Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Remembrance Day - Poppies

Remembrance Day - Poppies

Old Nov 2nd 2012, 5:40 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute
Default Remembrance Day - Poppies

The Royal British Legion are aiming to raise £42 million this year, 2012, to carry out their vital work. All money raised will go towards providing much needed support for the Armed Forces and their families, so we're urging everyone to get involved and raise as much as they can for the 2012 Poppy Appeal.

For anyone out there who cannot get a poppy but wants to make an online donation for this year 2012, for further information please go to
http://www.poppy.org.uk/

http://www.britishlegion.org.uk/support-us/shop-online

or to

http://www.britishlegion.org.uk/support-us/how-to-give

There are also a number of Poppy products available from
http://www.poppyshop.org.uk/

We Will Remember Them
Old Nov 2nd 2012, 5:45 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Remembrance Day - Poppies

Originally Posted by Domino
The Royal British Legion are aiming to raise £42 million this year, 2012, to carry out their vital work. All money raised will go towards providing much needed support for the Armed Forces and their families, so we're urging everyone to get involved and raise as much as they can for the 2012 Poppy Appeal.

For anyone out there who cannot get a poppy but wants to make an online donation for this year 2012, for further information please go to
http://www.poppy.org.uk/

http://www.britishlegion.org.uk/support-us/shop-online

or to

http://www.britishlegion.org.uk/support-us/how-to-give

There are also a number of Poppy products available from
http://www.poppyshop.org.uk/

We Will Remember Them
Good post and reminder Dom.
I've seen a couple of sellers already in my part of London and will be wearing my poppy. Plenty of times I may disagree with the government's choice to go to war (and I wish that ex-servicemen at times were better taken care of), but we all owe the brave servicemen and women a hell of a lot.
Remembrance Day is a week on Sunday I believe?
Old Nov 2nd 2012, 5:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

In Gibraltar charities are only allowed to collect on the street for one day in the year.

However poppies have been on sale in some businesses for a few days now.

I sit here wearing one
Old Nov 2nd 2012, 5:55 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

When we had the bar I used to get poppies from the Cadiz province RBL organiser in Chiclana. He hasn't contacted me this year - I hope he's OK. The Spanish girls would buy them to put in their hair. No poppies in our village this year.
Old Nov 3rd 2012, 1:11 am
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone wanting to buy a poppy will usually find them on sale at Cudeca shops and also at Iceland.
Old Nov 3rd 2012, 4:49 am
Forum Regular

sujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of light

Poppies are on sale at Buyrite on El Rodeo in Coin.
Old Nov 3rd 2012, 10:17 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

mostly seem to be the more highly populated areas on the coast
Old Nov 4th 2012, 8:27 am
BE Enthusiast

teuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond repute

Some years ago my mother lived in sheltered housing provided by the royal british legion. At that time my young son was being treated for leukaemia. I was planning a sponsored walk in aid of the LRF. Being a good soul she went around the other residents asking for sponsorship. The royal british legion got to know of this and wrote to her in a very curt letter, giving her 3 options
1) Give all the sponsorship money to the royal british legion
2) Give it all back to the individual residents
3) Give up the accommodation.
In the end she gave it all back. I still buy a poppy but it somehow takes some of the pride away from the excellent work, and of course sometimes the ultimate sacrifice, that our brave servicemen and women make for our country, through the intransigence of its officials.
I might add that it was a condition of residence that residents can only donate to the royal british legion and no other charity.
Old Nov 4th 2012, 9:27 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

When I buy a Poppy I don't think about the ethics of charities and what they do with the money. I buy to remember all those who died in wars starting with the rotting trenches of the WW1 to present day. Similar when buying a wrist band for Help for Heroes it's a token of acknowledgment of the many who are left without limbs etc.
Old Nov 4th 2012, 10:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by teuchterpete
Some years ago my mother lived in sheltered housing provided by the royal british legion. At that time my young son was being treated for leukaemia. I was planning a sponsored walk in aid of the LRF. Being a good soul she went around the other residents asking for sponsorship. The royal british legion got to know of this and wrote to her in a very curt letter, giving her 3 options
1) Give all the sponsorship money to the royal british legion
2) Give it all back to the individual residents
3) Give up the accommodation.
In the end she gave it all back. I still buy a poppy but it somehow takes some of the pride away from the excellent work, and of course sometimes the ultimate sacrifice, that our brave servicemen and women make for our country, through the intransigence of its officials.
I might add that it was a condition of residence that residents can only donate to the royal british legion and no other charity.
That is OUTRAGEOUS!

I will carry on wearing my virtual poppy in memory of the fallen, in all wars and on all sides, but that story has left a nasty taste in my mouth.
Old Nov 4th 2012, 11:46 am
BE Enthusiast

The Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond repute

Granddad didn't wear his poppy;
On that day so long ago
When he carried his gun,
On the run, into the hated foe,
For the symbol wasn't there that day,
He laid down his life, he was made to pay..
He had no say.
So if you want to wear the blood,
That millions of men spilt in the mud
And show remorse and remembrance to
The fallen and the chosen few
Just wander through the fields of France
And if but so you see by chance
Glorious and standing tall,
A fallen soul, who seems so small
Just pick it up and wear with pride
And remember those who lay down and died...

Old Nov 4th 2012, 1:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Beast
Granddad didn't wear his poppy;
On that day so long ago
When he carried his gun,
On the run, into the hated foe,
For the symbol wasn't there that day,
He laid down his life, he was made to pay..
He had no say.
So if you want to wear the blood,
That millions of men spilt in the mud
And show remorse and remembrance to
The fallen and the chosen few
Just wander through the fields of France
And if but so you see by chance
Glorious and standing tall,
A fallen soul, who seems so small
Just pick it up and wear with pride
And remember those who lay down and died...

That's beautiful, did you write it yourself? Maybe poetry is the only good thing to come out of war.

You probably have heard Eric Bogle's song "No Mans Land", also known as Willie McBride.

The sun's shining down on these green fields of France;
The warm wind blows gently, and the red poppies dance.
The trenches have vanished long under the plough;
No gas and no barbed wire, no guns firing now.
But here in this graveyard it's still No Man's Land
The countless white crosses in mute witness stand
To man's blind indifference to his fellow man.
And a whole generation who were butchered and damned.
Old Nov 4th 2012, 1:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you Pocaloca!... Just my humble doggerel in honour of those who paid the ultimate...

The one glaring fact that can be found in the dissection of war....Is that sadly,there will always be another.

''Well the suffering, and the sorrow, the glory of pain
The killing and dying they were all done in vain
For young Willy McBride it's all happened again,
And again, and again, and again, and again...''

Last edited by The Beast; Nov 4th 2012 at 1:58 pm.
Old Nov 4th 2012, 3:11 pm

having served for a number of years, seen people die, I am prepared to sit back and not argue the anti feeling some people profess, confident that the counter of those who are watching and reading this thread is rising exponentially compared with those who make adverse comment.

that we are still sending men and women to die in foreign fields today, killed in many cases by "friends" as well as "foe" is something that should be considered.

I trust that one day in the not too distant future there is no need to send men and women to fight for the right to freedom from fear and oppression. Regrettably I don't think it will come in my lifetime nor that of my grand-children.

In the meantime we should do all we can for those who are left behind by those who have left us as well as those return and also require our help.

Thanks
Old Nov 4th 2012, 3:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=775765

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.