Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Robbed in Spain

Robbed in Spain

Old Nov 7th 2007, 8:49 pm
Forum Regular

sapper has a spectacular aura aboutsapper has a spectacular aura aboutsapper has a spectacular aura about
Default Robbed in Spain

Well not by the usual culprits Banks,Estate agents,Solicitors Builders.no i am talking about real robbery.
Including my wife we know 7 close friends who have made trips to the Malaga Torremolinos Belamadena areas who have been robbed during the past 6 months in supermarkets, streets, shops, on buses trains etc. Is it just us or what is the scale of this problem. I am not talking about tourists i am talking about people who have lived here many years.
When reporting to the police they are basically not interested. Denuncia is all they do, which is of course essential if you want to make a claim or renew documents.
I would be interested to know if others are having the same problem. Areas to avoid ect. We were robbed in Carrafore Los Patios Malaga.
Old Nov 7th 2007, 9:10 pm
Click my Signature

sjrw is a name known to allsjrw is a name known to allsjrw is a name known to allsjrw is a name known to allsjrw is a name known to allsjrw is a name known to allsjrw is a name known to allsjrw is a name known to allsjrw is a name known to allsjrw is a name known to allsjrw is a name known to all
Default Re: Robbed in Spain

denuncia - ha! I spit on your denuncia. What IS the point??

we lost a cheque for 18000 euros 2 years ago. we have just managed to get it back with NO INTEREST, and , sorry, AND we have to pay a solicitor, plus their (the bank) solicitor, plus court costs plus all expenses.

Dont lose a cheque in spain.
If you do it has by law to go to court
(Unless of course the manager decides to reissue it)

The entire spanish system is out to rob the brits.
Old Nov 7th 2007, 9:39 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sapper
Well not by the usual culprits Banks,Estate agents,Solicitors Builders.no i am talking about real robbery.
Including my wife we know 7 close friends who have made trips to the Malaga Torremolinos Belamadena areas who have been robbed during the past 6 months in supermarkets, streets, shops, on buses trains etc. Is it just us or what is the scale of this problem. I am not talking about tourists i am talking about people who have lived here many years.
When reporting to the police they are basically not interested. Denuncia is all they do, which is of course essential if you want to make a claim or renew documents.
I would be interested to know if others are having the same problem. Areas to avoid ect. We were robbed in Carrafore Los Patios Malaga.
How do you mean robbed ?
Old Nov 7th 2007, 9:42 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

We were robbed in Carrafore Los Patios Malaga.
You mean you were overcharged?
Old Nov 7th 2007, 11:19 pm
Click my Signature

sjrw is a name known to allsjrw is a name known to allsjrw is a name known to allsjrw is a name known to allsjrw is a name known to allsjrw is a name known to allsjrw is a name known to allsjrw is a name known to allsjrw is a name known to allsjrw is a name known to allsjrw is a name known to all

I thought Carrefour's prices weren't too bad
Old Nov 8th 2007, 6:14 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Mugging happens in all areas in Spain, just as it does in all areas of the UK, and probably all area of the world. The only advice I can give is to keep your things safe, not hand handbags for the hook on supermarket trolleys, not have the handbag in the trolley, keep all bags etc closed. It's the same advice I would give to anyone in the UK. It's just plain common sense.
Old Nov 8th 2007, 7:56 am
Forum Regular

sapper has a spectacular aura aboutsapper has a spectacular aura aboutsapper has a spectacular aura about

I mean Rob or Robbed a brief look in my tiny Collins dictionary
gave me Cheat ,defraud,deprive, despoil, filch. pilfer, pillage, pinch, plunder, rifle, sack, steal, and strip.
I think thats enough to emphasise the level of street crime that goes on by the groups of thieves who are operating in and around the Malaga area and nearby resorts.They are unchallenged by the police and security guards who have no interest hence they repeat the crimes constantly.
I thought it was a serious point and maybe by discussing it we may be able to stop others having the same disaster.
Old Nov 8th 2007, 8:01 am
Forum Regular

