Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Rude people and con artists in Valencia (Spain)

Rude people and con artists in Valencia (Spain)

Old Aug 21st 2008, 7:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

marisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rude people and con artists in Valencia (Spain)

Originally Posted by hammer1
Hello!

I'm new in this forum and I would like to talk about my experience in the city of Valencia (Spain).
I'm french but i have lived 12 years in england and i consider I am also an english expat.
The big mistake of my life was going living in Valencia (Spain).
This city is plenty of rude people and con artists everywhere. Be very careful when shopping in computer shops and in mobile telephone shops because in A LOT of this places they try to sell you used items. In two different telephone shops the sold me used mobile phones that conserved in their memory a few telephone numbers. In five different computer shops they sold me used cds whith stored information, a defective digital camera card, an used graphic card, a defective cd drive and a defective flopy disk drive.

Be careful when renting a house. Where I'm living now is a duplex and the 79 year old woman who lives downstairs and who is the owner of the house is stealing me water and electricity. She is all day long asking my neighbours if they have seen me going out of the house. When she knows i'm out she steals me a lot of water to water her garden: i know that because when i return home i allways look the water meter. I'm paying astronomic amounts of money in electricity bills but i can't find a better place to live because here it's a very cheap house (about half the price normally costs to rent an apartment).
The problem is that it's very difficult to find a cheap apartment to live in; here the salarys are very low and apartments normally costs 700 euro per month.

Now I want to return to England because I'm fed up of this big amount of con artists, rude people, staring people everywhere in this city and low wages.
Hello hammer1
I just wanted to apologize for having said that you shouldn’t generalize, who am i to say to you what you should do or not? If i tell the truth, I didn’t understand what you were talking about, so I was the one that should be quiet. After reading the following posts, I realized that you were referring to the bad-mannered people and not only about the woman who was cheating on you.
When you are a child that has had the privilege of receiving a good education, you realize that there are a lot of situations in where these good-manners don’t help you at all, for instance, when you politely open a door to let somebody by, the result is that not only this person goes through but many others and you are there, holding the door as if you were the doorman. When you get into the line and when it is your turn, there is usually somebody who tries to jump the queue. At first, you try to be polite and say something like “it doesn’t matter, it seems you are in a hurry “ and you hope that your good manners can be a lesson to him, but you are wrong, the person manages what he wants to and besides that, he thinks you are an idiot. So, as the years go by, you realize that living sometimes is like a war and you have to weigh up if you want to keep on being polite the whole time (this decision is good only in case you don’t get frustrated) or trying to survive.
Once I said that sometimes I feel ashamed for being Spanish, I seem to remember it was when talking about the Spanish law (rapists, thieves, killers, abusers.. have more rights than victims) and this, the lack of politeness of some people is another reason that makes me be ashamed.
So, sorry again for having been so rude
Regards,
marisol

Last edited by marisol; Aug 21st 2008 at 7:40 pm.
Old Aug 21st 2008, 9:38 pm
Just Joined

Big Mac is a jewel in the roughBig Mac is a jewel in the roughBig Mac is a jewel in the roughBig Mac is a jewel in the roughBig Mac is a jewel in the rough
Smile Re: Rude people and con artists in Valencia (Spain)

How many computers/mobiles/CD's etc did you have to buy before learning that you were being ripped off? If there were so many defects why part with your cash?
Con artists -I got ripped off once when I bought a day old labrador at a bargain price and discovered later that it was a hamster. Live and learn!!
As for the theft of your water and electricity - you lucky, lucky b******. When I were a lad we had candles, no matches and drank from puddles after the neighbour's dog had quenched it's thirst. As for queues - 3 days and nights I waited in queue for t' butcher to be handed a lump of lard and half an egg - and I dropped egg on way out o' shop. And a house!! I could only dream of a house when I were shivering and wet beneath a used chip wrapper in t' gutter.
Anyway, I wish you all the best but remember, there really are many, many people out there a lot worse off. If you can smile when things are going wrong..you've probably thought of someone to blame!
Old Aug 21st 2008, 11:07 pm

poshnbucks has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Big Mac
How many computers/mobiles/CD's etc did you have to buy before learning that you were being ripped off? If there were so many defects why part with your cash?
Con artists -I got ripped off once when I bought a day old labrador at a bargain price and discovered later that it was a hamster. Live and learn!!
As for the theft of your water and electricity - you lucky, lucky b******. When I were a lad we had candles, no matches and drank from puddles after the neighbour's dog had quenched it's thirst. As for queues - 3 days and nights I waited in queue for t' butcher to be handed a lump of lard and half an egg - and I dropped egg on way out o' shop. And a house!! I could only dream of a house when I were shivering and wet beneath a used chip wrapper in t' gutter.

