Reload this Page >

Renting Requirements in Spain

Renting Requirements in Spain

Old Apr 27th 2020, 3:38 pm
Forum Regular

Emmaandrichi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Renting Requirements in Spain

Hola Todos,

I am considering all of my options in starting my life in Spain all eventualities considered..

Plan A involves using my Spanish partners parents address as a padron whilst we house-hunt.

Plan B is to rent a place with a contract and get the padron that way.
In order to rent, do I need a guarantor as is protocol in the UK? Or is it ok to have proof of the 7k in the bank as is required for residency? Perhaps paying for 6 months upfront.
With this padron I would then apply for residency before the Brexit deadline. I have read that I will need to submit proof of my healthcare and financial support. Will this need to be translated into Spanish?
I am then assuming that once the paperwork is in the pipes I will be considered 'pending' and be accepted even if the bureaucratic process is unresolved due to the backlog.
What is being said about Brexit residency application in relation to Coronavirus on the peninsula?

Many thanks,
Emma
Old Apr 27th 2020, 4:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renting Requirements in Spain

Originally Posted by Emmaandrichi
Hola Todos,

I am considering all of my options in starting my life in Spain all eventualities considered..

Plan A involves using my Spanish partners parents address as a padron whilst we house-hunt.

In order to rent, do I need a guarantor as is protocol in the UK? Or is it ok to have proof of the 7k in the bank as is required for residency? Perhaps paying for 6 months upfront.
With this padron I would then apply for residency before the Brexit deadline. I have read that I will need to submit proof of my healthcare and financial support. Will this need to be translated into Spanish?
I am then assuming that once the paperwork is in the pipes I will be considered 'pending' and be accepted even if the bureaucratic process is unresolved due to the backlog.
What is being said about Brexit residency application in relation to Coronavirus on the peninsula?

Many thanks,
Emma
Plan A is the cheaper option.

For rental there are normally two concepts:
1. Fianza - Normally one month's rent which the owner should put in a separate account . This you would expect to receive back once the contract ends providing all conditions are met
2. Depositio - Guarantees payment agreed between owner and tenant - no minimum or maximum - can be 6 months.
Variations may include : . A deposit and guarantor who would assume the responsibilities of the contract in the event that you do not pay. In this case a Spanish bank may provide the guarantee which will be a fee they charge to you.
Old Apr 28th 2020, 8:20 am
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renting Requirements in Spain

Originally Posted by Emmaandrichi
Hola Todos,

Many thanks,
Emma
Hi,

I think plan B is best.
When we rented we had to put forward 1 months advanced rent and equivalent to 1 months rent as a deposit which should be returned, if conditions are met, at the end of the contract. I've never been asked to name a guarantor. You may be asked to prove you have a Spanish bank account but you won't have to divulge the content to a landlord or estate agent. You can make your own arrangements with the landlord how you will pay your rent but the downside of paying 6 months up front is if you decide you don't like the area or indeed any close neighbours. Then problems may arise getting any monies returned and getting out of the contract.

Apply for residency as soon as you can after arrival. You will need to prove you have a Spanish bank account and that you have enough income so not to become a burden on the state. The authorities like to see bank statements showing 3 months of regular income or a large enough balance to suit.

You will need to prove you have full healthcare that covers you and any dependants.

You will be issued with a NIE number whilst the application is going through or you could apply for a number beforehand but you will need to go through a similar process of supplying paperwork.

Some posters will suggest you do all the paperwork and form filling yourself to save money but I always suggest going through a Solicitor who can usually speed up the process. It's far easier and less stressful.

We still don't know of the requirements for applying for residency after Brexit and will be far easier to apply now but at the moment especially with Spain in lockdown there will be a large backlog for residency applications.

Hope I've helped.

Steve