Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Roofers in Spain

Roofers in Spain

Old Jan 19th 2021, 10:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Roofers in Spain

Originally Posted by Dxf
Hola

Can I offer a piece of advice? Why not come here for a holiday and watch a roof being done?

Davexf

That sounds like a fun holiday .

Roofing isnt rocket science so any UK builder / roofer would soon pick it up , however I think theres virtually no chance of a Brit walking into a construction job in Spain , even if you were fluent Spanish , Spanish roofers/builders will always be at the front of the queue and theres plenty of them unemployed at the moment , thats the reality of it.

Last edited by Rotor; Jan 19th 2021 at 10:24 am.
Old Jan 19th 2021, 10:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rotor
Roofing isnt rocket science so any UK builder / roofer would soon pick it up , however I think theres virtually no chance of a Brit walking into a construction job in Spain , even if you were fluent Spanish , Spanish roofers/builders will always be at the front of the queue and theres plenty of them unemployed at the moment , thats the reality of it.
Careful Rotor, that was a bit negative, the OP might hit the roof again
(Sorry couldn't resisit it)
Actually I thought Dxf's suggestion was sensible and helpful. Spending a "holiday" where in fact you spend time finding out more about the country you're thinking of moving to, seems pretty essential to me?
To the OP - yes I freely admit I am locked down and bored and right now I am a bit short of productive ways to spend my time as an individual.
Old Jan 19th 2021, 11:12 am
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
Actually I thought Dxf's suggestion was sensible and helpful. Spending a "holiday" where in fact you spend time finding out more about the country you're thinking of moving to, seems pretty essential to me?
To the OP - yes I freely admit I am locked down and bored and right now I am a bit short of productive ways to spend my time as an individual.
Thank you Sir, you are a Gentleman.

Davexf
Old Jan 19th 2021, 3:44 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rotor
That sounds like a fun holiday .

I think one could say that about any trade. Unfortunately, there are many shoddy / careless tradesmen about, or maybe that is just in my experience(?) <LOL>.
Old Jan 19th 2021, 8:29 pm
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

There are businesses which do maintenance and handyman type stuff for comunidades de vecinos and urbanizaciones. Perhaps not the dream job but it's a job.

The only thing is the areas which have lots of English speaking customers (i.e. you could scrape by with worse Spanish) aren't the areas in the north of Spain which have lots of tiled roofs (where you could use your skills).
Old Jan 20th 2021, 6:42 am
BE Forum Addict

el collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond repute

Being x construction the one thing I thought I could cope with was working in the heat, Well I soon found that out dripping wet just pushing a wheelbarrow. In the present climate my advice is to wait a while until things settle down. Also as said come for a long holiday in the summer and see if you can find some work and gain some experience of working and materials used and methods. With work done on the house I have learnt a lot but I am no longer capable strenuous or fiscal work. Good luck. OH yeah don't forget construction shuts down for a month in august.
Old Jan 20th 2021, 7:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Chipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond repute

As a teacher I am afraid that it will be hard to find a teaching position in Spain now due to Brexit. Employers will need to complete more paperwork to employ UK nationals and given that many initial jobs are just a few hours a week it simply isn't worth it. Larger contracts might be available but that would probably mean having to move to bigger places and again its unlikely that an employer would go to all that work if you have no real experience and have to wait for paperwork to be approved etc. I feel that if you have just completed a CELTA the organizers should have pointed out the effects of Brexit on the job market. The only other possible avenue is automino and online teaching but I am not sure you can get a visa that way. If you really want to teach you will either need to take a position in somewhere like China which has a large market or remain in UK teaching online.
Old Jan 20th 2021, 7:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

According to this site https://www.spainvisa.eu/visa-types/work-visa/ (which hasn't been updated since brexit) there is a visa for self employed but it might not be easy to get.
Old Jan 20th 2021, 8:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Auditedherbivore
Have any of you people with no helpful responses ever thought of not replying to a question or thread if you have nothing useful to say....are you all that bored in life you find a new comment on here and take the time and effort to respond and post. Surely there must be a more productive way to soend your time as an individual rather than post negative comments on Internet forums
Firstly, welcome to the forum!
You may have already left though, and closed the door behind you, which is saddening as you've been given excellent advise - without any word of thanks in return.
It was obviously not the news you wished to hear, which doesn't distract from the fact that most members here like to show the true picture, which is as it should be.

Had to smile at the quote from DXF, "Thank you Sir, you are a Gentleman."

Old Jan 20th 2021, 8:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
Had to smile at the quote from DXF, "Thank you Sir, you are a Gentleman."
I am a lot more gentlemanly than many who were schooled at Eton.

Old Jan 20th 2021, 8:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

I am a lot more gentlemanly than many who were schooled at Eton.
If that's so, I'll tip my top-hat to you!