British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Restaurants (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/restaurants-617758/)

tednsharon Apr 14th 2010 2:54 am

Re: Restaurants

Originally Posted by tednsharon (Post 8475229)
Thanks Sue - lovely detailed instructions ... I'll let you know if I find it! S

Found it! Had lunch - lovely place :)

EsuriJohn Apr 29th 2010 2:31 am

Originally Posted by nichol garcia (Post 8482092)
I never usually repy to this sort of thing but after several calls this morning thought I should. I spoke to Steve fm the Auctions who cannot believe the above comment and told me the only 2 people saw my equiptment was Jag n Gavin who brought it 4 thier new place..I spoke to Jag who also thinks it terrible that some1 wud stoop so low to say the above...So who is this Ayamontino..he certainly didnt eat in my restaurant the week b4, & y wud he as he has said bad things about Garcias previously. Perhaps he has a motive about saying such rubbish...wud u like to come and talk to me & Sergio about ur concerns? I doubt It! Wot is this all about? R we not adults? Back biting and putting competition down it just cheap and nasty. I wish all my competition all the luck in the world as times are very hard for all of us. Áyamontino´ I and Steve at the Auctions would both like to have a word with you next time your available.....fm Nichol Garcia fm ex Garcias now Calico Park (with no other name to hide my ID)

I have refrained from joining in this fracas but things have moved on and it is gettig more serious and silly with each move. I would just say this about the equipment purchased by Jag. We were in his restaraunt when he came back from viewing the said equipment and I asked in my usual nosey way "Any good" to which jag replied some of it is good and we are going to buy those items that suit us. NO mention of any problems No talk of hygine NO quibble about cost.

What is it that makes people want to run down what might be one of CE best assets yet I just do NOT understand the motive.

Just for the record I intend to visit the new restaraunt at Calico Park and I will post if I like it and if I find it good value. If it is 1/2 as good as their last place I am sure it will be.

EsuriJohn Apr 29th 2010 2:38 am

Originally Posted by John & Kath (Post 8463837)
We have not yet taken our peer review team so do not want to raise false hopes on just 2 visits but I must say it shows great potential.

Peer review now complete and in full agreement a worthy rival to luis it is the Don Diego hotel restaraunt not he snack bar which is good for tapas. €7.50 for 3 courses with breaed and drink.

Steve and Pat Apr 29th 2010 4:56 am

Originally Posted by John & Kath (Post 8530558)
Peer review now complete and in full agreement a worthy rival to luis it is the Don Diego hotel restaraunt not he snack bar which is good for tapas. €7.50 for 3 courses with breaed and drink.

Hi John

Might be a silly question, but where is the Don Diego Hotel?:unsure:

Thanks

Steve

olivia Apr 29th 2010 5:54 am

Originally Posted by Steve and Pat (Post 8530913)
Hi John

Thanks

Steve

Hi
I think it is near Eroski. Does it have parking?

EsuriJohn Apr 29th 2010 6:10 am

Originally Posted by Steve and Pat (Post 8530913)
Hi John

Thanks

Steve

It has just re-opened as the Hotel Central and is above the Eroski in the center of Ayamonte. The nearest car parking is underneath Eroski great for lunch perhaps not so good if you eat late.

olivia Apr 29th 2010 6:15 am

Originally Posted by John & Kath (Post 8531086)
It has just re-opened as the Hotel Central and is above the Eroski in the center of Ayamonte. The nearest car parking is underneath Eroski great for lunch perhaps not so good if you eat late.

Can't do that car park! can't stand to hear my old man say 'it won't be so good gettin awt of here in winter when its bin snowin' one more time!!

EsuriJohn Apr 29th 2010 6:40 am

Originally Posted by olivia (Post 8531093)
Can't do that car park! can't stand to hear my old man say 'it won't be so good gettin awt of here in winter when its bin snowin' one more time!!

Tell him he is not in Shineyford and it will be OK.

olivia Apr 29th 2010 7:29 am

Originally Posted by John & Kath (Post 8531147)
Tell him he is not in Shineyford and it will be OK.

The lasting nightmare memory of exiting Eroski car park in a hire car is mine not his! If I am driving I will now pass on if there is not a space at the front!
We will go and try Dom Diego...He will drive I will drink. Thanks for recommendation.

Jon-Bxl Apr 29th 2010 9:49 am

Originally Posted by olivia (Post 8531050)
Hi
I think it is near Eroski. Does it have parking?

We have never had a problem parking around the hotel, in fact its the place we always leave our car - no meters - (theres also a free car park just over the road and next to the Marina).. then its a short stroll into town.

olivia Apr 29th 2010 10:22 am

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl (Post 8531662)
We have never had a problem parking around the hotel, in fact its the place we always leave our car - no meters - (theres also a free car park just over the road and next to the Marina).. then its a short stroll into town.

leaving that car park onto the road needs skill!! I don't have it according to my husband. The 'hill start' must not have been in the test when I passed mine!!! we did get out! but never again with me at the wheel.

