Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Residencia card

Residencia card

Old Nov 10th 2018, 9:25 am
Banned

Johncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Residencia card

Originally Posted by bobd22
John I don't think that is totally correct? If someone is legally resident in the UK they are entitled to UK state provided health care? That being the case majority will not have health insurance or indeed have needed it. The rules do differ for those from outside the EU. One important thing is the guidelines do state that those legally resident for 5 years can apply for this "settled status" those resident but under 5 years can remain and apply once they have the required 5 years. They must meet the requirements set identity conviction history etc but no mention of proving health care insurance, maybe that is those who stay after ? Date waiting to comply with 5 years will have to go private unless paid under equivlent of s1. However legally that was how it has been in Spain until the change this summer? My understanding so long as there is a deal done is it has been agreed in the last stage that the same or very similar must apply to UK residents resident in the EU with the same agreed terms re close family members not currently resident being applied. Here's the UK government link on settled status for EU Nationals resident in UK.
https://www.gov.uk/settled-status-eu...settled-status
Overall my view is legalise your position now. Many expats seem to burry their heads when Brexit is mentioned as if by not speaking of it then it will go away? It won't it's with us but if you ignore it then you may well miss something important, ignorance may be bliss but as always is no excuse if you then get it wrong. Those with 5 or more years residency with or without it actually being stamped on the card (the date obtained is on there) probably have nothing other than bit of paperwork possibly to worry about. Those resident under 5 years but legally resident probably similar but may have another bit of paperwork to do to achieve the 5 years. Those clever people that have or are flying under the radar? Well who knows but the clock is ticking if come 30 March they say you are illegal and not welcome blame yourselves no one else. It is confusing but there is information available so be prepared.
Hi Bob

I only picked that information up from the link you posted.

https://www.spanishsolutions.net/blo...ing-residency/
Old Nov 10th 2018, 9:28 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

The whole process is currently being beta tested and details are here

https://assets.publishing.service.go...2-v1.0-ext.pdf

It is a very complicated process, but is is almost a formality if you have been in the UK and have already established permanent residence. Incidentally, under those circumstances, there is no charge.

For those who have not yet established residence the requirements to prove eligibility are complex but at least it is an online system.

As Bob just said, it is important for those in Spain who have not already registered to start taking it seriously and register. If not, they are likely to have to go through a similar process to the one used in the UK.

As far as costs are concerned, in the UK it is still cheaper than a UK citizen getting a passport. In Spain, the current low charge of €10 for registration is because it is decreed by the EU that it should be the same as a Spanish citizen applying for an ID (DNI). If the UK had introduced the same registration system (which they could have done but opted out) then they could have charged even more to match the UK passport charges.
Old Nov 10th 2018, 9:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
Thanks re that link Fred I will have a read through it. I have recently obtained residency padron etc. While doing the residency at the police station the lady told my gestor that there was a new form now to apply, she did accept my application using the old one. I have no idea what the difference in the form is or if brexit has any involvement in the change? Probably not given UK has not left yet .