Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

replacement sky recievers in spain

replacement sky recievers in spain

Old Dec 24th 2009, 5:01 pm
Just Joined

bigbuddha is an unknown quantity at this point
Default replacement sky recievers in spain

Hi everybody, and merry christmas to you all.

this is my first posting, and i am really hoping somebody can help me out. got up yhis morning, sky reciever not working. went and bought a new one as its christmas eve and dont want to miss the queens speech tomorrow, ahem. anyway, plugged new box in and set up as normal, the problem is, all i get on the tv screen is the message"No satellite signal being recieved". i only have the free channels, the viewing card was given to me by a friend, who now has some community system, so no longer needs it. Please please help. i will be grateful for any advice given

Many many thanks
Old Dec 24th 2009, 7:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

battlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: replacement sky recievers in spain

Satguy is the person who can help you, and there are others. Have you tried going to Services then zero one select. Then press number 2 (LNB transponder). Enter 12129 and save changes, then press back, back to get back to main screen. The box then should find the channels.

You also need to search the forum as there will be more helpful clues. Lots of people have this problem. Hope you get it working for tomorrow!
Old Dec 24th 2009, 9:37 pm
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

as per the above post, you may need to help the box boot up, by asking it to download the initial boot data from another frequency.

it may be that you are not ableto receive the default transponder frequency of 11778, and therefore your box is not able to download the information is needs to start to work - hence the "no signal being received".

so, you can ask the box to download the critical parts of the information it needs from another satellite - by doing the process above (and http://www.satandpcguy.com/Site/sky_...anca_spain.php)

NOTE: This process does not keep channels in longer, and it is normal for the box to revert back to its original freuqency of 11778.

Of you do this process and get the date and time showin gon the screen, then witin 30 seconds or so you should have pictures back.

If not try the process again, starting by unplugging the box form the power, waiting for 30 seconds, reaplly power, and try the process again.

If it does not work after 2 or 3 attempts thenthere is probably another reason fo not receiving a signal - like dish move or LNB probleams or cable problems.

Hope this helps and allows you to see Queenie
Old Dec 25th 2009, 3:21 am
BE Enthusiast

billymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nice

Originally Posted by bigbuddha
Hi everybody, and merry christmas to you all.

this is my first posting, and i am really hoping somebody can help me out. got up yhis morning, sky reciever not working. went and bought a new one as its christmas eve and dont want to miss the queens speech tomorrow, ahem. anyway, plugged new box in and set up as normal, the problem is, all i get on the tv screen is the message"No satellite signal being recieved". i only have the free channels, the viewing card was given to me by a friend, who now has some community system, so no longer needs it. Please please help. i will be grateful for any advice given

Many many thanks
you say you got up this morning and your sky receiver was not working, you then went and bought a new one which is also not working, it looks like you have problem with your dish or lnb.
Old Dec 25th 2009, 10:21 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by billymacker
you say you got up this morning and your sky receiver was not working, you then went and bought a new one which is also not working, it looks like you have problem with your dish or lnb.
Or maybe the thunder and lightening upset the first box and it just needed resetting ?
As guy says the second box needs help setting itself up, so maybe either of the boxes just need setting up.
Old Dec 25th 2009, 12:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: replacement sky recievers in spain

Originally Posted by The Guy
as per the above post, you may need to help the box boot up, by asking it to download the initial boot data from another frequency.

it may be that you are not ableto receive the default transponder frequency of 11778, and therefore your box is not able to download the information is needs to start to work - hence the "no signal being received".

so, you can ask the box to download the critical parts of the information it needs from another satellite - by doing the process above (and http://www.satandpcguy.com/Site/sky_...anca_spain.php)

NOTE: This process does not keep channels in longer, and it is normal for the box to revert back to its original freuqency of 11778.

Of you do this process and get the date and time showin gon the screen, then witin 30 seconds or so you should have pictures back.

If not try the process again, starting by unplugging the box form the power, waiting for 30 seconds, reaplly power, and try the process again.

If it does not work after 2 or 3 attempts thenthere is probably another reason fo not receiving a signal - like dish move or LNB probleams or cable problems.

Hope this helps and allows you to see Queenie
I have just bought a new box of ebay and it works fine on freesat but my package just comes up no signal. I thought you had to ring SKY and get them to "Pair" the new box to your old card and then it all works fine? Intend to do that in the new year.
Old Dec 25th 2009, 10:07 pm
Just Joined

bigbuddha is an unknown quantity at this point

Many thanx to you all for the help and advice.Its working. Sadly i missed the Queen by 10 minutes. Never mind, there's always next year.
Old Dec 26th 2009, 12:52 am

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by John & Kath
I have just bought a new box of ebay and it works fine on freesat but my package just comes up no signal. I thought you had to ring SKY and get them to "Pair" the new box to your old card and then it all works fine? Intend to do that in the new year.
YOu should be able to view all the channels apart from Sky Sports and Sky Movies and ESPN - these are the only ones that require to be working in the correctly paired box.

with a non paired card in a sky box should allow you to see all the "6 mixes" channels and all the free to air ones.

If you are getting "no signal" message then something is wrong with the box, dish, cable, or LNB.
Old Dec 27th 2009, 11:39 am
BE Enthusiast

spainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud of

Ive always set mine to 12051. I noticed a lot of people have theirs at 12129.

Should that matter? My bbc breaks up at midnight. Should it be stronger if i set it at 12129?
Old Dec 27th 2009, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by spainboy
Ive always set mine to 12051. I noticed a lot of people have theirs at 12129.

Should that matter? My bbc breaks up at midnight. Should it be stronger if i set it at 12129?
It is a total myth that changing the default transponder makes channels last longer.

It will make no difference at all...as BBCs are not transmitted on either of those frequencies anyway.

And there are only 7 channels on 12051 - some childrens channels and CNN - no bbcs.
And there are only 7 channels on 12129 - S4C, shopping, B4 Movies - no bbcs.

You only need to do the process of changing the default transponder (and set it to any of the 90 plus frequencies you can receive) to HELP THE BOX BOOT UP, if it cannot receive the boot up information from the main transponder of 11778 (as all the other frequencies carry a limited amount of data the boxes need to boot up).

YOu know when you need to change the default transponder frequency after a power cut, as the box will be "searching for listings" then "no signal beign received" and, moreimportanly, there will be no date and time on the screen. If you are getting the date and time, then the box has located a signal, and will start to work once the data download has been completed.

That all.

The sky box will use whichever of the 90plus frequencies it needs to look at for the channels you select to watch, totally overriding the frequency you have manually input intot he default transponder.

So if you are watching Sky News, the sky box will be using frequency 12207, if you are watching BBC News the box will be using 11954h, or if you are watching BBC2 UK it will use 10773h

It is totally normal for the default transponder to revert back to 11778 - it should do this - as on this frequency is the music used for the Sky menus - used whenever you press TVGUIDE, SERVICES, BOX OFFICE or INTERACTIVE.

And why, when you go to the signal test screen, it can show not locked yet you still receive TV channels - as once in the signal test screen that screen is measuring the signal strength of 11778 - that is will be using for the music!

So changing your frequency to 12129 will not increase the time available for your BBC channel or stop it from breaking up at midnight. Only realignment, bigger dish, LNB replacement will do this.

Last edited by The Guy; Dec 27th 2009 at 12:53 pm.