rental tax

Old Dec 27th 2010, 10:12 am
Forum Regular

celestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nicecelestine is just really nice
Default rental tax

Hi all, hope your festive season so far has been filled with fun. A question for those with more knowledge than I. My Mum lives in Spain and is a British pensioner, she has a house here in Spain which is her only property she doesn't own a house in the UK and she has full residency here in Spain.

She has been told by a solicitor that 'for the privilege of owning a house here in Spain' she must pay a rental tax despite the fact that she doesn't rent out her property as it is her only home and irrelevant of her having residency. She was initially told by the same solicitor that when she had residency it wouldn't apply however now she has residency she is told that 'the rules have changed'.

Is this true? or Is she being led up a garden path?

many thanks.
Old Dec 27th 2010, 10:30 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: rental tax

Residents do not pay the "Imputed Rental" tax.

They must be tax resident and submitting a tax declaration to be classed as tax resident.

They do pay the tax on a second property though.
Old Dec 27th 2010, 10:42 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
Residents do not pay the "Imputed Rental" tax.

They must be tax resident and submitting a tax declaration to be classed as tax resident.

They do pay the tax on a second property though.
Are you sure Fred?

We have (Spanish) friends who have a flat in town for the winter and a house in the campo for the summer and they don't pay any "Imputed Rental" tax.

Also, we have a number of properties some of which we try and rent out. One of these has been empty for a while but our tax accountant has never mentioned that we should be paying this tax on it.
Old Dec 27th 2010, 12:20 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Are you sure Fred?
Yes, Article 85 of the tax law.

http://noticias.juridicas.com/base_d...6.t10.html#a85

Incidentally if a resident lets a property you used to be able to ignore half the net income for tax - that has now been increased to 60% - it's probably the only tax reduction in the recent budget!
Old Dec 27th 2010, 3:33 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, Article 85 of the tax law.

http://noticias.juridicas.com/base_d...6.t10.html#a85

Incidentally if a resident lets a property you used to be able to ignore half the net income for tax - that has now been increased to 60% - it's probably the only tax reduction in the recent budget!
Thanks Fred - just goes to show. I'll mention it to my tax accountant (NOT)

I wonder how many Spanish with second homes 'forget' to pay this tax?
Old Dec 28th 2010, 11:52 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by celestine
Hi all, hope your festive season so far has been filled with fun. A question for those with more knowledge than I. My Mum lives in Spain and is a British pensioner, she has a house here in Spain which is her only property she doesn't own a house in the UK and she has full residency here in Spain.

She has been told by a solicitor that 'for the privilege of owning a house here in Spain' she must pay a rental tax despite the fact that she doesn't rent out her property as it is her only home and irrelevant of her having residency. She was initially told by the same solicitor that when she had residency it wouldn't apply however now she has residency she is told that 'the rules have changed'.

Is this true? or Is she being led up a garden path?

many thanks.
If she is not a 'tax resident' then it's true, but she just needs to file a tax return each year, she won't have any tax to pay, but it will ensure she doesn't pay the rental tax
Old Dec 28th 2010, 12:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: rental tax

Originally Posted by mikelincs
If she is not a 'tax resident' then it's true, but she just needs to file a tax return each year, she won't have any tax to pay, but it will ensure she doesn't pay the rental tax
She should start by registering with the Hacienda on Modelo 030.
Old Dec 28th 2010, 1:32 pm
Retired and loving it!

But that's not what Fred said!
Old Dec 28th 2010, 2:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

This thread made me realise I should be paying the rental tax.
My understanding is that it is due on properties owned by non residents where there is no rental income.

I immediately contacted my Spanish lawyer to clarify my position and do need to pay the tax. It works out at 48.75 euros for the year but has cost me an additional 100 euros in lawyer fees! Mind you he is filling the forms in for me.
Old Dec 28th 2010, 2:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

I have just noticed a similar thread on the Ayamonte section of this forum, that may be helpful.
It's titled income tax and the last post was on 22 December
Old Dec 28th 2010, 3:50 pm

What sort of nonsense is this?

If she is not tax resident she WILL have to pay the tax,

If she is tax resident she WILL NOT have to pay any tax.

It's pretty simple really!

Last edited by Fred James; Dec 28th 2010 at 3:55 pm.
Old Dec 28th 2010, 4:17 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

What sort of nonsense is this?

If she is not tax resident she WILL have to pay the tax,

If she is tax resident she WILL NOT have to pay any tax.

It's pretty simple really!
That's what I said, but she needs to make a tax declaration each year to ensure that she doesn't pay any rental tax, which is what my post said..
Old Dec 28th 2010, 4:24 pm
Retired and loving it!

That's what I said, but she needs to make a tax declaration each year to ensure that she doesn't pay any rental tax, which is what my post said..
Mike - I think you need to reread your post. Both Fred and I understood you to be saying something that was clearly wrong!

If you make tax returns here then (as I understand it) you are considered tax resident here! Then, as a tax resident, there is tax to pay on her SECOND property!
Old Dec 28th 2010, 4:28 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Mike - I think you need to reread your post. Both Fred and I understood you to be saying something that was clearly wrong!

If you make tax returns here then (as I understand it) you are considered tax resident here! Then, as a tax resident, there is tax to pay on her SECOND property!
Please read the OP, there is NO mention of a second property..
Old Dec 28th 2010, 4:31 pm
Retired and loving it!

Please read the OP, there is NO mention of a second property..
I believe that because she does not live in it as her main residence, it is then considered her SECOND property - I may be wrong of course.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.