Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Retirement - Is it Easy?

Retirement - Is it Easy?

Old Sep 4th 2011, 10:26 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Retirement - Is it Easy?

Originally Posted by jackytoo
I think we have to remember that we bring most of life's baggage with us, that isolated finca may look perfect on viewing but for some could be a nightmare. We moved inland and as soon as we had the place exactly as we wanted found out we hated the place I like to live rural but within easy reach of the action, difficult to do in Spain. I would get invites and I used to think do I really want to drive 40 mins (some of it down a kamikaze track) We did find what we wanted eventually, edge ot town, overlooking campo and mountains and civilisation 8 mins drive away.

I do know one couple who moved from Wimbledon, lived on a busy road. They bought an isolated place near ronda. They are loving it, although it's early days, they have only been there a few years.

I live rural in the UK. Only 600 people, fields front and back. There are lots of things happening a few minutes walk. Zumba, art classes, photo-shop etc. or I can catch a train to London or drive to Winchester, a place I love, in 30 mins. Best of both for me.
Everyone has their perfect spot. It's seldom perfect in every detail, so perhaps I'll rename it one's comfort spot. That place where the greatest number of one's needs are met to the greatest extent.

I doubt that any two people on this board would place theirs in exactly the same spot, which is a damn good thing, or we'd all be fighting over the same house.

I was very uncomfortable in the UK, and I'm pretty damn comfortable here.

I'm not in the middle of the wilderness, I have 4 close neighbours, and about 30 more in the village at a comfortable distance. However it's close enough to wilderness to be very tranquil, and we are within 1/2 an hour's radius of several small towns, and an hour from Gib and Jerez.

Some might not like it, but then I loathe big towns with all the press of people.
Old Sep 4th 2011, 10:34 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
We wouldn't be on this forum if we didn't agree that Spain is a great place to live, and for us, it's much better than the UK.

But it's a vast country, eight times bigger than the UK and with half its population, and your location is the most important thing to consider, and the choice is mind -blowing.

I've met a lot of expats who have made the wrong choice at first and had the extreme hassle of moving afterwards, I've done it myself, more than once.

If you're used to a busy life in the UK, you'll go nuts in a remote location in Spain; and vice versa. I was a townie in the UK and I'm now a townie in Spain; I gave the inland Spanish remoteness a fair chance and it drove me nuts - as that old cliché says, you can take an Essex girl out of Essex, but no faacking way can you make her forget how to speak Essex. And I'm a boy, but I'm married to one.
come on H - pull the other one
Spain 505,370km2 with population of 46m
UK 243,610km2 with population of 62m
eight times is creative accounting

irrrespective, its a great place, the locals like it, and are usually happy that we like it as well
unlike France, nice place but but why did God give us the French!
Old Sep 4th 2011, 10:38 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
Everyone has their perfect spot. It's seldom perfect in every detail, so perhaps I'll rename it one's comfort spot. That place where the greatest number of one's needs are met to the greatest extent.

I doubt that any two people on this board would place theirs in exactly the same spot, which is a damn good thing, or we'd all be fighting over the same house.

I'm not in the middle of the wilderness, I have 4 close neighbours, and about 30 more in the village at a comfortable distance. However it's close enough to wilderness to be very tranquil, and we are within 1/2 an hour's radius of several small towns, and an hour from Gib and Jerez.

Some might not like it, but then I loathe big towns with all the press of people.
in summation, its the place where YOU feel COMFORTABLE

just a shame that nowadays it is hard to feel comfortable in one's own home country.

when I told the OH I was happy to die in Spain but wanted to buried in the UK she took off like an exocet
looks like I will have to take out an insurance policy for that specific purpose.
Old Sep 4th 2011, 10:39 am
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil

Well that's it, isn't it, we all like different things. I don't find city life a 'press of people', because in that crowd I can be anonymous. In the village there are far fewer people, but, especially as a foreigner, you are high-profile and everybody wants to know your business (or already knows it). I find that far more of a strain than having loads of people around who I don't have to speak to if I don't feel like it.

