his wages, as he didnt have a bank account.

No one is going to say "great idea" to anything. No matter what it is, if i said i was thinking of buying a Rolex dealership in Marbella, i would be told, "oh now is not a good time mate, even the rich are feeling the pinch, and no one wants rolex anymore, the second hand shops here are full of them, and no one is buying.

Only one comment, is from someone who rents out a house in spain. One comment is from someone who rents in spain. No one on this forum, has bought a house to renovate in spain, and no one on this forum has run a bar or cafe in any part of spain.

If you think about it, its like me, sitting in a bar in the midwest, and getting talking to a british farmer, who has sold up, and decided to move his operation here, so i am sitting giving him advice, and telling him, that he shouldnt grow corn, he should do beef, then telling him, beef has been bad the past two summers, due to lack of rain, no grass to feed them. What do i know about farming, well i have driven past a few farms, i changed the clutch on a tractor for a farmer, but i am not a farmer, so i should never attempt to give advice on farming. No matter the fact i have been here over six years, and someone coming from the UK has only arrived, It dosent matter if i have been here all my life, if i never worked in farming, then i wont know anything about it, not here, not in the UK. The principles of farming, just like every other business, are the exact same no matter where you go. Whether its fire fighting, policing, teaching, being a doctor, A us surgeon, isnt going to do open heart surgery a different way from a british surgeon, is he, only difference here, is how he gets paid.

Thats another point making it worth while having a bar or cafe in spain, the rent for the place is 600 a month for a cheap place, you can make a loss of 600 a month, but as long as you are a business owner, and running a legitimate business in spain, you get free health care. It could cost 600 euros a month for health insurance, which would be required if you are not working, or running a business. But no doubt someone with no health cover will tell me differently.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 12:40 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Yes ..... because that was 500 bloody years ago and he didnt get out much ... whereas these days we get to see the world and its different people and different cultures. And before you ask .... yes, I have travelled a lot

If you are relying on advice from 500 years ago, then frankly I'm now lost for any more words
And that is why today, people from different countris, are more similar than at any other time in history, because we all travell, because we all have TV, and watch much the same movies, and because we all have the internet, we all share the same banking system, we all have the same system of working, and getting paid. Even our systems of government are becoming the same, our health care is becoming the same (the USA is one of only a handfull of holdouts on that) We are becoming more and more intergrated, to the point its becoming the norm, to be born in one country, and move to another country. What was the latest figures on UK births, 20% of british babies, were born to mothers who were not born in the UK.

Peole are just the same, that is why every country in the world, has very similar laws, because its the same laws that everyone brakes, if you dont have laws against speeding, everyone drives as fast as their car can go, if you dont have laws against littering, your streets are full of rubbish, as we used to say in the merchant navy "same shit, different country" We would get off the ship, and the hookers, and bars, would be right at the dock gates. Dosent matter if its Lisbon, or Lima, its just the same thing.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 6:28 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Oh OK, what kind is it?
It's not made of chocolate, unfortunately.

Actually, the poster concerned may be posting all over the place, with all different names, but he tries hard not to be offensive for most of the time, and is obviously intelligent.

I would imagine his parents have retired to Spain, perhaps came unstuck in the property fiasco, and left him behind, which irks him, especially when he watches his inheritance dwindle on a daily basis.

Who knows? And it's not a big deal.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 6:35 am
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AL1492

Thats another point making it worth while having a bar or cafe in spain, the rent for the place is 600 a month for a cheap place, you can make a loss of 600 a month, but as long as you are a business owner, and running a legitimate business in spain, you get free health care. It could cost 600 euros a month for health insurance, which would be required if you are not working, or running a business. But no doubt someone with no health cover will tell me differently.
Thats what autonomo is for. If you own your own business and are self employed you have to pay 250€ to be entitiled to free healthcare. So you could just do that and not bother with the 600€ + overheads

Jo xxx
Old Aug 29th 2012, 7:25 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jojojojojo
Thats what autonomo is for. If you own your own business and are self employed you have to pay 250€ to be entitiled to free healthcare. So you could just do that and not bother with the 600€ + overheads

Jo xxx
you do actually have to have a business though

although admittedly it doesn't have to be one with premises & massive overheads

Last edited by lynnxa; Aug 29th 2012 at 7:31 am.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 7:45 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

I know we discussed this before, but why is it everyone wants to own/run a bar here in Spain ?
Is it because that is all they are "qualified" to do after pulling a couple of pints in uni ?

Even before opening up shop you have to register with the local town hall, get all the machines in, have an operational bank account so your utility suppliers can take money, you have to prove cleanliness, you have to do EVERYTHING including buying some toilet paper for the services.

