Reload this Page >

Riding a scooter/small motorbike in Spain/Gibraltar

Riding a scooter/small motorbike in Spain/Gibraltar

Old Apr 19th 2009, 10:49 am
s1h
Just Joined

s1h is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Riding a scooter/small motorbike in Spain/Gibraltar

Hello, can anyone give me some advice on this. I am in the UK right now lived here all my 28 years apart from some short spells away whilst travelling.

Redundant and looking for a job at the moment, am considering Gibraltar and living in Spain and doing as many do using a scooter etc to get about.

Just a query with regards to licences. In the UK I have a Provisional driving licence, and a CBT certificate which allows me to ride any bike/scooter up to a 125cc. I don't have a car licence or a full bike licence. A 125 has been fine for me to get around on so I never bothered doing the full test just a cbt every couple years.

What is the crack with me getting a bike or scooter in spain? Will the licence and CBT I have be ok. Do you even need one (licence)? Do I need to do some other test or training? I have been riding for 5 years now so don't think it would cause me a problem.

Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 19th 2009, 11:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Riding a scooter/small motorbike in Spain/Gibraltar

Originally Posted by s1h
Hello, can anyone give me some advice on this. I am in the UK right now lived here all my 28 years apart from some short spells away whilst travelling.

Redundant and looking for a job at the moment, am considering Gibraltar and living in Spain and doing as many do using a scooter etc to get about.

Just a query with regards to licences. In the UK I have a Provisional driving licence, and a CBT certificate which allows me to ride any bike/scooter up to a 125cc. I don't have a car licence or a full bike licence. A 125 has been fine for me to get around on so I never bothered doing the full test just a cbt every couple years.

What is the crack with me getting a bike or scooter in spain? Will the licence and CBT I have be ok. Do you even need one (licence)? Do I need to do some other test or training? I have been riding for 5 years now so don't think it would cause me a problem.

Thanks in advance.
It is hard to get a job in Gibraltar at the moment. See other threads.
Old Apr 19th 2009, 12:05 pm
s1h
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
It is hard to get a job in Gibraltar at the moment. See other threads.
Thanks for that but without sounding rude that wasn't my question.
Old Apr 19th 2009, 1:10 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

UK provisional licences are only valid in the UK.

You should get your full licence before you come to Spain otherwise you will have to take a test in Spain - not recommended!
Old Apr 19th 2009, 1:16 pm
s1h
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Fred James
UK provisional licences are only valid in the UK.

You should get your full licence before you come to Spain otherwise you will have to take a test in Spain - not recommended!
So you have to have a full licence even to ride a moped in spain? What about all the kids you see on them? Surely they don't have full licences?
Old Apr 19th 2009, 2:36 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by s1h
So you have to have a full licence even to ride a moped in spain? What about all the kids you see on them? Surely they don't have full licences?
They don`t have provisional licences here, you take a course and take a profiency test and get a licence to drive them.
Can you speak Spanish and know the Spanish highway code ?, if not do as Fred says.
Old Apr 19th 2009, 2:55 pm
s1h
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jdr
They don`t have provisional licences here, you take a course and take a profiency test and get a licence to drive them.
Can you speak Spanish and know the Spanish highway code ?, if not do as Fred says.
Cant do either. Shame as I didn't really want to have to spend money on doing the test over here, its about to change and getting very expensive and a lot harder Im told.

Its different in Spain to France then as Im sure in France you can ride a moped without any licence if your over 18.
Old Apr 19th 2009, 3:04 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by s1h
Cant do either. Shame as I didn't really want to have to spend money on doing the test over here, its about to change and getting very expensive and a lot harder Im told.

Its different in Spain to France then as Im sure in France you can ride a moped without any licence if your over 18.
Driving without a licence has just been changed to a criminal offence with a possible high jail sentence over here, about the same as armed robbers get in the UK. ;-))

HERE
Old Apr 19th 2009, 3:07 pm
s1h
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jdr
Driving without a licence has just been changed to a criminal offence with a possible high jail sentence over here, about the same as armed robbers get in the UK. ;-))

HERE
Bloody hell, and I have read loads of posts on forums about people riding bikes over there with a provisional licence.
Old Apr 19th 2009, 3:09 pm
s1h
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jdr

HERE
Madness, and im always reading on forums about people riding bikes/scooters with just a uk provisional licence.
Old Apr 19th 2009, 11:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

big wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond repute

Problem is that even a full UK bike test does not include how to ride with a toddler sat on the tank, a sack of oranges balanced on the handlebars and a dog running behind tied to the bike with string. All this while the license holder is smoking a fag and sending a text message on his phone.

I HAVE SEEN THIS.
Old Apr 20th 2009, 7:42 am
BE Enthusiast

poolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to behold

ha ha that post was q funny.

I thought you could only do a CBT with a full car licence but obviously not. You can only ride a 125 in Spain with a full car licence so you would be illegal unless you did the full bike test.

There are loads of Police checks & they will confiscate your bike if ridden illegally leaving you stranded somewhere so be warned.
Old Apr 20th 2009, 8:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=poolboy;7495111] <snips>

I thought you could only do a CBT with a full car licence but obviously not. You can only ride a 125 in Spain with a full car licence QUOTE]

.... so you can ride a 125 in Spain on a full car licence? And since OP's asking about licences, can anyone just clarify the minefield that is
you can or you can't drive legally in Spain on a UK licence given that your UK address may or may not still be valid???

(I know there are plenty of other threads, thought it might usefully all be in an answer in this one though....sorry!)
Old Apr 20th 2009, 8:29 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fionamw
.... so you can ride a 125 in Spain on a full car licence? )
A UK car licence allows you to ride a 125cc bike in Spain but you must have had the full licence for 3 years.

As for the other issues re addresses, as you say, there are many other threads on that subject so let's keep this thread on topic please.
Old Apr 20th 2009, 8:36 am
Forum Regular

hitchw is just really nicehitchw is just really nicehitchw is just really nicehitchw is just really nicehitchw is just really nicehitchw is just really nicehitchw is just really nicehitchw is just really nicehitchw is just really nicehitchw is just really nice

regardless of some of the answers on this thread, you can get insured over there on a provisional for a 125cc...thus the reason that you can rent 125ccs from the likes of moto mercado!!! the cbt is irrelevant over there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.