Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Relocating to the Moraira area from Costa Blanca South

Relocating to the Moraira area from Costa Blanca South

Old Feb 11th 2012, 8:46 pm
Just Joined

hayley1109 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Relocating to the Moraira area from Costa Blanca South

Hi. I currently live on the Costa Blanca (South) with my husband and 3 young children. We are looking to relocate to the Moraira region.(or surrounding area) Can anyone provide me with some useful information about the best areas to look into, possible business oppertunities, local school etc. We have alwasy lived on the coast, and this is still very high up in my priorities.
All my children were born here, and we have lived in Spain for just over 12 years, so we understand how difficult it is, in this current economic climate.
We have always been self employed, but am in the process of selling my property management business, so we will be looking for any interesting oppertunities.
A lot of questions! Hope someone can help.

Many thanks and Kind Regards
Old Feb 11th 2012, 9:29 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Relocating to the Moraira area from Costa Blanca South

As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Feb 14th 2012, 3:09 pm
Just Joined

Casslar has a brilliant futureCasslar has a brilliant futureCasslar has a brilliant futureCasslar has a brilliant futureCasslar has a brilliant futureCasslar has a brilliant future

Hi Hayley,

Moraira is administratively Moraira-Teulada - Teulada is the 'proper' town, 10 minutes inland, and Moraira seems to have relatively little going on beyond being a resort - lovely beaches and restaurants etc but in terms of jobs, businesses and infrastructure you might have to look inland a bit. Of course you can live on the coast and focus business activities inland... or you could look at somewhere that is more of a 'real' town on coast itself, like Calpe or Javea. Sorry if you've set your heart on Moraira and that's not what you want to hear/read! I am not sure if there is even a school in Moraira (I am sure others can correct me if I'm wrong).

Good luck with the move and researching it all etc. I found this forum quite recently, haven't been active on many forums for a while, and this place is clearly a treasure trove of informative and helpful people from all over!
Old Feb 14th 2012, 9:39 pm
Just Joined

therustynail is an unknown quantity at this point

Polop (next to La Nucia) is a lovely little quiet village where you could rent an 3 bed apartment for about €400 per month. I also learned through twitter the other day that one of the village cafe bars is up for sale. All the best.
Old Feb 14th 2012, 10:29 pm
Forum Regular

Nigeljay has a spectacular aura aboutNigeljay has a spectacular aura aboutNigeljay has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Casslar
Hi Hayley,

Moraira is administratively Moraira-Teulada - Teulada is the 'proper' town, 10 minutes inland, and Moraira seems to have relatively little going on beyond being a resort - lovely beaches and restaurants etc but in terms of jobs, businesses and infrastructure you might have to look inland a bit. Of course you can live on the coast and focus business activities inland... or you could look at somewhere that is more of a 'real' town on coast itself, like Calpe or Javea. Sorry if you've set your heart on Moraira and that's not what you want to hear/read! I am not sure if there is even a school in Moraira (I am sure others can correct me if I'm wrong).

Good luck with the move and researching it all etc. I found this forum quite recently, haven't been active on many forums for a while, and this place is clearly a treasure trove of informative and helpful people from all over!
There is definitely a school in Moraira, I've walked past it on many occasions. It is just up the road from the garage in the centre. I can't comment on how good or bad it is as all our children are past school age.
Old Feb 15th 2012, 6:01 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Having lived to the south of Alicante for 12 years you would know it pretty well. To the the north, Calpe, Moraira, Javea and Denia are generally much prettier, though less accessible.

I made the move the other way round, for commercial reasons, certainly not for prettiness, and it worked.

I have to say that Moraira is a nice place to live, but doesn't seem to have much in the way of business opportunities. It comes under Teulada, which is more Spanish and has better transport facilities.

I don't know about schools.
Old Feb 15th 2012, 3:06 pm
Forum Regular

Splatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud of

Hi Hayley,
Good luck with the move!
The school in Moraira is called the Cap D'Or and caters for infants and juniors, from there the kids move up to the school in Teulada. The school is also in the Valenciana stream. My daughter is there and I can honestly say that it seems like a good, modern school. Although the Valenciana can be a pain.
There are also a few private schools, Lady Elizabeth and XIC in Javea.

Expats have been steadily draining from the area over the past few years and work and business opportunities are scarce. I have been in business here for the last three years and have managed to pay my way, but in that time I have seen a surprising amount come and go.
If you are good at what you do and can adapt though, I don't see why you shouldn't be able to make a go of it.

The population is quite cosmopolitan, English, Dutch, German, French and occasionally Spanish.

To me it feels like a very safe and friendly town, the town hall seem very good too and the streets are always clean. Cleaner than anywhere else I've been in Spain, in fact.

The Summer, obviously, gets manic and the Winters can get a little depressing after the novelty of getting your town back from the tourists wears off. This Winter has seemed to be the worst yet, I'm sure that isn't just confined to Moraira though.

Feel free to get in touch if you have any other questions!

Steve.