Jimenato may tell me I am wrong, but it isnt like getting up at 8, arriving at work at 9 and spend the first 15mins over a cup of coffee and discuss with colleagues what happened on TOWIE last night.
Life can be hard for employees, but even harder for bar owners, and then there is the pressure of employees and Spains laws, and then someone doesnt come in and it is supposed to be your night off

As Jo says, just go self employed, get a few cards made up, put a couple of months adverts in local paper, all to prove to the authorities you are "working" and pay the €250 every month (in advance IIRC). Then you can take a few tinnies to the beach and pretend you have your own bar.
Its far cheaper than actually running one.

As to the Rolexes in Marbella, well there are alot of people who are exclusive distributors already and after bars, hairdressers, shoe and clothes shops come the jewellers who sell watches, hundreds of them

The name of the game is to find a niche that hasnt already been flooded by Spanish, Brits, Germans, Swedes etc etc, but that would mean having some original thought, original ideas and take English spelling lessons
rgds
Old Aug 29th 2012, 7:52 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jojojojojo

Jo xxx
Ok then, what if you dont own a business, and you are not self employed, could you still get health cover for 250 which seems really cheap to me, by US prices, its extremely cheap, and what about age, are you talking about for a 21 year old.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 8:03 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Ok then, what if you dont own a business, and you are not self employed, could you still get health cover for 250 which seems really cheap to me, by US prices, its extremely cheap, and what about age, are you talking about for a 21 year old.
yes - you could get basic health cover for as little as 60€ a month for a 21 year old

for a 50 year old for about 65€ a month

http://www.asssa.es/#
Old Aug 29th 2012, 8:37 am
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Can you own a business and not be self employed???

to be a resident of spain you need to prove income and healthcare provision

Jo xxx
Old Aug 29th 2012, 8:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

My OH and I are currently paying €102 per month for private health insurance for the two of us (aged 62 and 56), in Andalucia. It is, as you can see, far cheaper than paying autonomo social security contributions, and much cheaper than private health insurance in the UK never mind in the US. We are early retirees (not doing any work of any kind) and thus not entitled to treatment in the Spanish state health system until we reach 65 (in the case of my OH) or 66 (me) although if we were married I could be covered as my husband's dependant when he becomes eligible for a UK state pension. We did get 2 years' cover in the Spanish state system when we first moved here (based on our NI contributions in the UK) but after that ran out we needed private health insurance.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 8:42 am
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by Lynn R
My OH and I are currently paying €102 per month for private health insurance for the two of us (aged 62 and 56), in Andalucia. It is, as you can see, far cheaper than paying autonomo social security contributions, and much cheaper than private health insurance in the UK never mind in the US. We are early retirees (not doing any work of any kind) and thus not entitled to treatment in the Spanish state health system until we reach 65 (in the case of my OH) or 66 (me) although if we were married I could be covered as my husband's dependant when he becomes eligible for a UK state pension. We did get 2 years' cover in the Spanish state system when we first moved here (based on our NI contributions in the UK) but after that ran out we needed private health insurance.
you know you can register as a pareja de hecho ? - then when whichever of you gets a pension & is covered first, the other can be covered as dependant..........
Old Aug 29th 2012, 8:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
you know you can register as a pareja de hecho ? - then when whichever of you gets a pension & is covered first, the other can be covered as dependant..........
I know a pareja de hecho is recognised by the Spanish system, but will the DWP recognise it when it comes to having the partner included on the S1 form as a dependant? I always thought you had to be married for that, as UK law does not recognise civil partnerships except for same sex couples.

If I am wrong, I will be very pleased! We could of course simply get married, but having gone through one very expensive divorce (for me) already, I have always been inclined to think, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Old Aug 29th 2012, 9:16 am
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by Lynn R
I know a pareja de hecho is recognised by the Spanish system, but will the DWP recognise it when it comes to having the partner included on the S1 form as a dependant? I always thought you had to be married for that, as UK law does not recognise civil partnerships except for same sex couples.

If I am wrong, I will be very pleased! We could of course simply get married, but having gone through one very expensive divorce (for me) already, I have always been inclined to think, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!
now there's a question - I'm not sure - maybe ask them?

I know if you're registered as pareja de hecho you'd be covered if one of you was employed/self-employed - but you have a point - maybe not as far as the DWP is concerned.....
Old Aug 29th 2012, 9:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lynnxa
now there's a question - I'm not sure - maybe ask them?

I know if you're registered as pareja de hecho you'd be covered if one of you was employed/self-employed - but you have a point - maybe not as far as the DWP is concerned.....
I've emailed them to ask, so will post again when I have had a reply, as other people may be interested.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.