Roses

Old Aug 2nd 2018, 10:09 am
Forum Regular

Hornets_Nest will become famous soon enough
Default Roses

Does anyone here live in or around Roses? What kind of area is it to live in and what is it like off season? I have spent some holidays in L'Escala but only ever drove past Roses but it does tick a few boxes for my partner who doesn't want to stray too far from the French border as she wants to be able to visit places like Montpelier every now and again.
Old Aug 2nd 2018, 10:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Roses

Originally Posted by Hornets_Nest
Does anyone here live in or around Roses? What kind of area is it to live in and what is it like off season? I have spent some holidays in L'Escala but only ever drove past Roses but it does tick a few boxes for my partner who doesn't want to stray too far from the French border as she wants to be able to visit places like Montpelier every now and again.
Been to Roses many times and love it there, although living will be completely different. Like many places it gets very quiet off season and from a weather point of view, the bay can see very strong winds (tramontana) and can get cold. Also being very close to France (less development, people with cash), property prices are expensive. Well at least for me it was too expensive and even when you look at overall sunshine hours/rain, it's probably not for everyone. Between Blanes and Palamos you get a lot more sunshine hours and not as windy/wet and cheaper.
Old Aug 2nd 2018, 11:12 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Been to Roses many times and love it there, although living will be completely different. Like many places it gets very quiet off season and from a weather point of view, the bay can see very strong winds (tramontana) and can get cold. Also being very close to France (less development, people with cash), property prices are expensive. Well at least for me it was too expensive and even when you look at overall sunshine hours/rain, it's probably not for everyone. Between Blanes and Palamos you get a lot more sunshine hours and not as windy/wet and cheaper.
Thanks for the reply.

As far as the climate is concerned I don't think this will be a problem as we would like to see some colder weather in the winter season. If we opt for Roses it will be a combined purchase with some relatives and that will up the budget. If we go it alone my preference is still for the Costa Tropical although we haven't discounted Alicante yet.
Old Aug 2nd 2018, 12:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hornets_Nest
Thanks for the reply.

As far as the climate is concerned I don't think this will be a problem as we would like to see some colder weather in the winter season. If we opt for Roses it will be a combined purchase with some relatives and that will up the budget. If we go it alone my preference is still for the Costa Tropical although we haven't discounted Alicante yet.
One of the reasons we considered Costa Brava was that the climate suits me, easy to drive to and I like some green:-). The thing is that Roses is actually quite rocky and doesn't have that much green or trees in general. Why not consider areas between Blanes/Lloret up to Platja d'Aro. Just outside the main towns, property can still be affordable compared to other parts and you have everything you need really.
Old Aug 2nd 2018, 1:29 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Moses2013
One of the reasons we considered Costa Brava was that the climate suits me, easy to drive to and I like some green:-). The thing is that Roses is actually quite rocky and doesn't have that much green or trees in general. Why not consider areas between Blanes/Lloret up to Platja d'Aro. Just outside the main towns, property can still be affordable compared to other parts and you have everything you need really.
Think we need to go down again to spend some more time there off season. There is no rush and I'm sure once you move inland a little property becomes better value. So much is up in the air at the moment with Brexit and the rubbish exchange rate - hopefully next year things will look a little better.

Thanks for the advice = Blanes also has the advantage of being closer to Barcelona.