Each to their own, and that's why I stress that finding the right location is so important.
Old Sep 4th 2011, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by scampicat
Well that's it, isn't it, we all like different things. I don't find city life a 'press of people', because in that crowd I can be anonymous. In the village there are far fewer people, but, especially as a foreigner, you are high-profile and everybody wants to know your business (or already knows it). I find that far more of a strain than having loads of people around who I don't have to speak to if I don't feel like it.

Each to their own, and that's why I stress that finding the right location is so important.
each to their own is truly right
having lived on grey painted war canoes where 40 adolescent, testosterone driven men lived in a messdeck smaller than that approved by DEFRA for 40 pigs, where everyone knows you have passed wind, received a letter before you do,,,,,,,,,,
believe me - living with some free space around you is so so nice...

Last edited by Domino; Sep 4th 2011 at 10:57 am.
Old Sep 4th 2011, 11:34 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

I came on here to praise Spain and if I got the size wrong, I blame my sources, but I'm not going to google it, I've gone off google of late, it's full of lies.

Here's a tiny example of why I love the place. I had a ten minute walk in the sun this morning to buy myself the Sunday Times and a computer magazine. Afterwards, I sat in a noisy Spanish cafe drinking two Americanos and soaking up the ambience. At least three Spanish acquaintances spoke to me and the Waitress was up to her usual tricks to raise my blood pressure.

I did have a problem after buying the French sticks I was sent out for, it meant walking past an English bar that does fried breakfast for a silly amount, two Euros I think, and the smell of fried bacon nearly drove me inside.

When I got home, we nearly decided to drive the ten minutes into town and four blue flag beaches, but the phone rang from England. I'm tending to the Sunday roast now, while madam is in the pool.

Return to the UK? It will have to be in chains.
Old Sep 4th 2011, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by HBG
I came on here to praise Spain and if I got the size wrong, I blame my sources, but I'm not going to google it, I've gone off google of late, it's full of lies.

Here's a tiny example of why I love the place. I had a ten minute walk in the sun this morning to buy myself the Sunday Times and a computer magazine. Afterwards, I sat in a noisy Spanish cafe drinking two Americanos and soaking up the ambience. At least three Spanish acquaintances spoke to me and the Waitress was up to her usual tricks to raise my blood pressure.

I did have a problem after buying the French sticks I was sent out for, it meant walking past an English bar that does fried breakfast for a silly amount, two Euros I think, and the smell of fried bacon nearly drove me inside.

When I got home, we nearly decided to drive the ten minutes into town and four blue flag beaches, but the phone rang from England. I'm tending to the Sunday roast now, while madam is in the pool.

it is so unlike you to get these things wrong.
yes Google seems to be filling up with a number of spurious references and worse (IMHO) non-links to sites went off air weeks ago.

an alternative source for certain info could be https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat...k/geos/sp.html
its a general release connection so despite the connotation its ok

how much was the Sunday Times ?
not even sure if it gets to Granada, have seen the Telegraph, but that newagent's had to move due to the tramworks on the Camino

sounds like u have it just right, and if you and yours are happy thats all that matters.
Old Sep 4th 2011, 12:56 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
in summation, its the place where YOU feel COMFORTABLE

just a shame that nowadays it is hard to feel comfortable in one's own home country.

when I told the OH I was happy to die in Spain but wanted to buried in the UK she took off like an exocet
looks like I will have to take out an insurance policy for that specific purpose.
It's where one feels MOST comfortable, to the extent that you wouldn't want to be anywhere else.
Old Sep 4th 2011, 12:59 pm
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by HBG

Tip me off that they are coming for you, and I'll bring the bolt cutters.

Given the choice between 20 years life in the UK or 10 here, I'd stay here, and not even return in a box.
Old Sep 4th 2011, 3:11 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

This is not sarcasm or being difficult but why would you want to be buried in the UK?
I have no doubt that there are very good reasons.

Graham

Last edited by Rosemary; Sep 4th 2011 at 4:33 pm.
Old Sep 4th 2011, 3:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scampicat

Yes I agree, it is THE most important part of relocation to Spain!
In England we always lived on the very edge of town, even that for us had too many people but moving to a village there would have been impractical.

On moving to Spain we stayed in our Daughter & Son-in-law's holiday rental house (they live a few yards away themselves) on an Urb on Mijas Golf....
Even though we could have lived the rest of our lives there rent free we didn't want to do so, we absolutely hated the fact that there were so many houses and people, the house had great views but that didn't make up for it at all.

