Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Removal of Organs on death.

Removal of Organs on death.

Old Feb 24th 2007, 12:14 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Removal of Organs on death.

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
In the Uk there has been a lobby to introduce this also. In effect, instead of carrying a donor card, everyone will agree to donate their organs UNLESS they opt out. Thus allieviating the currnt organ shortage in certain areas.

Personally, I would rather it remain as it is in the UK as I don't agree with organs being removed without specific consent, although I appreciate that a lot of people who would donate just can't be @rsed to register.

If the way in Spain is that you donate unless you opt out, then the way in which you can opt out needs to be investigated.

Good thread, and thanks to JDR & admin for allowing it
I think it's a good idea, I would like to think that when I die some part of my body could be used to help someone else to live, or lead a better life.

As for consent, tricky this, but here is my personal experience of this...

When my sister died, aged 17, no-one asked my parents if they would like to donate any of her organs. My dad just fell to pieces, I've never known him that way before or since, so he didn't think of donating organs. Later he said he wished someone had asked them as he would have felt happier knowing that some of her organs had helped someone else.
Old Feb 24th 2007, 2:29 pm
Not Junior but not Senior

poollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Mercedes
Well I want to be cremated and then my service, non religious, to be out at sea amongst the dolphin on jetskis. My ashes can be put in a few fireworks and scattered whilst the mourners watch the firework display....do you reckon they will let me do that.
Oh Mercedes....Please post if you find out this is possible.....I love the idea of exploding in a shower of stars and my friends standing around with glasses of bubbly....what a terrific end.....
Old Feb 24th 2007, 2:44 pm
MnM
luna~sea..its a lifestyle

MnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond repute

Well I want to be cremated and then my service, non religious, to be out at sea amongst the dolphin on jetskis. My ashes can be put in a few fireworks and scattered whilst the mourners watch the firework display....do you reckon they will let me do that.
Mercedes,

I think that's a brilliant "way to go" although I do see some technical difficulties in getting the dolphins ON the jetskis *insert a li'l giggle here*....just kidding of course

All joking aside, I really do like your idea
Old Feb 24th 2007, 3:29 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

In the Uk there has been a lobby to introduce this also. In effect, instead of carrying a donor card, everyone will agree to donate their organs UNLESS they opt out. Thus allieviating the currnt organ shortage in certain areas.

Personally, I would rather it remain as it is in the UK as I don't agree with organs being removed without specific consent, although I appreciate that a lot of people who would donate just can't be @rsed to register.

If the way in Spain is that you donate unless you opt out, then the way in which you can opt out needs to be investigated.

Good thread, and thanks to JDR & admin for allowing it
I must say that I DO agree with the opting out idea. I worked in the NHS for over 40 years and came into contact with many people who desperately needed organ transplants, but were unlikely ever to do so because of the shortage of organs. It is very difficult to ask grieving relatives for permission to use their loved ones organs, and they may not agree, even if the person was carrying a donor card, just because of the situation and grief. As has been put in a different post, perhaps a few weeks down the line they may have started to wish they had agreed. I've also seen the results of lives changed totally by having a new kidney, liver heart etc, and have seen just what a difference it has made. The organs from one person can help up to 6 or 8 others live an active, normal life again.
Old Feb 24th 2007, 3:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

Well it's going to happen regardless of whether I'm supposed to or not. If my friends are still around, they will make sure it will happen.

Anyway, the mourners can have fun avoiding the guardia civil boats as they scatter in all directions, and at least they will remember me for years to come, especially if they spend a few days in jail...

Originally Posted by poollounger
Oh Mercedes....Please post if you find out this is possible.....I love the idea of exploding in a shower of stars and my friends standing around with glasses of bubbly....what a terrific end.....
Old Feb 24th 2007, 4:25 pm
Account Closed

Andy Pipken is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought you had to be warm still? I wouldn't think everyone's organs would be useful, especially the elderly.
DON'T HAVE A POP AT THE ELDERLY, THEY RIPPED MY HEAD OFF WHEN I SAID THEY SMELT OF WEE AND BISCUITS
Old Feb 24th 2007, 4:28 pm
Account Closed

I Think My "external Organ" Won't Be Of Any Use To Anyone As I Spend All Day Tugging At It, I Am Only 8 Years Old, I Dread To Think What State It Will Be In By The Time I Am 95 !!!
Old Feb 24th 2007, 4:30 pm
Account Closed

Default Re: JDR and death....

