Relocating to Spain

Relocating to Spain

Old Jul 10th 2013, 12:51 am
Just Joined

NatRich is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Relocating to Spain

Hi all,

So here's our story...

I've just been offered a job in Seville working at the airport. I intend on going over for a couple of months to sort things out on my own and then bring over my wife and kids. We are currently living in Canada but are from the UK and have been here for 4 1/2 years.
Looking for any help and advice others my have to make our move a smooth one.
Reading through the forum there seems to be a difference of opinion as to how to get things sorted.
We are basically looking for the following to start with....
how to apply for residency cards and health cards
what is the process for schools...we have a 14, 9 and 7 year old's that will need to attend school and none of them speak Spanish....will this be a major problem ?
Sure we have more to ask but any info is much appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Old Jul 10th 2013, 5:10 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Relocating to Spain

Originally Posted by NatRich
Hi all,

So here's our story...

I've just been offered a job in Seville working at the airport. I intend on going over for a couple of months to sort things out on my own and then bring over my wife and kids. We are currently living in Canada but are from the UK and have been here for 4 1/2 years.
Reading through the forum there seems to be a difference of opinion as to how to get things sorted.
what is the process for schools...we have a 14, 9 and 7 year old's that will need to attend school and none of them speak Spanish....will this be a major problem ?
Thanks in advance
Hi

well you have the most important thing sorted - a job

you will need to register as resident when you arrive - you have a work contract so that covers the income & healthcare aspect - it's just a formality really & your employer might/should help you

once the family arrives, they all have to register too - first get them all added to your social security as your dependants (they'll need NIE numbers for that ) - & presumably your income will be sufficient for the income requirements for the family

school..... the 7 year old & probably the 9 year old would be fine in Spanish school - my eldest was nearly 9 when she started & has thrived, but for some children that age it's just too much

the 14 year old will for sure struggle, & if s/he was my child I would put them in an International School where they teach in English - there's little to no chance of them learning Spanish quickly or well enough to be able to cope with studying in Spanish - heck, the subject matter is hard enough in your native language at that age, let alone having to do it in a foreign language!!
Old Jul 10th 2013, 6:17 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NatRich
Hi all,

So here's our story...

Thanks in advance
As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Jul 10th 2013, 6:28 am
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute

Good morning and welcome. Is it by any chance with Airbus ? if so I believe they used to do all your required elements. Have you asked them ? they had a list of schools in the area, doctors, NIE housing contacts etc etc

Tomares is good area for easy access to the right side of town and had lots of shops bars and access to schools. It is on a good bus route also and has lots to do for the children I believe.
Old Jul 10th 2013, 6:53 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Wow! A job!

Stevie should be around shortly to congratulate you on lowering the unemployment rate.

Welcome in advance.
Old Jul 10th 2013, 8:10 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas
Wow! A job!

Stevie should be around shortly to congratulate you on lowering the unemployment rate.

Welcome in advance.

But he's not because he's coming to Spain from abroad!

To the OP - well done in getting a job in Spain.
Old Jul 10th 2013, 8:18 am
Forum Regular

caroline c has a brilliant futurecaroline c has a brilliant futurecaroline c has a brilliant futurecaroline c has a brilliant futurecaroline c has a brilliant futurecaroline c has a brilliant future

Hi NatRich, please do not be put off by negative comments regarding children moving to Spain. Yes it will be difficult for all of your children but it can be done, it depends on your children if they dont work hard they will fail if on the other hand they work as hard as they can they will succeed. Our story we have three daughters came to live in Spain nine and a half years ago. Our girls were 7, 14 and 18. The 18 year old had A level Spanish and six years ago went to live in Madrid, she now works for an international company and is marrying a Spanish man. Our 7 year old stayed on at school and wants to go to university she doesn´t really remember the UK and is more Spanish than English. Our 14 year old worked very hard at school and during her holdidays. When she met her Spanish partners parents when she was 19 they did not believe she was English they thought she was Spanish. She now runs her own business employing two Spanish staff and also works for a nursery school teaching English and is also studying to gain more qualifications. Both my 7 and 14 year old went to Spanish state school. It can be done so don´t be put off. None of my girls want to go back to the Uk as they all call Spain home now. Good luck.