Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Retiring to Spain

Retiring to Spain

Old Jan 23rd 2018, 3:33 pm
Banned

Roblis is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Retiring to Spain

Hi, I've just become a member of BE and have a couple of concerns regarding NIE in Spain.
My wife and I will be retiring to Spain this summer/autumn 2018 and will be looking to rent before buying our own property. We are, as yet, undecided on which area to settle in but have whittled the options down to inland Costa Brava, Blanca and Tropical......although I appreciate this is still a large area.

My current concerns regard the acquisition of NIE numbers.
I understand that I will need to apply for NIE once we arrive in Spain at the local police station , but as the process of being issued a number/certificate can take 4 weeks or longer my concern is immediate transport.
Apparently I can't buy a car without an NIE certificate and as the process is so lengthy my concerns are all about mobility and getting around in order to sort out legalities, shopping etc.
I would appreciate any info on how to legally get around this problem, or the best way of living with it for the duration of the bureaucracy.
Thanks in advance - Rob.
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 4:39 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Retiring to Spain

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst myself and BEVS moderate Europe. Please read the Site Rules Site Rules | British Expatriate Community adhere to them so that the site runs smoothly. Moderators are there to ensure that the rules of BE are maintained. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 7:57 pm
Just Joined

MontyNelly is an unknown quantity at this point

You could go to the Spanish Consulate in London and get an NIE, (check the opening times carefully), they email your NIE to you
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 8:07 pm
Banned

Angry Re: Retiring to Spain

Thanks for your reply MontyNelly......I have already contacted the Spanish Consulate with regard to this matter, but rather than answer my questions they simply informed me that an NIE number could be organised through them if I were to make my application in person.
One thing is becoming abundantly clear.......the Spanish thrive on bureaucracy and seem to enjoy making life as difficult as possible for even the most honest of people.
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 8:34 pm
Just Joined

If you go to London it will take a little time as they are normally quite busy, take multiple copies of everything they ask for, cash to pay and a pen to fill out the forms.

As I said check out the times before you go

May as well make a day of it
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 8:40 pm
Just Joined

Just one more thing, when we got ours they were only valid for three months and we had to renew them, so don't go too far ahead of your trip, This may have changed so again check before you go
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 8:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roblis
One thing is becoming abundantly clear.......the Spanish thrive on bureaucracy and seem to enjoy making life as difficult as possible for even the most honest of people.
Welcome to Spain hence why you see so many gestor offices in Spain.

Last edited by Rosemary; Jan 23rd 2018 at 9:35 pm. Reason: corrected quote
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 8:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

jonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your reply MontyNelly......I have already contacted the Spanish Consulate with regard to this matter, but rather than answer my questions they simply informed me that an NIE number could be organised through them if I were to make my application in person.
On the face of it, not a good omen
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 8:50 pm
Banned

Thumbs up Re: Retiring to Spain

Thanks for the advice MontyNelly.....I'll heed it.
nb - I think the 3 month restriction has now been scrapped....but of course, I'll check before applying.
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 8:52 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by jonboy
On the face of it, not a good omen
The lengths we Brits go to for a slice of sunshine, eh?
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 8:57 pm
Banned

Wink Re: Retiring to Spain

Originally Posted by bobd22
Welcome to Spain hence why you see so many gestor offices in Spain.
Good point Bob. Can you recommend a reliable one?
Old Jan 24th 2018, 10:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Horlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond repute

I found a property I wanted to buy so it was then that I went to get my NIE. It took a week, not 3 months. That was in Denia where it's done at an office with that purpose, not a local police station.

I don't know how it works elsewhere but the point is, once you find out where you want to be you may find that is is much quicker and easier to get done than you think it is. Which brings me to this....

...the Spanish thrive on bureaucracy and seem to enjoy making life as difficult as possible for even the most honest of people.
With that attitude you have you considered other places?
Old Jan 24th 2018, 10:36 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

...the Spanish thrive on bureaucracy and seem to enjoy making life as difficult as possible for even the most honest of people.
Try doing the reverse as a Spaniard speaking no English <LOL>
Your local Ayutamiento will be pleased to help with everything you need. If you are not up to DIY, employ a Gestor or Abogado.
Old Jan 24th 2018, 1:31 pm
Banned

That's a rather smug and sanctimonious question.

My current stand is based on watching the Spanish systematically persecute British ex-pats over the last 30+ years.
I lived in Spain 25 years ago and at that time obtaining an NIE was as easy as buying washing powder. A 1hr wait at the local Ayuntamiento and I walked out of the door with it.
I have since been witness to friends and members of family being subject to land grab and more recently taxed heavily for having bought their property at a price below which the powers that be considered adequate.
Add to that the current police vendetta on foreign registered cars whereby the 30 day rule trips up unaware home buyers who are stung for a 21% IVA tax on their vehicle......when they, until recently, quite reasonably thought the 6 month rule was still in force.
This 'shifting of the goalposts' behaviour is endemic within the Iberian peninsula and many an unsuspecting and honest individual can be stung badly unless they make a point of checking rules and laws on an almost weekly basis.

What they'll try after Brexit in anybody's guess....... confiscating bank accounts???
The greed culture currently pervading this planet leaves us all open to financial rape and ruin so it would make sense to be prudent with our investments.

Or do you sniff at this as well?
Old Jan 24th 2018, 1:43 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

A lot of what you say is clearly no longer true.

You get an NIE at the National Police office and it should be issued immediately.

I don't know what this 30 day rule about cars is. New residents are obliged to re-register their car within 60 days of signing on the Padron to avoid any registration tax. Otherwise you have 6 months but you will not be able to avoid the tax.

They have never charged IVA on an imported car from within the EU where IVA has been paid in the country of purchase. The only tax is to register the car (the same tax as applies to all new car registrations) and in many cases that is zero for cars with low emissions. At the very worse for a serious gas guzzler is is 14.75%.

From what you say and your obvious attitude problem with Spain, perhaps you should look elsewhere.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.