JDR...don't want to be contentious, and pulling a thread that is subject to legal wrangling is understandable. However if this forum if is about life in Spain and related issues, then death should surely be discussed as well. Personally I couldn't care less what happened to my organs after I snuff it, and I don't want to look too good in my coffin in case there are any necrophiliacs about. I do feel that people should be made aware if different procedures are in place in Spain that may be contrary to accepted practice in Britain. I am all for being buried in the garden, as is permitted in Britain, but wonder how this will affect the pozo negro and the well water ??
YOU MENTION NECROPHILIACS......YOUR REAL NAME IS NOT DENNIS NEILSEN IS IT
Old Feb 24th 2007, 4:38 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Andy Pipken
I Think My "external Organ" Won't Be Of Any Use To Anyone As I Spend All Day Tugging At It, I Am Only 8 Years Old, I Dread To Think What State It Will Be In By The Time I Am 95 !!!

I don't think your eyes will be much good to anyone either
Old Feb 25th 2007, 11:16 am

crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by mikelincs
I must say that I DO agree with the opting out idea. I worked in the NHS for over 40 years and came into contact with many people who desperately needed organ transplants, but were unlikely ever to do so because of the shortage of organs. It is very difficult to ask grieving relatives for permission to use their loved ones organs, and they may not agree, even if the person was carrying a donor card, just because of the situation and grief. As has been put in a different post, perhaps a few weeks down the line they may have started to wish they had agreed. I've also seen the results of lives changed totally by having a new kidney, liver heart etc, and have seen just what a difference it has made. The organs from one person can help up to 6 or 8 others live an active, normal life again.

You are so right Mike, I came in contact everyday with children that needed kidney transplants, it was heart wrenching to see these little mites strapped into their pushchairs, so weak even unable to lift their heads up. Then the absolute joy of them coming into the lab to bring there daily bloods in and seeing them day by day getting stronger and the day you get that first smile from them stays with you for ever. I also had much first hand contact with adults that were waiting or had received their new organs and the thanks and gratitude that they had for the donor and the kindnest shown by the families who agreed was beyond compare. I think my self so very lucky to have known these people and their families and not only myself but my family have become very aware for the need of organ donation.
Old Feb 25th 2007, 5:41 pm
Not Junior but not Senior

poollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to behold

Does anyone know if as a tourist in Spain,if I were to drop dead or have a fatal accident, would the same policy of organ removal apply to me ? Should one early (ish) death take place I would be delighted if someone else benefited from my misfortune. Carrying an organ donor card in Britain is something many of us consider doing, but often never get around to. I have also heard people say that they would not donate as they felt that if they were a donor then attempts to keep them alive in any condition might not be as enthusiastic. If we moved to the Spanish system then this could allay the fears of those who may feel this way.
Old Feb 25th 2007, 8:52 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone know if as a tourist in Spain,if I were to drop dead or have a fatal accident, would the same policy of organ removal apply to me ? Should one early (ish) death take place I would be delighted if someone else benefited from my misfortune. Carrying an organ donor card in Britain is something many of us consider doing, but often never get around to. I have also heard people say that they would not donate as they felt that if they were a donor then attempts to keep them alive in any condition might not be as enthusiastic. If we moved to the Spanish system then this could allay the fears of those who may feel this way.
A potential donor has to be certified dead by at least two Drs in the UK, and they are kept alive by breathing machines until the organs are 'harvested' so attempts to keep the person alive are even more enthusiastic. I think that idea is a bit of a red herring thrown up by the anti brigade. You do have to be alive when you reach hospital to be an organ donor, except, I believe, for corneas.
Old Feb 25th 2007, 8:59 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
A potential donor has to be certified dead by at least two Drs in the UK, and they are kept alive by breathing machines until the organs are 'harvested' so attempts to keep the person alive are even more enthusiastic. I think that idea is a bit of a red herring thrown up by the anti brigade. You do have to be alive when you reach hospital to be an organ donor, except, I believe, for corneas.

Yes if you died and it took an hour or so for you to get to hospital then there would have already been organ deterioration I guess
Old Feb 25th 2007, 9:06 pm
Account Closed

cherie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jdr
I closed a thread recently mainly because of the context of the questions and thought it more personal between the OP and the coroners office than an open forum, although possibly what had happened was a good subject to discuss.
I have spoken with admin and they agree it is ok to start a new thread on the subject as it seems a lot of people would like to discuss the implecations of a death in Spain and the removal of organs.

Now bearing in mind that there is legislation in Spain that unless you opt out, organs will be removed.
Pray tell the legislation jdr?????
Old Feb 25th 2007, 9:09 pm
Account Closed

cherie is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes if you died and it took an hour or so for you to get to hospital then there would have already been organ deterioration I guess
what happens if you die in a hospital???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.