And you were lucky bla bla bla
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 8:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by poshnbucks
Dear Rota

Caste your mind back yourself and others and I bet the first time you noticed how rude the Spanish can be was when you went out of your way to let another motorist in only to be greeted with........Well F/All. No wave, Kisses blown or anything in actual fact you were invisible, You do it again just in case the guy got out of bed the wrong side and ohhhhhhhhh They are all the same
Well bet you don't let them out now do you..................
and as for granny pushing in the queue at the fish mongers heyyyyyyyyyyyyyy have some Spanish archer..................EL - BOW I love it here don't you

You are right I no longer let cars out but its not an us and them thing ,no one lets anyone out which is fine by me as I do the sameas for pushing in Ive seen plenty of that in the UK by the wrinkly brigade as well, over here I just say excuse me its my turn next which has always been meet with apologies
Rgds

Rotor
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 8:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Finally now living in Lo Marabu, Rojales, and it feels like home
andyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rotor

You are right I no longer let cars out but its not an us and them thing ,no one lets anyone out which is fine by me as I do the sameas for pushing in Ive seen plenty of that in the UK by the wrinkly brigade as well, over here I just say excuse me its my turn next which has always been meet with apologies
Rgds

Rotor
I agree with that, the coffin dodgers always pushing in anywhere you go
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 9:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
You have to put moralising arguments to one side here, as emotions run high and then people are incapable of thinking rationally. OK?

Paedophilia is a particularly pernicious crime, because each paedo will almost certainly create many more.

Cruel and unusual punishments are no answer at all except to gratify the sadistic impulses of those people. Punishment is no deterrence to a hardened criminal, and a paedo make a hardened crim look like warm butter in their determination to feed their addiction.

The only answer is to treat them in such a way as to protect society and prevent further offending. I can assure you that castration, chemical or otherwise will not affect their drives.

My suggestion is perfectly simple. First offence, on top of the legal punishments, shred their passport and place them under regular checks from a probation officer. They would have to be registered, denied all access to computers and the internet, and required to inform their parole officer if they intend to travel. A second offence would indicate that they were unable to control themselves, and should be constrained in Broadmoor for the rest of their natural as mentally ill and a permanent danger to the general public.

I must say I agree with your suggestion on controling these freaks of nature,Broadmoor for life would be the way and most people would accept that ,as for the age of consent I would like to see it set at 18 world/euro wide except when both partys were under 18 lower it to 16,I feel very strongly about this as I have a young daughter,if any "adult" comes calling for her upto 18 yrs his next stop will be centro salud ,this is not macho talk but fact.

Anyone wanting to have a relationship with an under 16 yr old is a very sick person in my view and should seek help.
Is the age of consent in Spain 13? if so I think that is terrible, if you can remeber back to when you were 13 do you think you were responsable enough to have a physical relationship? And parents how would you feel if you found out your 13 yr old daughter had been sleeping with say a 40 yr old man?I think my actions would land me in jail and not the pervert!

Rgds

Rotor
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 9:09 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andyrich666
But Bil my point is this first offence could be totally legal if carried out in another country such as Spain where the legal age of consent is 13, this is where its difficult as different countries have different views, should someone be subjected to any punishment when returning to the UK if they have not broke any law in the country they are / were residing in.

These are the points I make, and I dont think this is correct
my understanding of the law, as it was explained to me by a chief of police, is that the age of consent applies to what I can only think of as 'children' of a similar age ( I have a daughter of nearly 13)

an older man & a girl of 13 would still be cosidered illegal
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 10:21 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Rotor, a very serious piece of advice for you.

If you take that attitude with any male that your daughter is interested enough in to invite them to come to the house, then you will stand an excellent chance of pushing her straight into his arms. Trust me on this, I have seen it happen.

One of mine used to bring some right specimens home. I would just smile sweetly, and treat them as tho they were one of the family. Result was, she tended to ditch them very quickly. If I genuinely liked the boy I would never say anything to her.

