Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Route to Alicante

Route to Alicante

Old Dec 3rd 2007, 9:36 am
Just Joined

MAKSN is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Route to Alicante

Hi does anyone who has driven over could give me the route for Alicante driving over in January 08. Also the ferry route to Sandtander does not go until April is there any other routes anyone has done. Any info would be appreciated.
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 9:42 am
Forum Regular

keddyboy has a brilliant futurekeddyboy has a brilliant futurekeddyboy has a brilliant futurekeddyboy has a brilliant futurekeddyboy has a brilliant futurekeddyboy has a brilliant future
Default Re: Route to Alicante

Firstly use the Mitchellin or RAC Route Finders and print out for reference.
What about Portsmouth to Bibao route is that open?
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 9:45 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Go to viamichelin, they will give you a route.

I've always gone Dover Calais and down through Rheims, Lyon, Montpellier, Nimes, Barcelona etc on the motorway. Tolls are about €130.

I have also done Portsmout / St Malo and driven down the west coast and over the Pyranees and I preferred that drive although the ferry is much more expensive.
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 11:10 am
BE Enthusiast

jeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nice

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Go to viamichelin, they will give you a route.

I've always gone Dover Calais and down through Rheims, Lyon, Montpellier, Nimes, Barcelona etc on the motorway. Tolls are about €130.

I have also done Portsmout / St Malo and driven down the west coast and over the Pyranees and I preferred that drive although the ferry is much more expensive.
hey Mitzy
Hubby's driving down on 21st dec, i've looked at the Portsmouth/st malo route for him thinking he could get a sleep on the ferry as it's about 6 hours isn't it? what do you think that route would be like weather wise at that time of year? I'm taking the quick route myself...... by air
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 2:00 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeanc
hey Mitzy
Hubby's driving down on 21st dec, i've looked at the Portsmouth/st malo route for him thinking he could get a sleep on the ferry as it's about 6 hours isn't it? what do you think that route would be like weather wise at that time of year? I'm taking the quick route myself...... by air
Ahhh ... well the road over the Pyranees is a fairly main one so I would imagine they would keep it clear, but I have no experience of it at that time of year as we went over in October. Scenery is fantastic. You'll get down to Bordeaux roughly or just past on the first day.
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 7:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Solarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to all

Ahhh ... well the road over the Pyranees is a fairly main one so I would imagine they would keep it clear, but I have no experience of it at that time of year as we went over in October. Scenery is fantastic. You'll get down to Bordeaux roughly or just past on the first day.
I did the Portsmouth Lehavre, route in Jan, and went Chartre, Orleans, Limoges Toulouse Perpignan , Barcelona, and on down the Via Mediteraneo,
The Pyrenees, were sleeting and Heavy snow drifts, and the traffic was very slow, lots of lorries, stranded, but no real problems for a car.
Stop over at Perpignan, split the journey nicely. About 18 hours driving in Total.

Ferry to Santander and Bilbao, stop in Winter as to rough,

Last edited by Solarwhizz; Dec 3rd 2007 at 7:35 pm.
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 11:40 pm
Forum Regular

Splatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud of

I hope not as I am coming over Portsmouth - Bilbao next week.
Should I pack some sick bags?
Old Dec 4th 2007, 7:13 am
Just Joined

MAKSN is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Route to Alicante

Thank you everyone for the routes will will try Dover to Calais route and check out Ferrys.
Old Dec 5th 2007, 4:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Solarwhizz
Hi

Portmouth to Bilbao are not sailing in most of January except for the first week. They then seem to start up again in February for the rest of year.

We often talk about driving to the channel but then do our sums and say to hell with it. We're going back third week in Dec for £199 inc car and cabin.

Works for us.

Jim
Old Dec 5th 2007, 6:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

jeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nicejeanc is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bigger Jim
Hi

Portmouth to Bilbao are not sailing in most of January except for the first week. They then seem to start up again in February for the rest of year.

We often talk about driving to the channel but then do our sums and say to hell with it. We're going back third week in Dec for £199 inc car and cabin.

Works for us.

Jim
we have booked portsmouth to st malo. the santader route does not run after dec until march
Old Dec 5th 2007, 7:46 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by jeanc
we have booked portsmouth to st malo. the santader route does not run after dec until march
Have breakfast in St Malo, its a wonderful town
Old Dec 5th 2007, 7:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

montgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond repute

Have breakfast in St Malo, its a wonderful town
I'll second that.