Reload this Page >

Running a bar in the canaries

Running a bar in the canaries

Old Oct 20th 2008, 1:12 pm
Just Joined

Smurphy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Running a bar in the canaries

Hi all

I've posted before and got a bit of advice (hopefully positive). Me and my partner are looking to move to one of the canaries maybe lanzarote to an area such as old puerto del carmen and maybe renting a small bar that is drinks only in the evening in approximately 4/5 years time. Everyone has said don't do it, you'll be bankrupt, but I am also a hairdresser and my partner has done property maintenance and will be by then an electrician in UK. Personally I would love to go to Oz but my partner has 2 kids that will be staying in the UK and would like to see on a regular basis so a bit hard from Oz. Do you think research and visits would be enough or is it just pie in the sky or can you suggest somewhere where we would do better? ANy advice welcome!
Sx
Old Oct 20th 2008, 1:18 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Running a bar in the canaries

Originally Posted by Smurphy
Hi all

I've posted before and got a bit of advice (hopefully positive). Me and my partner are looking to move to one of the canaries maybe lanzarote to an area such as old puerto del carmen and maybe renting a small bar that is drinks only in the evening in approximately 4/5 years time. Everyone has said don't do it, you'll be bankrupt, but I am also a hairdresser and my partner has done property maintenance and will be by then an electrician in UK. Personally I would love to go to Oz but my partner has 2 kids that will be staying in the UK and would like to see on a regular basis so a bit hard from Oz. Do you think research and visits would be enough or is it just pie in the sky or can you suggest somewhere where we would do better? ANy advice welcome!
Sx

oh for a crystal ball

who knows what advice you'd get in 4/5 years time - even just 2 years ago we were telling people 'go for it - you've nothing to lose'! (not about the bar - we'd always have advised against that - but as far as coming to spain)

now most of us would say 'don't do it! - unless you have a very good job lined up'

spend the next four years learning spanish & work in a bar - if you find it hard in the UK you'd hate it here in spain

good luck
Old Oct 20th 2008, 1:45 pm

poshnbucks has disabled reputation

I think must people would say don't do it, However if you choose to go ahead the advice above is good all I would add is buy the bar outright, Do not go into debt, This is the down fall of most of the returning Brits. No debts is the key.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 3:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all

Sx

Im all for planning ahead but 4/5 years!! a lot can happen in that time, Lanzerote will then be run by Morocco and under strict Islamic law
Keep it as a dream until a year before , then forget it as you will go bust, it would be cheaper to invite all and saundry round your house and give drinks away
If you insist on going bust make sure you work on site at any potential purchase for at least a month so you can see the "real" takings ,and remember good will is worth nothing in the business world, fixtures and fittings in most bars could be purchased for less than 1k€ ,any astute business person would want paying to take a bar on-fact
Old Oct 20th 2008, 4:05 pm
Banned

jurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of light

oh for a crystal ball , who know whats going to happen pm me and i fill you in what happen down there good mate in the pub game
jurdy
Old Oct 20th 2008, 8:54 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Lots more opportunities in Oz for a young couple. Drinks bars just do not make enough profit.
Old Oct 21st 2008, 12:05 am
Forum Regular

sensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud of

the only people that make money out of bars are the freeholders who rent or lease them

there are a very few exceptions if the location is right and the rent is not to high and the council are ok
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 3:11 pm
Just Joined

Smurphy is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks guys - much appreciated advice - is there any advice on what jobs we can do then instead of buying a bar - we hate the UK now and I know its 4/5 years away but any suggestions of jobs we could do if we still decide to come over. I will be a qualified hairdresser and partner a uk qual electrician hopefully or is it all bleak and the only work we'd get would be bar work?

Thanks again guys

Sx
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 4:48 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys - much appreciated advice - is there any advice on what jobs we can do then instead of buying a bar - we hate the UK now and I know its 4/5 years away but any suggestions of jobs we could do if we still decide to come over. I will be a qualified hairdresser and partner a uk qual electrician hopefully or is it all bleak and the only work we'd get would be bar work?

Thanks again guys

Sx
as I said before - oh for a crystal ball

who knows what will happen 4/5 years?

people will always need their hair cut (unless fashions change radically), but a UK qualified electrician will not be qualified to work here (unless I've misunderstood everything I've read in the past 4 years on here)

OMG is it really that long
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 5:55 pm
Banned

betris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
as I said before - oh for a crystal ball

who knows what will happen 4/5 years?

people will always need their hair cut (unless fashions change radically), but a UK qualified electrician will not be qualified to work here (unless I've misunderstood everything I've read in the past 4 years on here)

OMG is it really that long
for a uk electrician in spain it would be like now doing the things that they said you definatly must not do . while you were training
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 6:03 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all

Sx
The bars run by Brits that do seem to be successful are those in the cities that cater for both the Spanish and ex-pat market. Believe it or not, a lot of money is made selling the cafe cortados and con leche for 1.30 a shot in the morning session. If you can keep busy in the day (coffees then the menus at lunch time) you can then capitalise by selling pints to the Brits in the evening. Problem is it's extremely hard work; I see your point in specifying drinks only in the evening. Trouble with that is you end up losing money 3-4 months a year (or more).
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 2:53 am
Forum Regular

sensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud of

in 4 to 5 years you could be dead

just dont buy a bar in spain if you are not dead

nobody listens

DONT BUY A BAR IN SPAIN

unless...you are very good with years of xp in the catering trade,get prime position and have a lot of cash

nope,thinking about it dont do it you will lose a lot of money

nobody listens
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 4:32 am
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by sensationalfrog
in 4 to 5 years you could be dead

just dont buy a bar in spain if you are not dead

nobody listens

DONT BUY A BAR IN SPAIN

unless...you are very good with years of xp in the catering trade,get prime position and have a lot of cash

nope,thinking about it dont do it you will lose a lot of money

nobody listens