Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Retiring to Spain

Retiring to Spain

Old May 22nd 2004, 3:39 pm
Just Joined

Gordon & Jackie is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Retiring to Spain

We are retiring to Spain in the new year, we have studied and checked all that needs to be done, as far as the paperwork and moving but feel that we have a couple of questions that we hope you folks could answer for us......

1) We are considering long term rental for the moment, can you rent unfurnished, as all we seem to see is furnished, but we would like very much to keep our furniture....what would you advice.....

2) It seems that we should have no probs with the old TV from what I have already read on the forum. you all seem to be a mine of information....which has been much appreciated...

3) We are thinking of settling in between SAN ROGUE and SOTOGRANDE area as we would like to be near to Gibralter....
I do believe that around Sotogrande can be expensive so it would have to be more in the surrounding area...we also would like to be near enough to other Brits but at the same time not overwhelmed, we trying to learn enough of the language before we come over to help us get by.......
Can any one advice on our choice please....

4) Am I right in believing that if we get a place to try and ensure that not only is there air condtioning but heating as well.....

Old May 22nd 2004, 10:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Retiring to Spain

You can get unfurnished rentals they are about. Manivla wasnt bad on rentals last time I looked thought that was about a year ago. Plenty of development happening up that way, so shouldnt think it should be too hard to get a reasonable rental up that way. Often if you look in the Spanish papers they can be cheaper than in the expats ones. The other thing is come down and drive around areas that are of interest to you and sometimes you see appartments advertised with phone number Better if you can rent off owners direct if you can, often less hassle than going through an agent. Some people will only give you 6 months or 11 months rental, but I had one with a spanish owner and it was extended orally. You should only have to pay 3 months rent. 2 usually for deposti and one months rent. If you go through an agent they might wack a months rent on as their commission and they often do nothing to earn it so be aware of it.

Hope this is of help to you.

Mercedes.

[
1) We are considering long term rental for the moment, can you rent unfurnished, as all we seem to see is furnished, but we would like very much to keep our furniture....what would you advice.....

2) It seems that we should have no probs with the old TV from what I have already read on the forum. you all seem to be a mine of information....which has been much appreciated...

3) We are thinking of settling in between SAN ROGUE and SOTOGRANDE area as we would like to be near to Gibralter....
I do believe that around Sotogrande can be expensive so it would have to be more in the surrounding area...we also would like to be near enough to other Brits but at the same time not overwhelmed, we trying to learn enough of the language before we come over to help us get by.......

4) Am I right in believing that if we get a place to try and ensure that not only is there air condtioning but heating as well.....

[/QUOTE]
Old May 23rd 2004, 9:52 am
Just Joined

Gordon & Jackie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Retiring to Spain

Thanks for your help much appreciated, is Manivla reasonable for purchase as well, and is there some expats in the area, checked it out on map, looks like the place we want to be will Sotogrande effect us in cost of living....so you advice get a month rental from this end through agent then shop about for ourselves when we get there...we are wanting to come out in July next year when my husband reaches 65, this might cause problem trying to rent without paying the very high prices that is demanded, £400 -500 a month is more like it than this amount each week...do you think we have a chance through an agent of getting anything......Cheers

Originally posted by Mercedes
You can get unfurnished rentals they are about. Manivla wasnt bad on rentals last time I looked thought that was about a year ago. Plenty of development happening up that way, so shouldnt think it should be too hard to get a reasonable rental up that way. Often if you look in the Spanish papers they can be cheaper than in the expats ones. The other thing is come down and drive around areas that are of interest to you and sometimes you see appartments advertised with phone number Better if you can rent off owners direct if you can, often less hassle than going through an agent. Some people will only give you 6 months or 11 months rental, but I had one with a spanish owner and it was extended orally. You should only have to pay 3 months rent. 2 usually for deposti and one months rent. If you go through an agent they might wack a months rent on as their commission and they often do nothing to earn it so be aware of it.

Hope this is of help to you.

Mercedes.

[

[/QUOTE]