Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Riding a motorcycle in spain

Riding a motorcycle in spain

Old Sep 9th 2012, 12:27 pm
Just Joined

watson6 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Riding a motorcycle in spain

Im going to be living in Spain for a year as part of my uni course. Because of the location I need to either buy a car or motorbike. Im 21 and have a full car licence and a CBT for bike.

Im getting confusing advice about what I can do!

any help would be much appreciated

Rob
Old Sep 9th 2012, 12:30 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Riding a motorcycle in spain

Originally Posted by watson6
Im going to be living in Spain for a year as part of my uni course. Because of the location I need to either buy a car or motorbike. Im 21 and have a full car licence and a CBT for bike.

Rob
if you have a full car licence you can both drive a car & ride a motorbike in Spain
Old Sep 9th 2012, 12:38 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
if you have a full car licence you can both drive a car & ride a motorbike in Spain
Not quite.

If you have a full car licence you can drive a motorcycle up to 125cc.

You must also have held the car licence for 3 years.
Old Sep 9th 2012, 12:47 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for replies. So, as I see it, I cannot ride a motorcycle as I have only had my licence 30 months. Is taking some sort of Spanish CBT an option?

Thanks
Old Sep 9th 2012, 12:49 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
Not quite.

If you have a full car licence you can drive a motorcycle up to 125cc.

You must also have held the car licence for 3 years.
I thought there might be a size limit but expected it to be higher than that...............

my 16 year old can get bike licence for a 125 though - I wonder why they do that

he can drive/buy a car though, right? although hiring one would be tricky
Old Sep 9th 2012, 12:53 pm
Just Joined

i get the impression that insurance for a car may be a problem because of my age
Old Sep 9th 2012, 5:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

teuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond repute

What about a moto. it seems that anybody can drive them!
Old Sep 9th 2012, 5:47 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by teuchterpete
What about a moto. it seems that anybody can drive them!
a 50 cc?

you have to have a licence even for those - the OP could drive one on his UK licence though
Old Sep 9th 2012, 6:30 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by watson6

Rob
As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Sep 9th 2012, 6:33 pm
Just Joined

It seems im in a bit of a fix. I need to travel about 30 miles each day to where im going to be employed and buses are infrequent! A car would be an option but I believe that as a 'foreigner' in Spain, insurance would be hard to get.

Thanks again
Old Sep 9th 2012, 7:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

teuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond repute

From other posts, I get the impression that linea direct ( hope this is spelt correct) are the best guys to speak to. It might be worth giving them a ring to find out how much the cost will be for the type of car you have in mind.
Pete
Old Sep 10th 2012, 7:35 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by teuchterpete
From other posts, I get the impression that linea direct ( hope this is spelt correct) are the best guys to speak to. It might be worth giving them a ring to find out how much the cost will be for the type of car you have in mind.
Pete
Insurance is not a problem at all - they will all insure you (not just Direct Line).

The issue is that you will have to have a Spanish car and not one on UK plates. So, you would then have to buy a Spanish car which would require Padron, NIE/residencia etc.
Old Sep 10th 2012, 10:37 pm
Forum Regular

ionie is an unknown quantity at this point

Passport and NIE is all that's needed to buy a car in Alicante province. Non-residents can buy Spanish cars here.
Old Sep 11th 2012, 6:24 am
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by ionie
Passport and NIE is all that's needed to buy a car in Alicante province. Non-residents can buy Spanish cars here.
not everywhere in Alicante province

I know someone local to me who need the resident cert