Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Right Hand Drive in Spain.

Right Hand Drive in Spain.

Old Nov 13th 2014, 2:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

petew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nice
Default Right Hand Drive in Spain.

I am thinking of buying a Spanish registered right hand drive car - fully legal etc. I have experience of the minor problems involved with driving on the "wrong" side, having driven a lot in the UK in my left hand drive car. Also years ago, before we moved to Spain, I used to visit Spain in my UK car. However what I am wondering about is unforeseen problems like - does it attract extra attention from Trafico? Any comments (preferably based on experience) would be welcome.
Old Nov 13th 2014, 3:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

olivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Right Hand Drive in Spain.

Resale value should be low i.e. you should be buying cheaply because when you come to sell you won't get much for it.

Practical issues. Not a lot really. Overtaking is harder and getting in and out of barrier controlled car parks and through motorway tolls is a fag unless there are always two of you.

Insurance wise I don't think there is any loading here for RHD. Not that I discerned anyway.

From a novelty point of view when you offer a Spaniard a lift they always get in the wrong side. You just toss them the keys and watch their eyes go even wider.
Old Nov 13th 2014, 3:16 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

There's still a few countries that drive on the "correct" side of the road. Not many, though. No wonder so many Brits so oft seem to believe the entire world is "wrong".

List of left- & right-driving countries - World Standards
Old Nov 13th 2014, 3:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

petew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nice

Originally Posted by amideislas
There's still a few countries that drive on the "correct" side of the road. Not many, though. No wonder so many Brits so oft seem to believe the entire world is "wrong".

List of left- & right-driving countries - World Standards
With all due respect I think you may be hi-jacking my post !!
Old Nov 13th 2014, 3:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by olivefarmer
Resale value should be low i.e. you should be buying cheaply because when you come to sell you won't get much for it.

Practical issues. Not a lot really. Overtaking is harder and getting in and out of barrier controlled car parks and through motorway tolls is a fag unless there are always two of you.

Insurance wise I don't think there is any loading here for RHD. Not that I discerned anyway.

From a novelty point of view when you offer a Spaniard a lift they always get in the wrong side. You just toss them the keys and watch their eyes go even wider.
Thanks - I would be buying at a fair price. The car would probably end up being left in the UK back on UK plates, eventually. The issues you mention I already am aware of except for the insurance info. It sounds as though you own, or have owned, such a car.
Old Nov 13th 2014, 4:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond repute

As olive farmer says, the biggest drawback to them is barrier entries and toll booths, unless you have a passenger to do the necessary. The few times I have been stopped by traffico when our car was still UK registered, they haven't noticed the plates, they just go to passenger side, realise the steering wheel is on the 'wrong side' and waved us away no questions asked. Up to now since its been spanish registered we haven't been stopped at a checkpoint- hope it stays that way!
Old Nov 13th 2014, 4:05 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petew
Thanks - I would be buying at a fair price. The car would probably end up being left in the UK back on UK plates, eventually. The issues you mention I already am aware of except for the insurance info. It sounds as though you own, or have owned, such a car.
We do and insurance is not loaded - we don't have any problems except those mentioned.
Old Nov 13th 2014, 4:11 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

With all due respect I think you may be hi-jacking my post !!
Somehow, I reckon you'll get through it. I have complete confidence in you!
Old Nov 13th 2014, 4:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by amideislas
Somehow, I reckon you'll get through it. I have complete confidence in you!
Despite your attempt to divert the discussion, I have had some very useful information .
Old Nov 13th 2014, 4:58 pm
Banned

Despite your attempt to divert the discussion, I have had some very useful information .
I knew you could do it.

Stick with me.
Old Nov 13th 2014, 5:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

I'm not too worried about problems such as toll booths - someone is normally with me and toll booths are a nuisance rather than an impossibility (I manage ok at car parks in the UK in my LHD car). We don't actually use our car that often - we tend to walk everywhere in the town where we live. The car would be used mainly for longer trips.
Old Nov 13th 2014, 5:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

[QUOTE=amideislas;11470832]I knew you could do it.

Stick with me. [/QU

I don't know about Tolls, we seem to have Trolls on here..
Old Nov 13th 2014, 6:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

jonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not too worried about problems such as toll booths - someone is normally with me and toll booths are a nuisance rather than an impossibility (I manage ok at car parks in the UK in my LHD car). We don't actually use our car that often - we tend to walk everywhere in the town where we live. The car would be used mainly for longer trips.
Brace yourself,......... So you have a left hand drive car in the UK and a right hand drive one in Spain and you wish to know about unforeseen problems
Old Nov 13th 2014, 7:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jonboy
Brace yourself,......... So you have a left hand drive car in the UK and a right hand drive one in Spain and you wish to know about unforeseen problems
Sorry I completely fail to see the point you are making. I don' t have a left hand drive car in the UK nor do I have a right hand drive car in Spain. Have you actually read my posts ?

Last edited by petew; Nov 13th 2014 at 7:56 pm.
Old Nov 13th 2014, 8:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

PS This is supposed to be a forum for constructive discussion and exchanging useful information.
Not for honing ones' snide sarcasm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.