Fortunately for us it only took us three months before we bought and moved into the house we are in now.
We are in a small hamlet and apart from us and a Swedish couple our neighbours are all Spanish.
We are within walking distance of our nearest village where there are four bars two shops and a pharmacy, ten minutes in the car (or bus) takes us into town.

For us life in our little hamlet is all that we hoped it would be!
Yes everyone knows your every move but that also works to our advantage, for instance we can go out for the day leaving my husbands tool shed unlocked knowing full well that it will be OK on our return, our neighbours and friends will be looking out for us and would challenge any stranger to the property.
When we arrived here at first two of our neighbours took me with them to the end of term party at the local school, that was to show me off to the village ladies, so now they all know who I am and where I live, they have all accepted us into their community and it's a lovely cosy and warm feeling!
Old Sep 4th 2011, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by The Oddities
This is not sarcasm or being difficult but why would you want to be burried in the UK?
I have no doubt that there are very good reasons.

Graham
why not ? its where I come from, its where all my family are
does not a potted plant have roots the same as an oak ?

no one seems to express an opinion when people living in the uk (generally from the indian sub-continent) have their remains returned for burial "at home" despite their having a certificate that makes them British or are 3rd or 4th generation but still insist in having dual passports and a burial plot "back home"

many people have relatives remains returned "home" when they die abroad for any reason. perhaps thats to allow closure for those left in the uk. Or because it was an instruction ?

although ex RN I have no desire to be buried at sea or have my ashes spread at sea.

I don't regret making the statement, I don't regret having a view which many people may at the last minute like to express but find it too late

I think it is a subject that could actually cause a fair amount of debate in expat communities around the world, not just British.

thanks for asking
Old Sep 4th 2011, 4:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

it is so unlike you to get these things wrong.
yes Google seems to be filling up with a number of spurious references and worse (IMHO) non-links to sites went off air weeks ago.

an alternative source for certain info could be https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat...k/geos/sp.html
its a general release connection so despite the connotation its ok

how much was the Sunday Times ?
not even sure if it gets to Granada, have seen the Telegraph, but that newagent's had to move due to the tramworks on the Camino

sounds like u have it just right, and if you and yours are happy thats all that matters.
The Sunday Times costs 5€ over here - don't know why I keep paying it really, you don't get even a third of the content of the UK version, and it is printed in Spain so distribution costs can't account for that much. It's the only British paper I buy, though, and I'm addicted to my Sunday paper habit.

In the UK we had it delivered and the OH always brought me breakfast in bed whilst I read it - somehow that seemed to go by the wayside when we moved to Spain, why did I let him get away with that?
Old Sep 4th 2011, 4:10 pm
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by Lynn R
The Sunday Times costs 5€ over here - don't know why I keep paying it really, you don't get even a third of the content of the UK version, and it is printed in Spain so distribution costs can't account for that much. It's the only British paper I buy, though, and I'm addicted to my Sunday paper habit.

In the UK we had it delivered and the OH always brought me breakfast in bed whilst I read it - somehow that seemed to go by the wayside when we moved to Spain, why did I let him get away with that?
I stopped reading the papers years ago. Retirement is a lot more comfortable if you ignore all the shrieking journalists earning a living by repeating ad nauseam that the boogey man is going to get you.
Old Sep 4th 2011, 4:26 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

why not ? its where I come from, its where all my family are
does not a potted plant have roots the same as an oak ?

no one seems to express an opinion when people living in the uk (generally from the indian sub-continent) have their remains returned for burial "at home" despite their having a certificate that makes them British or are 3rd or 4th generation but still insist in having dual passports and a burial plot "back home"

many people have relatives remains returned "home" when they die abroad for any reason. perhaps thats to allow closure for those left in the uk. Or because it was an instruction ?

although ex RN I have no desire to be buried at sea or have my ashes spread at sea.

I don't regret making the statement, I don't regret having a view which many people may at the last minute like to express but find it too late

I think it is a subject that could actually cause a fair amount of debate in expat communities around the world, not just British.

thanks for asking
It definitely was not a criticism, it was purely an of interest question and everyone has the right to be buried where they want.

Graham

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.