Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Residential to Commercial and back again - possible?

Residential to Commercial and back again - possible?

Old Oct 30th 2007, 6:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

twyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond repute
Default Residential to Commercial and back again - possible?

Without going into the reasons why too much, I'm toying with the idea of buying a (cheap!) run down townhouse locally - with the aim of doing a very basic reform as an office for the business, then in 2-3 years time adding in the mod cons and selling it as a dwelling once again or maybe just keeping it as is.

An estate agent has told me that getting a change of use from the town hall is "a mere formality" - both from residential to commercial and back again.

Phrases like "a mere formality" spoken with a Spanish accent, especially from the mouth of an Estate Agent sends shivers down my spine, and there is of course the remotest of possibilities that the estate agent might simply be telling me what I want to hear!

Before I attempt to speak to the town hall and / or an independent legal advisor (yes, I have already been very kindly offered the services of the EA's solicitor!!!) has anyone heard of being able to do this or done this? Perhaps someone has converted a house into a shop or visa versa before now? Is what I'm suggesting really dumb and are there better ways?

Answers / comments / flames on a postcard, please!