Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

The rudest tourists in Spain....

The rudest tourists in Spain....

Old Mar 23rd 2012, 8:32 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute
Default The rudest tourists in Spain....

Just watching the news and there has been a poll as to which tourist have the worst manners.

France is in first place, they are said to be rude and arrogant, the Russians are second it is said that they are "groseros" (trying to think of the best translation for that, it might be crude, as it is rude in a dirty sort of way.

Brits are third, mainly because of drinking.

I think Spanish might have been 5th or 6th with the Italians.

The most well mannered were from Norway and Austrailians.
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 8:40 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The rudest tourists in Spain....

Originally Posted by JLFS
Just watching the news and there has been a poll as to which tourist have the worst manners.

France is in first place, they are said to be rude and arrogant, the Russians are second it is said that they are "groseros" (trying to think of the best translation for that, it might be crude, as it is rude in a dirty sort of way.

Just note though that many Spanish think various other nationalities are British because they are speaking English.

I have seen this many times including once where a northern European shouted at a supermarket girl "WHY WON'T YOU SPEAK TO ME IN ENGLISH?" Also many road incidents where the shouting is in English when the protagonists quite obviously aren't.

Having said that third isn't bad considering our reputation.
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 8:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Link? how were canadians rated?
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 8:46 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by willmore
Everyone would have thought they were Americans.

Or maybe English. Or French.
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 8:48 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato
Well we can pretend that to be the case. Most people do.
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 8:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Or maybe English. Or French.
Americans - true to a point, although the brits seem to be able to tell the difference or so they say...

English or french - well maybe although Ive never been mistaken for either english or french.

Anyway is there a link? Im just curious......
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 8:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by amideislas
Well we can pretend that to be the case. Most people do.
No one I know does. If we are mistaken, we simply say we are canadian - although there is nothing wrong with being mistaken for an american......
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 9:03 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

No one I know does. If we are mistaken, we simply say we are canadian - although there is nothing wrong with being mistaken for an american......
You've been around this forum far longer than me, but if you aren't aware that according to a number of British members here, Americans are the rudest, greediest, most snobby and self-centered people on the planet (somewhat like how much of the world views us Brits).

But like you, despite knowing and associating with many of them, I haven't seen it yet, either. I'll let you know when I do.
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 9:35 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

There is no link I was watching it on the Spanish news....and no mention of the Canadians.
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 9:40 pm
FreeThinker

Originally Posted by amideislas
You've been around this forum far longer than me, but if you aren't aware that according to a number of British members here, Americans are the rudest, greediest, most snobby and self-centered people on the planet (somewhat like how much of the world views us Brits).

But like you, despite knowing and associating with many of them, I haven't seen it yet, either. I'll let you know when I do.
Most Americans (the people) I know are charming and generous - just lovely people. In the short time I spent in America I only came across one genuinely unpleasant person and she was British.

America (the country), however is a somewhat different matter...
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 9:40 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

As expats living in Spain, we are not likely to encounter many Americans, far less Canadians or Australians. Russians, yes, but I've never encountered a rude one, usually the opposite.

That the French are rude is common knowledge and I've met some. How can a country live down something like the Vichy?

So to our good old own countryfolk. I read a local expat newspaper this morning about a football match between expat and Spanish kids in Jacarilla. It turned into a fight between English and Spanish grandparents - not parents, grandparents.

What more can you say?
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 9:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

There is no link I was watching it on the Spanish news....and no mention of the Canadians.
Its like we dont exist on the world stage doesnt it.....

Most Americans (the people) I know are charming and generous - just lovely people. In the short time I spent in America I only came across one genuinely unpleasant person and she was British.

America (the country), however is a somewhat different matter...
We have had the same experience. In all our travels we have only met one really obnoxious couple - who criticizied canada for their immigation policies (muslims) and our social safety net.......we have learned never ever to start or get involved in a discussion regarding politics, social issues or religion

You're referring to their foreign policies I assume?

Last edited by willmore; Mar 23rd 2012 at 9:47 pm.
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 9:47 pm
FreeThinker

Originally Posted by HBG

That the French are rude is common knowledge and I've met some. How can a country live down something like the Vichy?
I must say that I have always found the French to be extremely courteous - never had a problem and I've met lots.
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 9:47 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by HBG
As expats living in Spain, we are not likely to encounter many Americans, far less Canadians or Australians. Russians, yes, but I've never encountered a rude one, usually the opposite.

So to our good old own countryfolk. I read a local expat newspaper this morning about a football match between expat and Spanish kids in Jacarilla. It turned into a fight between English and Spanish grandparents - not parents, grandparents.

What more can you say?
The comment about rude Russians was meant more as "grosero" than bad mannered type rude, If you know what I mean, more sort of smutty, which I took to be more directed at women than man.

As for the fight involving the grandparents, it must have been a sight..
Old Mar 23rd 2012, 9:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I must say that I have always found the French to be extremely courteous - never had a problem and I've met lots.
We've had both good and bad experiences with france. The bad mostly in the big cities - once we were travelling throughout the country away from the big cities the people were wonderful.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.