Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Renting with 3 dogs

Renting with 3 dogs

Old May 1st 2014, 12:54 pm
Forum Regular

hatecold has a reputation beyond reputehatecold has a reputation beyond reputehatecold has a reputation beyond reputehatecold has a reputation beyond reputehatecold has a reputation beyond reputehatecold has a reputation beyond reputehatecold has a reputation beyond reputehatecold has a reputation beyond reputehatecold has a reputation beyond reputehatecold has a reputation beyond reputehatecold has a reputation beyond repute
Default Renting with 3 dogs

Hi everyone, my first post.

I'm planning to go and practice living in Spain next winter for 3 to 6 months. I have three mid sized dogs and I am wondering how dog friendly the the landlords are in general.

I have searched all sorts of properties mainly on English sites ThinkSpain and such, but they don't usually offer info on whether pets are allowed or not.

Do they usually say pets welcome if they are or are pets welcome if they don't say they're not?

I have a million other questions as well, but let's start with the most important one. :-)
Old May 1st 2014, 1:45 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renting with 3 dogs

As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old May 1st 2014, 1:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Finally now living in Lo Marabu, Rojales, and it feels like home
andyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond repute

In Ex-Pat areas generally I find they don't give 2 hoots, other places its about the noise, well it is here too, I looked at a place the other day in San Vicente in Alicante for next year and they was fine about the dog's.

Its certainly notr as difficult as in the Uk to find somewhere, I guess easy wipe floors and easy to maintain gardens help, also plenty of dog bins and stuff around, vets on every corner.

I don't think you would have a problem.
Old May 1st 2014, 3:18 pm
I believe.

Grebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud of

We came across a few ( Spanish) landlords that expected the dogs to stay out side all the time & not allow them in the house at all.
We just went elsewhere, if that's what they wanted, fair enough.

Suzi
Old May 1st 2014, 4:41 pm
Forum Regular

hatecold has a reputation beyond reputehatecold has a reputation beyond reputehatecold has a reputation beyond reputehatecold has a reputation beyond reputehatecold has a reputation beyond reputehatecold has a reputation beyond reputehatecold has a reputation beyond reputehatecold has a reputation beyond reputehatecold has a reputation beyond reputehatecold has a reputation beyond reputehatecold has a reputation beyond repute

Good to hear. Basically one could assume pets are allowed unless otherwise stated. Naturally I would check and make sure it is ok, before entering into any agreements.

It would be great to find a place with fenced (high) garden, even a small one. My dogs like to spend time outside just lying around.

I've understood that they have very strict rules about having your dogs on a lead all the time. I wonder if there are any dog park where they could run free sometimes?
Old May 1st 2014, 5:02 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

We have rented for 14 years here with anything from 1 to 3 dogs and never had a problem but we are in a rural village, it might be different in a city or resort town.

The lead an dog walking issue will also depend upon where you are. In our village there are dogs wandering around off the lead or even on their own all the time - I don't approve and the rules say they should be on a lead.

Loads of country walks around here - will be different in different locations.
Old May 1st 2014, 10:15 pm
Just Joined

Kevin Javea is an unknown quantity at this point

We rent out a villa in Javea and although we don't state pets are welcome, we would consider them on an individual basis. I think most landlords would be the same as this and if you were planning to stay for an extended period then it would be worth the landlords while even if the dogs damaged the property slightly. Give it a shot!
Old May 2nd 2014, 2:33 pm
Account Closed

IamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond repute

I believe dogs over 30kg have to be muzzled and on a lead. This only seems to be supported in built up areas. Head out to the campo and anything goes ... or at least it seems to.
I walk my dogs off the lead in the campo daily. Only once did a lady say they should be on a lead. Basically my golden retriever went up to her wagging his head. She got a bit spooked because he´s quite big.
Old May 2nd 2014, 6:50 pm
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute

I live in Madrid and have only had 1 landlord who wasn't happy about us having dogs in the apartment but once they saw our dogs this was no longer an issue. I've also never used or been told to use a muzzle and one of ours is a German Shepherd......TBH I've never seen a muzzle on a dog over here and we're not the only ones with a German Shepherd in the area.
Old May 3rd 2014, 8:42 am
Account Closed

IamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madridboy
I live in Madrid and have only had 1 landlord who wasn't happy about us having dogs in the apartment but once they saw our dogs this was no longer an issue. I've also never used or been told to use a muzzle and one of ours is a German Shepherd......TBH I've never seen a muzzle on a dog over here and we're not the only ones with a German Shepherd in the area.
You surprise me in saying that. My only doubt with the law is if it applies to dogs at 30kg and above, but for sure it applies to what are considered dangerous breeds. I believe German Shepherds are in this category.
Old May 3rd 2014, 9:29 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IamStu
I believe dogs over 30kg have to be muzzled and on a lead. This only seems to be supported in built up areas. Head out to the campo and anything goes ... or at least it seems to.
I walk my dogs off the lead in the campo daily. Only once did a lady say they should be on a lead. Basically my golden retriever went up to her wagging his head. She got a bit spooked because he´s quite big.
Many Spanish people are frightened of dogs because, for some reason, many Spanish kids tend to approach dogs feet first and this obviously makes the dogs react. I've seen it many times and I've had it confirmed by Spanish people.

Once, sitting at a bar my small dog was under the table and a Spanish child came to stroke it but it soon turned into a kicking session. The kids parents were laughing until a particularly vicious kick made the dog growl, then they looked at me like it was my fault. There is something rather unpleasant in the Spanish psyche with regard to animals.

Anyway my dog Button runs up to anyone - she's a bit of a tart like that -wagging her tail, well arse really - she hasn't got a tail. The last time she did it the kid screamed and ran back to his mum crying.

This is Button - scary huh?
Attached Thumbnails Renting with 3 dogs-button-haircut-017.jpg  
Old May 3rd 2014, 12:10 pm
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IamStu
You surprise me in saying that. My only doubt with the law is if it applies to dogs at 30kg and above, but for sure it applies to what are considered dangerous breeds. I believe German Shepherds are in this category.
TBH I think people aren't bothered unless they feel the need to be worried, our 2 play fine with other dogs and the locals here like them

Cooling off in a park in Madrid
Old May 3rd 2014, 7:51 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato
Many Spanish people are frightened of dogs because, for some reason, many Spanish kids tend to approach dogs feet first and this obviously makes the dogs react. I've seen it many times and I've had it confirmed by Spanish people.

Once, sitting at a bar my small dog was under the table and a Spanish child came to stroke it but it soon turned into a kicking session. The kids parents were laughing until a particularly vicious kick made the dog growl, then they looked at me like it was my fault. There is something rather unpleasant in the Spanish psyche with regard to animals.

Anyway my dog Button runs up to anyone - she's a bit of a tart like that -wagging her tail, well arse really - she hasn't got a tail. The last time she did it the kid screamed and ran back to his mum crying.

This is Button - scary huh?
Bloody 'ell, looks like a real killer.
I imagine would-be intruders must be shaking in their boots.

I have a JRT, little dog thinks he's a Rotty.
Loves taking the p!ss by going up to all the garden gates to casually cock his leg up, while the vicious monster guard dogs inside are howling for his blood only inches away.
Old May 3rd 2014, 9:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

They'll be glad you joined, Rob.
Old May 3rd 2014, 9:41 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira
They'll be glad you joined, Rob.
Especially with such a desperate shortage of houses for sale and accommodation at present, eh ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.