Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Remote working in Ayamonte

Remote working in Ayamonte

Old Aug 28th 2022, 7:13 am
Just Joined

ABLSAB123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Remote working in Ayamonte

Hello, I’m looking to remote work for 2 weeks next year in Ayamonte (Costa Esuri).

The rental doesn’t have internet so I’m trying to figure out is it possible to get temporary portable wifi to work off my laptop, which would include MS Teams calls/video calls?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks!
Old Aug 28th 2022, 6:03 pm
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Remote working in Ayamonte

Originally Posted by ABLSAB123
Hello, I’m looking to remote work for 2 weeks next year in Ayamonte (Costa Esuri).

The rental doesn’t have internet so I’m trying to figure out is it possible to get temporary portable wifi to work off my laptop, which would include MS Teams calls/video calls?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks!
Lots of discussion here. Mobile internet may be the solution.... Or buy extra GB's on your mobile phone contract and make your phone a hotspot, and roam...
Costa Esuri Internet (PRIINET) options

Good luck
Jon
Old Aug 29th 2022, 12:50 am
Just Joined

Thanks so much for directing me to that thread Jon!

I scanned through it just there, and perhaps Meo might be the best bet.

As a non tech person, can I ask - is this a SIM card you put into your phone and then can hotspot and use your laptop, or is it a dongle they give you?

Many thanks for your guidance!
Old Aug 29th 2022, 7:31 am
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

If you want you can buy your own travel router like this one to stick a SIM in:

TP-Link AC750 Dual Band Wi-Fi Travel Router

Useful if the provider doesn't offer their own router or it does but there are strings attached (e.g. more expensive tariff or minimum contract period).

Last edited by DLC; Aug 29th 2022 at 7:34 am.
Old Aug 29th 2022, 7:45 am
Forum Regular

maverik has a reputation beyond reputemaverik has a reputation beyond reputemaverik has a reputation beyond reputemaverik has a reputation beyond reputemaverik has a reputation beyond reputemaverik has a reputation beyond reputemaverik has a reputation beyond reputemaverik has a reputation beyond reputemaverik has a reputation beyond reputemaverik has a reputation beyond reputemaverik has a reputation beyond repute

First , make sure what kind of signal is available where you plan to live. MEO is portuguese and I am not sure it will work everywhere. It does in CE but I do not know if its works in Punta del Moral or in the inner city of Ayamonte. MEO has its own dongle. which you buy in the MEO store in Villa Real
Old Aug 29th 2022, 6:00 pm
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABLSAB123
Thanks so much for directing me to that thread Jon!

I scanned through it just there, and perhaps Meo might be the best bet.

As a non tech person, can I ask - is this a SIM card you put into your phone and then can hotspot and use your laptop, or is it a dongle they give you?

Many thanks for your guidance!
MEO is a free SIM card, you can put it in your phone and make a hotspot, or a router to create a 'MIFI' network so other family/friends can use it. Other companies also offer this. And as Maverik says the signal can vary. He has a small portable router about the size of a small pack of cigarettes, that you put the SIM into. Also available from the MEO shop in Vila Real....

Though if its a one off, and you just need it for a couple of weeks maybe roaming could work for you, with a pre-load of additional GB's on your existing mobile contract? (Depending on your needs).

Good luck
Jon

Old Aug 29th 2022, 8:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

guesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond repute

I am on Esuri in Las Encinas Probably he furthest you can get from Portugal My mobile is on Vodafone UK, Most of the time it connects to Vodafone Pt not ES

I know people here who cannot get Fibre and they use Dongle internet from Meo or Vodafone Pt in order to watch TV
Old Sep 1st 2022, 10:22 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by maverik
First , make sure what kind of signal is available where you plan to live. MEO is portuguese and I am not sure it will work everywhere. It does in CE but I do not know if its works in Punta del Moral or in the inner city of Ayamonte. MEO has its own dongle. which you buy in the MEO store in Villa Real
Thanks maverik - I will be working from CE so should be good - TY
Old Sep 1st 2022, 10:24 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl
MEO is a free SIM card, you can put it in your phone and make a hotspot, or a router to create a 'MIFI' network so other family/friends can use it. Other companies also offer this. And as Maverik says the signal can vary. He has a small portable router about the size of a small pack of cigarettes, that you put the SIM into. Also available from the MEO shop in Vila Real....

Though if its a one off, and you just need it for a couple of weeks maybe roaming could work for you, with a pre-load of additional GB's on your existing mobile contract? (Depending on your needs).

Good luck
Jon
Thanks for the information Jon!
Old Sep 1st 2022, 10:25 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by guesswork
I am on Esuri in Las Encinas Probably he furthest you can get from Portugal My mobile is on Vodafone UK, Most of the time it connects to Vodafone Pt not ES

I know people here who cannot get Fibre and they use Dongle internet from Meo or Vodafone Pt in order to watch TV
Thanks guesswork - good to know