Rentals and hard wired Internet access

Rentals and hard wired Internet access

Old Jan 9th 2016, 3:55 am
Just Joined

mickypalmer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Rentals and hard wired Internet access

Hi All

I am a British citizen.

I have been based in Thailand for 10 years and am now considering moving back to Europe. The questions I have are based on my experiences in Thailand and may seem a little naive! Apologies but your advice/information would be appreciated.

It is my intention to relocate to Madrid for the first 12 months. I intend to rent a small apartment. I work as an on line English Teacher for which it is essential I have a hard-wired Internet connection - wi-fi isn't adequate because the audio is simply not reliable enough.

In Thailand, I cannot obtain a wired connection myself because I am a foreigner. I therefore have to get the Thai landlord to subscribe to a service on my behalf. What's the situation in Spain? Presumably the landlord has to agree but can I subscribe to a service myself as an EU citizen? Is it easy to obtain a reliable, fast wired service in a rented apartment in Madrid?

In Thailand it is not possible to obtain finance in your own name for a car. You either have to pay cash to own the car or have a Thai put their name to a loan (and the car is then registered in their name). I will be exploring during my first 12 months and, whilst I suspect a car will not be essential in Madrid, I believe it will be an asset when exploring for work as an English Teacher and for selecting a long term base. Is it possible for a foreigner (EU citizen) to get a loan for a car in their own name (I guess that hiring may be the better option in the short term)?

Any information gratefully received and many thanks in anticipation!
Old Jan 9th 2016, 6:37 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rentals and hard wired Internet access

In my experience a Wifi dongle works very well in all of the Spanish cities I have visited - including Madrid. Foreign nationals do not face restrictions like those in Thailand. You need NIE, proof of residence (pardon) and of course meet the lenders conditions to register a car and obtain finance. Any reputable car dealer will advise and arrange on your behalf.

Last edited by missile; Jan 9th 2016 at 7:44 am.
Old Jan 9th 2016, 7:04 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missile
In my experience a Wifi dongle works very well in all of the Spanish cities I have visited - including Madrid. Foreign nationals do not face restrictions like those in Thailand. You need NEI, proof of residence (pardon) and of course meet the lenders conditions to register a car and obtain finance. Any reputable car dealer will advise and arrange on your behalf.
Sorry to correct - that should be NIE (which is a national identity number for foreigners) this is reasonably easy to get; and Padron, which registration with the local authority - strictly speaking you have to be resident to register on the Padron (empadronamente) so this is not necessarily mandatory. Some other proof of address is usually sufficient, eg rental agreement or lease. You will probably also need a Spanish bank account to start with or you may get tangled in money laundering red tape - especially if you want to transfer large funds from Thailand.
Madrid, I understand, has lots of fibre-optic broadband so you should be able to select an area which has superfast broadband for your apartment. Maybe choose one which is already connected. Otherwise, Movistar is the commercial name of Spanish Telecom so that's the place to start. Just like in the UK there are many other suppliers of broadband services once you have established the local loop connection.
Likewise, to buy a car you will need your NIE. There are a number of threads on this forum which cover buying a car and pointing out possible pitfalls - if you follow the good advice you should be fine (although parking in Madrid can be a nightmare)

Last edited by MikeJ; Jan 9th 2016 at 7:07 am.
Old Jan 9th 2016, 7:44 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the corrections. 1.Excuse my typo. 2.You are of course correct, by definition one should be "resident" to register on the pardon. However, most foreigners (whether resident or not) find it easier to negotiate the red tape if they have an NIE and are on the padron. As you say both are easy to obtain. > In theory one only needs to show proof of address to register a car at trafico. However in practice, I do not know anyone who has been able to register a car, without first being on the pardon. Perhaps you do?

Last edited by missile; Jan 9th 2016 at 7:50 am.
Old Jan 9th 2016, 7:57 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missile
Thanks for the corrections. 1.Excuse my typo. 2.You are of course correct, by definition one should be "resident" to register on the pardon. However, most foreigners (whether resident or not) find it easier to negotiate the red tape if they have an NIE and are on the padron. As you say both are easy to obtain. > In theory one only needs to show proof of address to register a car at trafico. However in practice, I do not know anyone who has been able to register a car, without first being on the pardon. Perhaps you do?
... what's with this 'pardon' @missile
Old Jan 9th 2016, 9:03 am
Started off with nothing

LOL, maybe OP can teach me English
Old Jan 11th 2016, 10:50 pm
Just Joined

mickypalmer is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the information. Much appreciated. Mind you, it took me 30 minutes to spot the difference between pardon and padron!
Old Jan 12th 2016, 7:53 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mickypalmer
Thanks for the information. Much appreciated. Mind you, it took me 30 minutes to spot the difference between pardon and padron!
Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Jan 18th 2016, 1:44 pm
Just Joined

benwill.iam is an unknown quantity at this point

@mickypalmer

A couple of pointers, from my experience of Madrid.

1. A car in Madrid would be a total disaster. The place is collapsed with traffic, there's practically nowhere to park for free and the Metro (underground) covers most of the city. If you really want motorized transport then get a scooter.

2. Internet - go for a mobile "dongle" style internet connection. This allows you to take it with you when working and it's simpler to move apartment.

Ben
Old Jan 18th 2016, 1:52 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by benwill.iam
@mickypalmer

A couple of pointers, from my experience of Madrid.

1. A car in Madrid would be a total disaster. The place is collapsed with traffic, there's practically nowhere to park for free and the Metro (underground) covers most of the city. If you really want motorized transport then get a scooter.

2. Internet - go for a mobile "dongle" style internet connection. This allows you to take it with you when working and it's simpler to move apartment.

Ben
Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary