rent in Spain

Old Oct 21st 2016, 1:56 am
Just Joined

dorothy t is an unknown quantity at this point
Default rent in Spain

Hi everyone, first time on here . I am in the UK but want to find a new start after things making me unhappy here and not long ago had a bit of a health scare and promised myself if all was well to change things. I have been looking online at renting properties in Spain ,they seem reasonable at the side of Uk rents. The biggest challenge is an income so would like to know how others have done it .I am just 60 and still very active, cant retire for 5 years . I have enough for 3-4 months rent and bills if they are not too expensive? Then if I cant earn a living I would have to come back for a short time to find work here then return. I'm not working at the mo but want to get back into it soon. I worked in retail most of my life but have a bit of reception work experience . Any people who set up a small business or knowledge of what is possible in Spain.

Many thanks dorothy t
Old Oct 21st 2016, 2:03 am
Forum Regular

Cllve has a reputation beyond reputeCllve has a reputation beyond reputeCllve has a reputation beyond reputeCllve has a reputation beyond reputeCllve has a reputation beyond reputeCllve has a reputation beyond reputeCllve has a reputation beyond reputeCllve has a reputation beyond reputeCllve has a reputation beyond reputeCllve has a reputation beyond reputeCllve has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: rent in Spain

Originally Posted by dorothy t
Hi everyone, first time on here . I am in the UK but want to find a new start after things making me unhappy here and not long ago had a bit of a health scare and promised myself if all was well to change things. I have been looking online at renting properties in Spain ,they seem reasonable at the side of Uk rents. The biggest challenge is an income so would like to know how others have done it .I am just 60 and still very active, cant retire for 5 years . I have enough for 3-4 months rent and bills if they are not too expensive? Then if I cant earn a living I would have to come back for a short time to find work here then return. I'm not working at the mo but want to get back into it soon. I worked in retail most of my life but have a bit of reception work experience . Any people who set up a small business or knowledge of what is possible in Spain.

Many thanks dorothy t
Hi Dorothy. I do have to ask whether you are fluent in Spanish. If not, I feel you would have problems in your chosen fields.
Old Oct 21st 2016, 2:10 am
Just Joined

Hi Clive,

I'm afraid I don't speak fluent Spanish and know this could be a problem. I wanted to test the water on what's out there .

Thanks for reply
Old Oct 21st 2016, 2:25 am
Forum Regular

Cllve has a reputation beyond reputeCllve has a reputation beyond reputeCllve has a reputation beyond reputeCllve has a reputation beyond reputeCllve has a reputation beyond reputeCllve has a reputation beyond reputeCllve has a reputation beyond reputeCllve has a reputation beyond reputeCllve has a reputation beyond reputeCllve has a reputation beyond reputeCllve has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Clive,

I'm afraid I don't speak fluent Spanish and know this could be a problem. I wanted to test the water on what's out there .

Thanks for reply
I'm afraid that I might rain on your parade. Unemployment is very high in Spain and the Summer casual jobs are now finished which means that many will be chasing few jobs.

Unlike the U.K. you will have to show an ability to financially support yourself and would also need to cover yourself with private healthcare for at least a year unless you could get a contracted job, which are very hard to come by. In other words if you are not paying into the system, you won't get anything back and that includes any benefits as they are as rare as hens teeth. There is no benefit fall back as in the UK. Please consider working in the U.K. until you receive your state pension as at the moment you would at least be covered by the U.K. for your healthcare in Spain (as of the moment pre brexit)
Old Oct 21st 2016, 2:36 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks dorothy t

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Oct 21st 2016, 2:46 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

So sorry to have to be negative when you are looking at turning your life around and thinking in a positive manner about making changes but the fact is that unfortunately the employment situation for older people is very difficult. Many Spanish people of your age are unable to find work and some of my neighbours were given their pensions early rather than have them on the paro and so that what few jobs around could be available for younger people.

In order to register here you need to be able to show that you can maintain yourself financially either with money in an account or with a monthly income and have private health insurance.

The most sensible thing for you to do would be to wait until you are a pensioner because you would be fully covered with income and health care.

Sorry.

Rosemary
Old Oct 21st 2016, 3:14 am
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute

I have been looking online at renting properties in Spain ,they seem reasonable at the side of Uk rents . I have enough for 3-4 months rent and bills if they are not too expensive?

Many thanks dorothy t
I fully agree with all the other comments about finding work etc but just to satisfy your enquiries about rent and bills:

A 2 bed apartment is about 500 euro per month, 1 bedroom around 300 euro per month.
Electric is around 35 to 60 euro per month. Water and community taxes are usually in the rent price. Of course all the prices can vary depending where you live in Spain.
Food/ leisure and other living expenses can be similar to the UK.

Very best of luck to you Dorothy.

Steve
Old Oct 21st 2016, 4:17 am
Just Joined

Hi

Just read your replies thanks. It was a nice dream while it lasted . I know your right . I 've just gone through so much I wanted to get away from it all and forget the bad things. You have all been very honest and helpful .

Many thanks dorothy t
Old Oct 21st 2016, 4:25 am

Hi

Just read your replies thanks. It was a nice dream while it lasted . I know your right . I 've just gone through so much I wanted to get away from it all and forget the bad things. You have all been very honest and helpful .

Many thanks dorothy t
Do not stop dreaming but start with some serious research. Get a thickish notebook and write down things that you need to know and when you find the answers write them in too. Keep coming on here and read comments because that will give you ideas that you may not have thought about. Also investigate various areas to work out which will suit you.

If you do this it will change your focus in life and that can be just as positive as being able to move now. I regret to say that if you moved now the circumstances might easily mean that you end up suffering more bad things and that would make you feel worse than you do at present.

So take little steps towards your positive future which will have a strong foundation rather than a rocky unsafe one.

Good Luck.

Rosemary
Old Oct 21st 2016, 8:48 am
BE Forum Addict

jonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond repute

I think Tebo53 provides some clues for you.

It is not unknown for people to stay 3-4 months and then return to UK to earn more money.
It is not unknown for people to rely on their ehic card for emergency health care. "Your dream" may not be such an impossibility.
Just do not count on Spain as a place to earn money.
Old Oct 22nd 2016, 12:46 am
Just Joined

Thanks Rosemary for the tips and info. You have helped me lots. Thanks for not telling me to give up , found that inspiring.
Also thanks to jonboy for your advice and again for all who have replied to my post.

dorothy t
Old Oct 22nd 2016, 1:01 am

Thanks Rosemary for the tips and info. You have helped me lots. Thanks for not telling me to give up , found that inspiring.
Also thanks to jonboy for your advice and again for all who have replied to my post.

dorothy t
Have you already zoomed in on one particular part of Spain or is that part of your research?

Why Spain? What is it that you like about it?

Rosemary
Old Apr 13th 2017, 2:05 am
Just Joined

Hi afternoon to everyone,
Can anyone tell me out there if they work for a UK company but work from a place abroad - France or Spain ? Just I'm asking around see if anyone knows. I was told earlier today some people work from home abroad for a UK company using the internet. also what are the companies? I v'e been trying to find out for a while but had no luck.

Thanks

D T