Reload this Page >

Renting a villa in Malaga province for winter

Renting a villa in Malaga province for winter

Old Jun 23rd 2015, 10:02 am
Just Joined

ClareMac is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Renting a villa in Malaga province for winter

Hi there,

I'm new to the site and hoping to gain some insights from those who live in the area. My husband and I currently live in Tunisia and are looking at a move to the Malaga area in October. We would like to rent a furnished villa (pet friendly if that's relevant) for 6 months while we decide on a potential permeant move in which case we would buy. We are hoping to get some ideas of a good location. We don't want to be in a big city - Malaga centre and we don't want to be in an expat enclave. Any ideas on somewhere a little more Spanish/cultural but not too remote from a decent sized town & coast.

Thanks!
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 11:25 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renting a villa in Malaga province for winter

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 12:17 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for the warm welcome Rosemary. Looks like people on here have a lot of knowledge so hoping to gather some good insights!
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 10:34 pm
Forum Regular

Leper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond repute

If you are not hell-bent in renting in Málaga province I recommend you have a look at Mojacar Playa, Costa Almeria. Costa Almería has the driest and warmest temps in mainland Spain. Rentals there would be cheaper than in most of the province of Málaga.

The only downside to renting in Costa Almeria is that Almeria Airport does not have as many flights as say Málaga airport. You could use Alicante and Murcia airports though.
Old Jun 24th 2015, 3:50 am
BE Enthusiast

chrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Renting a villa in Malaga province for winter

Originally Posted by ClareMac
Hi there,

I'm new to the site and hoping to gain some insights from those who live in the area. My husband and I currently live in Tunisia and are looking at a move to the Malaga area in October. We would like to rent a furnished villa (pet friendly if that's relevant) for 6 months while we decide on a potential permeant move in which case we would buy. We are hoping to get some ideas of a good location. We don't want to be in a big city - Malaga centre and we don't want to be in an expat enclave. Any ideas on somewhere a little more Spanish/cultural but not too remote from a decent sized town & coast.

Thanks!
Hi Clare, The best thing to do is to come and have a look first. Stay in a hotel for a few days to do your research as there are so many options and only you will know what you are looking for. Country or coast, town or village, established Expat communities or totally Spanish, busy or quiet!! These are all available here. If you take the stretch of coast from Estepona to Nerja first then see how far you would like to live from the coast and go inland accordingly.
We deliberated for years and finally decided to live in a village in the mountains only twenty minutes north of Marbella.
Good luck and tell us where you finally decide. Chris
Old Jun 24th 2015, 7:56 am
Just Joined

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your advice. We are planning on making a 10 day visit at the beginning of August to scout out the area. We'll be staying in Alhurin and have hired a car to make the most of the time. Just thought I might be able to narrow it down a bit. We are thinking that East of Malaga is probably less dominated with expats than towards Marbella??? We're excited to check out the possibilities.

Cheers,
Clare
Old Jun 24th 2015, 8:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your advice. We are planning on making a 10 day visit at the beginning of August to scout out the area. We'll be staying in Alhurin and have hired a car to make the most of the time. Just thought I might be able to narrow it down a bit. We are thinking that East of Malaga is probably less dominated with expats than towards Marbella??? We're excited to check out the possibilities.

Cheers,
Clare
There are expats everywhere in the area. Alhaurin El Grande is full of expats so is Nerja in the East. The most Spanish areas are actually the cities of Málaga and Marbella

But saying that, it is perfectly possible to avoid expats if you so want to and live a Spanish life. Spanish people are still in the majority on most of the coast. One golden rule, never speak English in the street! Worked for me when I lived down there

If you go around speaking English then Spanish people will ignore you thinking you are a tourist, residential or otherwise. If you speak Spanish well then they know that you will stick around a while and so worth talking to and getting to know you
Old Jun 24th 2015, 8:13 am
Just Joined

Hi Leper,

Thanks for the tip I'll have a look at Almeria online now to get an idea. Moving from Tunisia I definitely like the idea of a warm!