No i find carrafore pices reasonable. My wife and another freind had their purses removed from their bags whilst shopping . The robbery was skillful and well planned. We did not fingd out until the checkout
Old Nov 8th 2007, 8:16 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Mugging happens in all areas in Spain, just as it does in all areas of the UK, and probably all area of the world. The only advice I can give is to keep your things safe, not hand handbags for the hook on supermarket trolleys, not have the handbag in the trolley, keep all bags etc closed. It's the same advice I would give to anyone in the UK. It's just plain common sense.
Agreed and we thought we did look after our things when shopping ect.
I agree it happens all over the world but what is wrong with doing something about it.In Malaga these groups are well know and very active, they could be caught by the local boy scouts never mind the police. I thought by highlighting it we may make people more aware and stop it happening to them.
Old Nov 8th 2007, 9:07 am
Click my Signature

Another thing is damage limitation.
We are not going to stop it so limit the damage caused by not keeping all valuables together in the same place. If I have to shop with my wife we split cards and money etc, and always have any money spread about our (inside or zipped) pockets so that the chance of losing ALL our money/cards/etc is substantially decreased. My wife usually keeps a spare purse in her bag with just a few euros in it to give to robbers in the unlikely event that.....
Just a thought, but after being mugged at gunpoint in New Orleans in 1991 and having everything in a bum bag around my waist ripped from me (including passport/army id/money...) (after all, we all think its going to be safe there right in front of us and attached) I learned.
Old Nov 8th 2007, 12:06 pm
Forum Regular

Negada is just really niceNegada is just really niceNegada is just really niceNegada is just really niceNegada is just really niceNegada is just really niceNegada is just really niceNegada is just really nice

Agreed and we thought we did look after our things when shopping ect.
I agree it happens all over the world but what is wrong with doing something about it.In Malaga these groups are well know and very active, they could be caught by the local boy scouts never mind the police. I thought by highlighting it we may make people more aware and stop it happening to them.

I appreciate your posting, Sapper, as I'm sure many others do. From my experience with the local police and Guardia Civil, just fill in the forms and go on your merry way seems to be the attitude...Last week, my mother nearly got scammed in a hotel carpark near Torrevieja. The usual story - one of them distracts the driver by pretending that something is wrong with the back of the car in the hope that the driver gets out and then the accomplice dives in the car to take the handbag or whatever. Or they stick a piece of paper on your back window. The list goes on...all we can do is have our wits about us and ignore that nice, young man who is trying to help!
Old Nov 8th 2007, 5:11 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Negada
I appreciate your posting, Sapper, as I'm sure many others do. From my experience with the local police and Guardia Civil, just fill in the forms and go on your merry way seems to be the attitude...Last week, my mother nearly got scammed in a hotel carpark near Torrevieja. The usual story - one of them distracts the driver by pretending that something is wrong with the back of the car in the hope that the driver gets out and then the accomplice dives in the car to take the handbag or whatever. Or they stick a piece of paper on your back window. The list goes on...all we can do is have our wits about us and ignore that nice, young man who is trying to help!
Well from the replys to my posting of the thread I thought my frends and I were the only ones effected. At least your mother in law had the presence of mind to avoid it.
If it was my mother in law they would not dare!!!
Old Nov 8th 2007, 5:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
You mean you were overcharged?
Overcharged most weeks but thats in my control but i said Robbed see dictionary for meaning if you are not sure!!!!!
Old Nov 8th 2007, 6:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

TheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond repute

Definition of Robbery in Law. (if memory serves me correctly)

A person steals and at the time, and in order to do so uses force on any person or puts or seeks to put that person at the time in fear of being then and there subject to force.

ie theft accompanied by actual violence or the fear of violence. the violence must be used against the person, not the person property.
Old Nov 8th 2007, 6:25 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheArmChairDetective
Definition of Robbery in Law. (if memory serves me correctly)

A person steals and at the time, and in order to do so uses force on any person or puts or seeks to put that person at the time in fear of being then and there subject to force.

ie theft accompanied by actual violence or the fear of violence. the violence must be used against the person, not the person property.
We need a good detective on the case. ;-))
He still hasn`t said if it was a pickpocket, a bag snatch, a mugging, an armed robbery or whatever.
Most of these things happen worldwide, so I don`t think its isolated to Benalmadena.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.