Jon-Bxl Apr 29th 2010 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by MikeCol (Post 8021454)
Hi, I think you are talking about the Naval Association building (especially as you mention the homemade crisps). This was one of the first restaurants we visited in this area and we love it. Everytime we have visitors this is one of the places we take them to. Of all the things on the menu my personal favourite is the chefs special Iberian Pork. It is served with a mustard sauce, grilled peppers, chorizo and those wonderful crisps. In fact my mouth is watering just thinking about it. Regards Bryony

Hi Bryony Is that the squarish building right on the Marina, next to the boats, on the river side of the road?

Coming over soon, and planning lots of eats!! So trolling through the resto thread! On a diet now so that I can lose a stone - only to put it back on over there !!! :eek:

Thanks
Jon

Jon-Bxl Apr 29th 2010 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by Jur (Post 8463699)
AAAHHHHA! Got it!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NO8DO#Motto

"Carruajes"NO8DO is the official motto and one of the many legends of Seville. The legend has left its very tangible mark throughout the city as NO8DO can be seen on landmarks ranging from the common bike rack, the caps of the municipal sewer and water system, ordinary sidewalks, buses, taxis, monuments, even Christopher Columbus’s tomb. The motto of Seville is a visible presence of which any visitor is sure to take note.

The motto is a rebus, combining the Spanish syllables (NO and DO) and a drawing in between–the figure “8.” The figure represents a skein of yarn, or in Spanish, a “madeja.” When read aloud, “No madeja do” sounds like “No me ha dejado,” which means “It [Seville] has not abandoned me.”

The story as to how NO8DO arrived at being the motto of the city has undoubtedly been embroidered throughout the centuries, but legend has it that after the “Reconquest” of Seville from the Muslims in 1248, King Fernando III, El Santo, King of Castilla and León moved his court to the former Muslim palace, the Alcázar of Seville.

After San Fernando’s death in the Real Alcázar, his son, Alfonso X, “The Wise,” assumed the throne. Alfonso X was a scholar king, hence his title. He was a poet, astronomer, astrologer, musician and linguist. Alfonso’s son, Sancho IV of Castile, tried to usurp the throne from his father, but the people of Seville remained loyal to their scholar king and this is where NO8DO was believed to have originated when, according to legend, Alfonso X rewarded the fidelity of the “Sevillanos” with the words that now appear on the official emblem of the city of Seville."

Yes but in John's case its 'Oh NO why did we DO it! :)

Jon-Bxl Apr 29th 2010 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by sunshine sue (Post 8490004)
went to the barbque on Sunday at Calico Park
Sun was shining lovley afternoon.
cost 7,50 very good value, pork ribs, pork steaks, chicken, burgers, lots of salads chips or potatoes, plenty to eat
This was well attended with mixture of both Portuguese and British.
Will definately go to the next one.

Sue

Hi Sorry to sound silly but - if its in VILLA NOVA DE CACELA (inland) then I dont see how there can be a sea view from the terrace (that I saw on another post) - whereas CACELA VELHA (a beautiful little village) would have sea views and theres a new resto there. That someone also mentioned, as well as a nice resto on the right as you come in with a roof terrace. The views of the Formosa national park are great from this town and well worth the short trip.

Have I gotten mixed up? I looked at Jur's link but just got a map of the whole of Spain We know Phillippe and would like to chat to him again and check out the food.

BTW just a little way from Cacela Velha is a little hamlet called Fabrica, fantastic place to watch the tide go in and out... Tide in and theres boats ferrying you to the coast across the estuary..... (where you can walk to from Manta Rota).... \tide out where there are lots of little pools lakes that you can wade across to the sea... lovely beach and great for kids I would suspect when the tide is out. We love to go there and the beach is never crowded (so far) Also a beach chiringuito there too... food OK views lovely.

Thanks still on a resto hunt!!! Yearning for the diet to end :)
Jon

Hi Pat,

Jur has posted directions would just say at Cacela look for signs saying campismo
Go over bridge over railtrack, passing new houses with pools, turning right. Continue on then right sign calico then continue look for a large water tower at entrance turn left here then next right onto driveway to park follow road round for the restaurant.
If you see the motorway you have gone to far

They also have a small shop which they are developing selling bacon, sausage recognized British brand foods.

Sat night they are having a race night

sunshine sue
I know we are friends before anyone shoots me down,but the thread is about restaurants we go to so,

went to calico park yesterday for lunch,
my 2 really enjoyed the combo to share starter.

Enjoyed our drinks on the terrace overlooking the pool to the sea.
my son had a game of pool, table tennis (the 1e charge goes to animal sanctuary) and darts. That kept him occupied.There is a football game as well. Some children were even enjoying the swimming pool brrrr

Sue

MikeCol Apr 29th 2010 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl (Post 8532557)
Hi Bryony Is that the squarish building right on the Marina, next to the boats, on the river side of the road?

Coming over soon, and planning lots of eats!! So trolling through the resto thread! On a diet now so that I can lose a stone - only to put it back on over there !!! :eek:

Thanks
Jon

Hi Jon, yes that is the one. We also went to a restaurant in Isla Cristina a couple of weeks ago after finding it recomended on the internet. Its called 'Restaurante-Casa Rufino' and is one of the best we have tried in this area. If you just head for the beach it is on the left hand side just as you come to the beachfront. I wouldn't call it cheap, but for a special occasion its worth a visit. Will no doubt see you around during your next visit, regards Bryony.