Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Renfe Rail Pass

Wikiposts

Renfe Rail Pass

Old Aug 17th 2012, 9:56 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renfe Rail Pass

Originally Posted by teuchterpete
I went on the Malaga to Barcelona AVE last year, it was brilliant, It did not go into Madrid at all, but it cost me a lot more than that (140euros). Most current journeys seem to be around the 140 for touristica. How do you find them for less than 100, certainly not on the RENFE web site.
Pete
Were there many other passengers? I only ask because 5 and a half hours is a long time for a journey. I know with a flight you have to factor in getting to the airport, check-in times and the rest, but even so I would still think many people going all that distance would prefer a 1 hour flight.
Old Aug 17th 2012, 10:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by teuchterpete
I went on the Malaga to Barcelona AVE last year, it was brilliant, It did not go into Madrid at all, but it cost me a lot more than that (140euros). Most current journeys seem to be around the 140 for touristica. How do you find them for less than 100, certainly not on the RENFE web site.
Pete
Go to:-
https://venta.renfe.com/vol/index.do...oma=en&pais=UK

Put in a return journey dated a month or so in advance. I used 24/9 out 1/10 return.

You could of course buy the €258.10 each way business class
Old Aug 17th 2012, 10:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
Were there many other passengers? I only ask because 5 and a half hours is a long time for a journey. I know with a flight you have to factor in getting to the airport, check-in times and the rest, but even so I would still think many people going all that distance would prefer a 1 hour flight.
The flight is 1hr 40 mins by Ryan Don'tcare at about €75 for the same dates.

But as it would be a holiday what is wrong with admiring the countryside, stretching your legs and traveling in relative comfort?
Old Aug 17th 2012, 10:20 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fredbargate

But as it would be a holiday what is wrong with admiring the countryside, stretching your legs and traveling in relative comfort?
And with as much luggage as you like!
Old Aug 17th 2012, 10:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Fred James
Yes Fred the wife makes a good packhorse
Old Aug 17th 2012, 10:51 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
Good point. There are any number of small niggles that make flying (especially with the cheap flight operators) full of stress and anxiety. Will they charge £35 to print my ticket if I mislay it? Will they charge £5 per person per flight for "card charges" Will they stop me taking food/water onto plane so we have to buy their overpriced offerings? Etc etc. Of course the rail service is trying to adopt the flight method, so we'll probably see some of this rubbish creep in there.
Old Aug 17th 2012, 11:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
Good point. There are any number of small niggles that make flying (especially with the cheap flight operators) full of stress and anxiety. Will they charge £35 to print my ticket if I mislay it? Will they charge £5 per person per flight for "card charges" Will they stop me taking food/water onto plane so we have to buy their overpriced offerings? Etc etc. Of course the rail service is trying to adopt the flight method, so we'll probably see some of this rubbish creep in there.
if you're taking Sevilla to Barcelona for example there's a street down the side of the station where, if you're lucky you can find a free parking place. I've recently heard from a Spanish friend that if you book just after the tickets are released (I think that's 3 months in advance) the prices can be MUCH cheaper. It's so much nicer than taking a flight that if we can get it anywhere near the cost of a flight we'd always chose Ave over a flight.
Old Aug 18th 2012, 12:48 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

I understand that if you go Preferente from Malaga they give you 48hrs free parking at the train station.
Old Aug 19th 2012, 1:24 am
Not Banned (yet)

Someone has kindly filmed various sections of the Barcelona to Malaga journey. They claim it's the longest route of high speed rail in the world.

Old Aug 19th 2012, 7:52 am
BE Enthusiast

teuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
Go to:-
https://venta.renfe.com/vol/index.do...oma=en&pais=UK

Put in a return journey dated a month or so in advance. I used 24/9 out 1/10 return.

You could of course buy the €258.10 each way business class
Thanks Fred they are quite cheap for mid week journeys.
The one we used was from Puente genil - Herrera to Barrcelona: we actually missed it as the taxi turned up too late ( he forgot the booking) so Renfe transferred us ( 3 adults) onto the next days train for 100euros ( total) Next morning taxi driver turned up bright and early got us to station in plenty of time gave me 100euros and did not charge us for the journey!
Pete