Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

RENOVATION OF A VILLA IN BENELMADENA

RENOVATION OF A VILLA IN BENELMADENA

Old Jan 9th 2016, 4:18 pm
Just Joined

nickhollis is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RENOVATION OF A VILLA IN BENELMADENA

Hi everybody this is my first time on a forum so here goes and any advice would be gratefully accepted.
I have just put a deposit down for a large villa in benalmadena and the villa requires a lot of remedial work to be done to bring it back to life
new windows
plumbing
electrics
kitchen
pool landscaping
etc etc

i run my own construction company in england and get good deals on materials and so is it cheaper in general to purchase materials like bathroom suites and kitchens etc in spain or england

and can anybody recomend good trade man in benalmadena

thank you
Old Jan 9th 2016, 5:00 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: RENOVATION OF A VILLA IN BENELMADENA

Originally Posted by nickhollis
Hi everybody this is my first time on a forum so here goes and any advice would be gratefully accepted.
I have just put a deposit down for a large villa in benalmadena and the villa requires a lot of remedial work to be done to bring it back to life
new windows
plumbing
electrics
kitchen
pool landscaping
etc etc

i run my own construction company in england and get good deals on materials and so is it cheaper in general to purchase materials like bathroom suites and kitchens etc in spain or england

thank you
First job is to get permission from the local town hall for ALL renovation work, even inside the property, then you need to have electricians and plumbers trained in Spain so that the jobs can be signed off. No legal signing off and you will be unable to get the utilities switched on. It's not as easy as you think, owning your own construction company really won't be a great deal of help in many ways. even repainting the outside walls etc needs permission, you could do it without, but that would only need someone to get pissed off with you for some reason and to report you to the town hall, and all that work would be for nothing.
Old Jan 10th 2016, 12:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Horlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nickhollis
new windows
plumbing
electrics
kitchen
pool landscaping
etc etc

thank you
You can check retail prices at Leroy Merlin (google it). I'd imagine trade discount % would be similar. I'd be surprised if you could buy it in the UK and transport it to Spain for less than you could buy it there.
Old Jan 10th 2016, 8:21 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Horlics
You can check retail prices at Leroy Merlin (google it). I'd imagine trade discount % would be similar. I'd be surprised if you could buy it in the UK and transport it to Spain for less than you could buy it there.
Without the OP being autonomo or having his own company in Spain, he won't get trade discounts.
Old Jan 10th 2016, 4:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Horlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Without the OP being autonomo or having his own company in Spain, he won't get trade discounts.
I am not in my own company in the UK but I can get trade discounts on some things. If he's a builder, he'll find a way.

As soon as I got to know my Spanish neighbour I was told, "don't buy anything without speaking to me".

Last edited by Horlics; Jan 10th 2016 at 4:44 pm.
Old Jan 10th 2016, 11:59 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

In my experience, most building materials are cheaper in Spain.