I once asked someone why she had married a very unpleasant man. She replied 'Because my father told me not to.'

I learned a very important lesson that day, at no cost to myself. You could do the same.
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 10:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bil
Rotor, a very serious piece of advice for you.

If you take that attitude with any male that your daughter is interested enough in to invite them to come to the house, then you will stand an excellent chance of pushing her straight into his arms. Trust me on this, I have seen it happen.

One of mine used to bring some right specimens home. I would just smile sweetly, and treat them as tho they were one of the family. Result was, she tended to ditch them very quickly. If I genuinely liked the boy I would never say anything to her.

I once asked someone why she had married a very unpleasant man. She replied 'Because my father told me not to.'

I learned a very important lesson that day, at no cost to myself. You could do the same.
I appreciate your advise , I know its going to be tough for me as she`s a stuborn little so and so, its all 9/10 years away (I hope) so maybe I will have mellowed a bit by then!

Rgds

Rotor
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 10:57 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

I appreciate your advise , I know its going to be tough for me as she`s a stuborn little so and so, its all 9/10 years away (I hope) so maybe I will have mellowed a bit by then!

Rgds

Rotor
Seriously sport, bear it in mind. One other very useful parenting skill is prevarication. Never do today what you can put off for the next few years. One of them wanted an iguana, which is a very unsuitable pet, and no way was I having one in the house, as Muggins here would be the one looking after it.

My response was, 'Of course you can. But they are very difficult to keep, and need to be looked after properly. I will buy you a book, and when you have read up and learned how to do it, then we will look at some."

Oddly she never ended up with one, and the only cost to me was a book.

Old Aug 22nd 2008, 11:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bil
Seriously sport, bear it in mind. One other very useful parenting skill is prevarication. Never do today what you can put off for the next few years. One of them wanted an iguana, which is a very unsuitable pet, and no way was I having one in the house, as Muggins here would be the one looking after it.

My response was, 'Of course you can. But they are very difficult to keep, and need to be looked after properly. I will buy you a book, and when you have read up and learned how to do it, then we will look at some."

Oddly she never ended up with one, and the only cost to me was a book.

We had a similar thing recently, she`s been asking for a dog for the last six months,then a friend asked if we would look after a half grown alsation pup for 10 days, daughter was very keen but after 10 days of having her toys chewed and eaten plus having to clean up c__p every morning she decided to stick with her pet tom cat

Rgds

Rotor
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 4:42 pm
bil
Banned

Repeat after me.

Prevarication is your friend,

is your friend,

is your friend!!!
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 5:29 pm

poshnbucks has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by andyrich666
I agree with that, the coffin dodgers always pushing in anywhere you go

I'm nearly that age but I can still raise a diamond cutter without the help of the items in the piccy below.

Last edited by poshnbucks; May 30th 2009 at 5:39 am.
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 7:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Finally now living in Lo Marabu, Rojales, and it feels like home
andyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond repute

I must say I agree with your suggestion on controling these freaks of nature,Broadmoor for life would be the way and most people would accept that ,as for the age of consent I would like to see it set at 18 world/euro wide except when both partys were under 18 lower it to 16,I feel very strongly about this as I have a young daughter,if any "adult" comes calling for her upto 18 yrs his next stop will be centro salud ,this is not macho talk but fact.

Anyone wanting to have a relationship with an under 16 yr old is a very sick person in my view and should seek help.
Is the age of consent in Spain 13? if so I think that is terrible, if you can remeber back to when you were 13 do you think you were responsable enough to have a physical relationship? And parents how would you feel if you found out your 13 yr old daughter had been sleeping with say a 40 yr old man?I think my actions would land me in jail and not the pervert!

Rgds

Rotor
So ... you are saying that harm is not actually the issue?

You don't like 'predatory adults' (which is natural) to 'satisfy their own cravings' (which is natural)?

You also don't like 'sexually precocious' minors (which is natural) to 'satisfy their own cravings' (which is natural)?

as for the age of consent I would like to see it set at 18 world/euro wide except when both partys were under 18 lower it to 16

Where do ''predatory, sexually precocious' minors fit into your schema?
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 9:56 pm
bil
Banned

I must admit that when you hear the blond teacher who has sex with an under aged pupil, in my day they were not known as victims, they were known as 'Lucky B*stards'.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.