Clare
Old Jun 24th 2015, 8:16 am
Just Joined

Thanks Cricketman,

That's helpful. My husband is fluent in Spanish and I'm learning. I already speak French and Arabic so I'm finding the online course I'm doing easy by comparison. I hate being a Brit abroad so I try to use any words I have in the local language when I travel.
Old Jun 25th 2015, 4:12 am
BE Enthusiast

chrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Renting a villa in Malaga province for winter

Hi Chris,

Cheers,
Clare
Hi Clare, You can find places around Alhaurin that do not have a lot of British Expats but dont get too concerned about them because thats what we all are in reality. East of Malaga is not much different as the whole of the Costa del Sol is very popular with a lot of people from other parts of Europe and Scandinavia.
Marbella is a beautiful town and like everywhere in Spain still retains its cultural identity because its so strong.
How much does the coast mean to you and your family? Do you need to go to the beach every week? Inland can be hotter in the summer as you will discover but even Alhaurin is not far from the coast. Its just what suits your lifestyle and your pocket when it comes to buying.
All the best, Chris
Old Jun 25th 2015, 10:03 am
Just Joined

Hi Chris,
Thanks, we'll definitely have a look around Alhurin. The beach is not really important per se, it's more that we don't want to feel too remote from nice cafes and restaurants. Budget is not a huge factor though we do like value for money of course. Marbella seems pretty over priced - no doubt because it's so sought after. We really want a private villa with a decent sized private garden because we have a dog.
Cheers,
Clare
Old Jun 27th 2015, 10:49 pm
Forum Regular

lovingthesun is just really nicelovingthesun is just really nicelovingthesun is just really nicelovingthesun is just really nicelovingthesun is just really nicelovingthesun is just really nicelovingthesun is just really nicelovingthesun is just really nicelovingthesun is just really nice

These comments really amuse me - please do not worry so much about mixing with a few 'expats' - we really won't harm you and our 'Britishness' isn't contagious - like leprosy for example as you all seem to think .......sheeshh.......

Yes - east of Málaga has far fewer of the 'dreaded English speaking ones' and there are even fewer if you dare venture a few miles away away from the playas

We live near the town of Periana - 30 mins inland from the coast, one hour from Málaga airport and the amazing cultural attractions there, 90 mins from fantastic Granada - no more need be said.....

We have a vibrant multicultural community where the new alcalde called a meeting last week to hear the views of of us 'guiris' - what we would like to see in the community, etc .....

There is an excellent Facebook information group for the Axarquia area which has over 3,000 members of ALL nationalities - please send me a PM if you are interested in joining - though the admin needs to see some existing connection to the area..... it's called the Axarquia Local Info group

For any readers among you - you may be interested in this book.......it sums up much of the attitude to be found out here ha-ha-ha

Amazon Amazon

Amazon Amazon
Old Jun 28th 2015, 1:43 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lovingthesun
These comments really amuse me - please do not worry so much about mixing with a few 'expats' - we really won't harm you and our 'Britishness' isn't contagious - like leprosy for example as you all seem to think .......sheeshh.......
Perhaps you misunderstand me. I am British myself! I have lived abroad for 15 years. I make it a personal policy to try to incorporate myself into the local culture where I have chosen to live. I know a lot of expats who never learn the language and seek to live as they would at home ignoring local customs and culture. I also know that it is too easy to take the easy route of making English speaking friends minimising effort to integrate. This reason I mentioned in the first post that we would like to live somewhere more Spanish that in a predominantly expat community.
Old Jun 28th 2015, 4:09 pm
Forum Regular

avocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud of

Lovinginthesun makes a very valid point.

Once you've lived amongst Spaniards for a few years, you will begin to understand. Although some people never "get it".

Communication isn't all about language. Beware of people who are critical of their own nationality!!
Old Jun 28th 2015, 5:51 pm
Just Joined

Dear Avocados,
Could you please point out in what way I have been critical of my own nationality? I came on this forum to get some helpful advice not to be insulted!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.