Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

repeat prescriptions in costa del sol

repeat prescriptions in costa del sol

Old Aug 26th 2012, 9:06 pm
Just Joined

Tracey... has a brilliant futureTracey... has a brilliant futureTracey... has a brilliant futureTracey... has a brilliant futureTracey... has a brilliant futureTracey... has a brilliant futureTracey... has a brilliant future
Default Re: repeat prescriptions in costa del sol

Originally Posted by Domino
it will depend on the why he gets repeat prescriptions - if relatively innocuous (which as in my case just hypertension) or if he is receiving long term Incapacity Benefit.

The DWP issue a form called an S1, of which there are 2 types
a) for the fully retired or those on long term incapacity benefit see
http://ukinspain.fco.gov.uk/en/help-...althcare/e121/

b) for early retirees and those posted workers sent by their company see
http://ukinspain.fco.gov.uk/en/help-...althcare/e106/

Initially he should also ensure he has an EHIC so he has cover until such time as the relevent S1 is issued. However, if he has been abroad on holiday then he probably has one already. (Since 1st May 2010, the UK is responsible for issuing the EHIC to UK pensioners resident in other EU countries). For further info see
http://ukinspain.fco.gov.uk/en/help-...althcare/ehic/

you will find the FCO website full of interesting information for those intending to move permanantly or temporarily to Spain.

As to costs, as others say, there are variables. Not yet of retirement age but registered in the Spanish System, with S1 etc my last prescription cost €3.84 for 4 packets for the month. Not the same as the free from the NHS but about 8-10% of the full price on the Spanish database (according to the receipt they now give you showing these prices). They seem to generally use the same generic names in my case so no different names to learn.

If already registered with UK local GP to make online appointments and repeat perscription requests you should find it will tell you what items and the doseage etc. It can be a good idea to print off a copy of that to give to the doctor in Spain - he will understand it.

Hope this is enough to help your BIL and get him making contact and ordering the relevent forms. It may be another country, another language, another health system but it isnt all that different IMHE

kind regards
thank you domino, i will pass it all on, not sure what he gets x