Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Residency application required paperwork

Residency application required paperwork

Old Jun 25th 2019, 10:47 am
Forum Regular

BlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond repute
Question Residency application required paperwork

I have an appointment in Madrid to apply for residency for myself and my family, we're all British Citizens. Navigating my way to getting that appointment was a journey in itself but now that I'm gathering all the paperwork together I'm realising that no two sources are giving the same information. Some sources say it's as simple as, NIE, Empadronamiento, proof of Healthcare and Income = job done. Others are telling me to get my bank account details signed at the bank, show my source of income, house rental contract, work contract...the list goes on.

Having gone through Empadronamiento registration where people sitting beside each other have had different requirements I realise I will probably have to bring everything but that involves a fair amount of running around over the next few days, not to mention printing of multi page documents. Can anyone who has done this recently advise? Madrid specifically.

On an aside, how do you pay the fee? Can I do it at my own bank in the days before the appointment? (maybe when I'm in getting my account details signed!)

So sorry for the questions, I have spend hours on this and I've barely made progress, it feels like I'm going round in circles.
Old Jun 25th 2019, 11:22 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Residency application required paperwork

Try here

¡Residencia! All your questions answered | Healthcare in Spain
Old Jun 25th 2019, 11:48 am
Forum Regular

BlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, this is one of the sites that gave more basic requirements. The official page also lists similar requirements. I wonder why other sources are listing so many others and what their sources are.

Thanks.

Old Jun 25th 2019, 1:01 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BlueScottyGirl
Yes, this is one of the sites that gave more basic requirements. The official page also lists similar requirements. I wonder why other sources are listing so many others and what their sources are.

Thanks.
If you have a job with a contract in Spain, then you should be OK as that gives you health cover and may/should be proof of income.

If not, then you need private health care, savings, bank statements etc.
Old Jun 27th 2019, 11:54 am
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
If you have a job with a contract in Spain, then you should be OK as that gives you health cover and may/should be proof of income.

If not, then you need private health care, savings, bank statements etc.
sorry snikpoh, im gonna have to add to that one 'if you have a job with a **full time 40 hr contract** in spain. And then im going to say that any kids over 18 need to apply on their own merits, and then im gonna say that i would take everything that you can think of, and copies of it, to save making two trips.

dont forget if you are married that you need to have your partners id / passport and marriage certificate (translated) to prove name / associacion, if they are not updated to your married name.
Old Jun 27th 2019, 2:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizen...n/index_en.htm
Old Jun 28th 2019, 3:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

spainrico ... you should know by now that anything published on a random website *i know that one is pretty official* should be taken with a pinch of salt.

In Malaga its not required that people have money. It says this nowhere on the websites. But when you go there they demand to see *income* - not money in the bank - at the time of his application, my father had over 25k in his account.. they refused his residencia until we showed them the letter from the DWP (uk) saying "Mr xxx will receive xxx pounds per month as a pension", then they were happy.
Old Jun 28th 2019, 4:36 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

For the record, this is what the applicable Spanish law states.

2nd Disposition of sufficient resources, for themselves and their family members, so as not to become a burden for social assistance in Spain during their period of residence.

Accreditation of the possession of sufficient resources, whether by periodic income, including labour or other income, or by the possession of a patrimony, shall be carried out by any means of proof admitted by law, such as property titles, certified checks
, documentation justifying obtaining capital income or credit cards, providing in the latter case an updated bank certification that proves the amount available as credit of the aforementioned card.

The assessment of the sufficiency of means must be made individually, and in any case, taking into account the personal and family situation of the applicant.

Clearly, capital and property is acceptable, even down to sufficient credit available on a credit card.

Obviously, as we all know, the local office that you visit will have a total disregard to what the law says the requirements are and make them up as they go along. As far as Malaga province is concerned, I know of a number of people who have had just the ownership of property accepted proof of which was provided by the sight of their escritura.

Last edited by Fred James; Jun 28th 2019 at 4:38 pm.
Old Jun 28th 2019, 4:41 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

On an aside, how do you pay the fee? Can I do it at my own bank in the days before the appointment? (maybe when I'm in getting my account details signed!)

Yes you can. Read this

https://www.citizensadvice.org.es/faq/h ... -office-2/
Old Jul 2nd 2019, 7:33 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the input, guys. Just to update a little, my own residence has been documented but as I forgot to bring my marriage and daughters birth certificate and a photocopied set of insurance documents for my daughter I have to go back.

It went much smoother than I expected, a bit of back and forth to pay the fee and the gent who processed me was amazing and tried really hard to ensure all went well for me.

Despite forgetting those documents I had brought so much paperwork and copies but until you are there you can't be sure what you will need. I had actually gone in as self employed but was switched to an economic settler as I was missing a key requirement for the former. In my own experience as an economic settler it was the bank document showing savings (I don't know what amount they were looking for), proof of a good, prepaid insurance plan valid for a year, NIE, Empadron and passport. I think he also took a copy of my passport which I had provided. Safe to say, they do not do photocopying.

I'm hoping when I go back with the docs I didn't have the last time that the goal posts haven't been moved!
Old Jul 14th 2019, 12:30 am
Just Joined

FLo7 is an unknown quantity at this point

went much smoother than I expected, a bit of back and forth to pay the fee and the gent who processed me was amazing and tried really hard to ensure all went well for me.
Thanks - this is good to know! Can I ask how did you manage to get an appointment - seems they are hard to come by? Feel free to PM me!
Old Jul 16th 2019, 11:36 am
Account Closed

>>BE Guest003 is an unknown quantity at this point

When I got mine, I had to pay a fee of c. 9 euros. The govt. office gave me a slip of paper, I crossed the street to the bank, gave them the paper and the money and they made the transfer, gave me a receipt which I took back to the office who handed me the residence card.
Old Jul 16th 2019, 11:37 am
Account Closed

>>BE Guest003 is an unknown quantity at this point

It really is worth giving the whole lot to a solicitor and letting them get on with it. Especially if you they go with you to get the residence card. I hired one (c. 100 euros) and the whole thing was totally stress free.
Old Jul 16th 2019, 11:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lochinvar101
It really is worth giving the whole lot to a solicitor and letting them get on with it. Especially if you they go with you to get the residence card. I hired one (c. 100 euros) and the whole thing was totally stress free.
I tend to agree especially in these uncertain times
Old Jul 16th 2019, 11:57 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

This has to be seen in this thread,, how to do paperwork in Spain.