Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Retirement move

Retirement move

Old Nov 11th 2015, 1:40 pm
Just Joined

UK.FRED is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Retirement move

Myself and wife want to move to Spain for our retirement and would like to hear from anyone who has done this. At the moment we are 57 and 55 but plan on retiring in 5 or 6 years. Our reasons for the move would be for a better quality of life and the warmer climate. We obviously need to look into the cost of living, health care and legal requirements but not sure where to start. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Best Wishes
Old Nov 11th 2015, 1:45 pm
Just Joined

aw73 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Retirement move

Hi UK.Fred,
Nice to hear from you. There are a number of threads running at the moment discussing this subject. My wife and myself are the same ages as yourselves and are planning to do exactly the same, but sooner. I am trawling the net and finding that there`s a lot of good people out there with advice.
Best wishes.
Alan
Old Nov 11th 2015, 2:01 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by aw73
Hi UK.Fred,
Nice to hear from you. There are a number of threads running at the moment discussing this subject. My wife and myself are the same ages as yourselves and are planning to do exactly the same, but sooner. I am trawling the net and finding that there`s a lot of good people out there with advice.
Best wishes.
Alan
Thanks Alan
There's lots to consider but it's hopefully the right thing for us. The new pension scheme here in the UK needs looking at though as I heard that if we reside in Spain we'd have to give up our UK pension entitlement.
Good luck with your retirement planning
UK.FRED
Old Nov 11th 2015, 2:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UK.FRED
Myself and wife want to move to Spain for our retirement and would like to hear from anyone who has done this. At the moment we are 57 and 55 but plan on retiring in 5 or 6 years. Our reasons for the move would be for a better quality of life and the warmer climate. We obviously need to look into the cost of living, health care and legal requirements but not sure where to start. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Best Wishes
Always plenty of discussions going on here and as always depends on budget etc. Personally I kind of like the idea of keeping a place in the UK (but in my case Ireland) and spending the rest of the time in Spain. The ideal world for me would be to spend the summer in Ireland and just go to Spain every now and then, or maybe during winter. Far away from retirement, so not an option now.
Old Nov 11th 2015, 2:12 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Alan
There's lots to consider but it's hopefully the right thing for us. The new pension scheme here in the UK needs looking at though as I heard that if we reside in Spain we'd have to give up our UK pension entitlement.
Good luck with your retirement planning
UK.FRED
Not true, pensions are fully transferable, and subject to the same increases as in the UK. Please don't assume everything you read on the internet ot in the papers is true. The only thing that retirees in Spain do not get is the Winter Fuel Allowance, that was scrapped this year. There are no plans to change pension entitlements, although as part of the EU renegotiations the present government is looking to possibly do away with other benefits like the DLA for people who move from the UK.

We retired to Spain but have since returned t the UK, and the major reason for that was the huge decrease in the amount of money we got each month due to fluctuations downwards in the exchange rate.
Old Nov 11th 2015, 2:12 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Myself and wife want to move to Spain for our retirement and would like to hear from anyone who has done this. At the moment we are 57 and 55 but plan on retiring in 5 or 6 years. Our reasons for the move would be for a better quality of life and the warmer climate. We obviously need to look into the cost of living, health care and legal requirements but not sure where to start. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Best Wishes
Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Nov 11th 2015, 2:16 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Always plenty of discussions going on here and as always depends on budget etc. Personally I kind of like the idea of keeping a place in the UK (but in my case Ireland) and spending the rest of the time in Spain. The ideal world for me would be to spend the summer in Ireland and just go to Spain every now and then, or maybe during winter. Far away from retirement, so not an option now.
Thanks Moses.
That's something to consider depending on budget.
Old Nov 11th 2015, 2:24 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Not true, pensions are fully transferable, and subject to the same increases as in the UK. Please don't assume everything you read on the internet ot in the papers is true. The only thing that retirees in Spain do not get is the Winter Fuel Allowance, that was scrapped this year. There are no plans to change pension entitlements, although as part of the EU renegotiations the present government is looking to possibly do away with other benefits like the DLA for people who move from the UK.

We retired to Spain but have since returned t the UK, and the major reason for that was the huge decrease in the amount of money we got each month due to fluctuations downwards in the exchange rate.
Thanks for clearing up the pension issue. That's good to know. We would have to use our savings to live on with our UK pension as we'd have no other regular income. Our £150,000 would not be worth as much in euros and we don't want to live frugally. Calculating the cost of our retirement in Spain is going to be the most challenging thing to calculate.
Thanks Mike
Old Nov 11th 2015, 2:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Moses.That's something to consider depending on budget.
Definitely. We're all different, but even Spain can get boring after a while and it's great if you have the choice. I think I would go mad being in Spain all the summer, especially when all those tourists come LOL. I also like the long summer days in Ireland and that the beaches are empty.
Old Nov 11th 2015, 2:46 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for clearing up the pension issue. That's good to know. We would have to use our savings to live on with our UK pension as we'd have no other regular income. Our £150,000 would not be worth as much in euros and we don't want to live frugally. Calculating the cost of our retirement in Spain is going to be the most challenging thing to calculate. Thanks Mike
Who knows what the situation will be in 5-6 years, but I would suggest you budget for same living costs as you have in UK.
Old Nov 11th 2015, 3:08 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by missile
Who knows what the situation will be in 5-6 years, but I would suggest you budget for same living costs as you have in UK.
Thankyou. That may make things easier.
Old Nov 11th 2015, 4:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi UKFRED. We retired early (2 years) we sold up everything and moved here lock, stock etc.

Loads to consider though Fred, healthcare and cost of living. I personally find it cheaper to live here than the UK. We love it here even with the summer tourists. We manage to live well enough on our private pensions, which don't amount to that much.

I'm sure you will get plenty of good advice on this site.

Steve
Old Nov 11th 2015, 4:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Retired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond repute

Best Wishes
We "retired" in August 2009. My wife is Basque, so our situation is different from yours; we have 'free' health cover for instance.
My UK state pension is paid into our UK bank a/c; my teacher's pension is paid into our Spanish a/c. I'd probably be better off having both paid into UK and then every so often transferring money here.
Ideally, you'll be more accepted learning some Spanish; perhaps you already do, forgive me. People appreciate it when you're seen to be making an effort at least.
Choose carefully where to settle. Rent first for a few months. Anywhere along the Med has lots of British expats so you'll perhaps feel more at home.
But do try to integrate in whatever way. Eg, join various activities. Here we're spoilt for choice; I have an allotment (no problem with water here in the north!), we go walking with a local group every Friday morning, there's a reading club (OK, in Spanish and Basque), a photography club, to name a few.
Get internet radio and you can tune into radio 4 or whatever you wish.
Buy a left hand drive car; not difficult to "convert".
Best of luck.
Old Nov 11th 2015, 10:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

The story about losing your entitlement to UK Pension shows how much inaccurate information is floating about. A long time ago I went on a TUC course explaining pensions and National Insurance. Great resource. I wish more people woul do this sort of thing instead of relying on Hearsay, "The Daily Moron" and a pal down the Duck and Ferret.
Old Nov 12th 2015, 7:10 am
Just Joined

I think I'll look into the pension side of things and see how it works. This new lump sum pension payments scheme we've had here since April are confusing. How does the health care system work? I take it we need private medical insurance as we won't be working. What's the best way to arrange that?
Thanks for all your replies.
FRED.UK

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.