Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Renewing passports?

Renewing passports?

Old Jul 26th 2006, 10:15 am
Just Joined

Clive C is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Renewing passports?

Hi, has anyone had their passport renewed over here in Spain since May 2006? I have to get a new one and I've heard there are problems regarding the photo's for the new system. A friend of mine has had to fly back to the UK to sort hers out, she's had to travel from Cadiz to the Embassy in Malaga to be issued with a 24 hour emergency pass to the UK where she will have to get her passport. If there is anyone who has renewed here since May can they tell me where they had their photo's done please. Thanks Clive.
Old Jul 26th 2006, 10:34 pm
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renewing passports?

Friends sent theirs off for renewal to Madrid about 6 weeks ago and the applications were rejected within a week because the photos were the wrong size which was their own fault for not measuring them!
They have since re-submitted the applications with new photos of the correct size (and an increase in fee in the meantime) and, fingers crossed, they haven't been rejected. Yet!
The photos were done at a regular photo studio offering a passport photo service.
Old Jul 27th 2006, 6:05 am
Forum Regular

Arco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond repute

I had my photos done in one of those booths in Bahia Sur, San Fernando. I thought they might be too pale for passport requirements, but they were accepted when I renewed in May in Madrid.

The form, which you can download on line, is very specific about the photo size required, presumably to accommodate the new biometric system.
Old Jul 27th 2006, 7:40 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Get plenty of face on the photo`s, if they are too far away they will reject them also.

Info here

Last edited by jdr; Jul 27th 2006 at 7:43 am.
Old Jul 27th 2006, 3:50 pm
Forum Regular

karunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jdr
Get plenty of face on the photo`s, if they are too far away they will reject them also.

Info here
thanks JDR - this is very useful to all expats, not just those on the Spanish forum!!! It pays to be nosy and to peek to see what's going on in the rest of Europe...
Old Jul 27th 2006, 4:25 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by karunia
thanks JDR - this is very useful to all expats, not just those on the Spanish forum!!! It pays to be nosy and to peek to see what's going on in the rest of Europe...
Nada Google is my friend
Old Jul 27th 2006, 7:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

who do you have to send them to in madrid, and how much is it ? wouldn´t it be alot cheaper to send them to the uk ?
Old Jul 27th 2006, 8:33 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by bfg69bug
who do you have to send them to in madrid, and how much is it ? wouldn´t it be alot cheaper to send them to the uk ?
The price has just gone up so unsure, you have to send it to Madrid, you can download application form, and info on how and where to send it from info here
Old Jul 28th 2006, 9:56 am
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
The price has just gone up so unsure, you have to send it to Madrid, you can download application form, and info on how and where to send it from info here

even if you are still a uk resident ?

and HOLY CRAP its 146€ !!!!!!!

Last edited by bfg69bug; Jul 28th 2006 at 10:00 am.
Old Jul 28th 2006, 1:14 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Yes it seems that rip off UK has finally come to Spain!
Old Jul 28th 2006, 1:24 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

2 years ago it was 80€
Old Jul 29th 2006, 12:47 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Fortunately I renewed last year, just before I moved over here, however it did cause me problems later. My new passport was got AFTER I had got my NIE number, and passport and NIE numbers are unchangable, so retain your old passport number and use it if you are giving both NIE number and Passport number on any form, or it will be rejected. Caused no end of delay with Telefonica, not that they really need any excuse.
Old Aug 1st 2006, 9:27 am
Sun, Sea & Sangria.

BritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud of

There are 4 options.

1. Fly back to the UK and sort everything out at the London Offices.
2. Post new photos, completed forms and old passport to someone in the UK who can then post them on to the passport office in the UK.
3. Complete the relevent forms, then send forms, photo's, old passport & bankers cheque or direct debit details for payment, to the British Embassy in Madrid.
4. Go to Madrid in person and sort it out in the British Embassy in Madrid.

I opted for option 4 - ended up as a mini break for me and the missus.

Note: You can no longer get a British passport renewed in Malaga or Gibraltar, it must be done through the British Embassy in Madrid.