Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Relocating to Alicante

Relocating to Alicante

Old Apr 4th 2013, 6:43 am
Forum Regular

JB80 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Relocating to Alicante

Thanks for the replies, we have contacted a couple of agents and they seem helpful enough for the time being so that's a start but when we get there for a visit will probably look see what else is around on the ground.

We don't really want to be in the city itself and are looking more for a detached villa with a nice yard at first, with the kids I don't think we could handle an apartment or flat again. Hopefully we can try and sound out the rougher areas too, currently we are thinking a bit north of the city, El Campello, Sant Joan, Mutxamel although that may all change.
Old Apr 4th 2013, 7:49 am
IDC
Just Joined

IDC is an unknown quantity at this point

We have friends who chose San Vicente and they find that San Vicente is very handy for working in Alicante.
Old Apr 4th 2013, 8:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Saxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to behold

We are 10 mins. inland from El Campello, at Bonalba Golf. In fact we are 10 mins. from just about everything we need, 5 main supermarkets, hospital, doctor and most important, the sea. El Campello has the Lemon Express tram running into Alicante every 30 mins, which is very handy, even for us (park the car, jump on the tram, Alicante in 20 mins.).
Old Apr 4th 2013, 11:35 am
Forum Regular

The tram line is one of the reasons we are looking in that area, it's not essential but it could be very handy at the same time.

What about public buses, are they any good for getting around the city and surrounds to places like Elche or Sax?
Old Apr 4th 2013, 12:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Saxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by JB80
The tram line is one of the reasons we are looking in that area, it's not essential but it could be very handy at the same time.

What about public buses, are they any good for getting around the city and surrounds to places like Elche or Sax?
I'm afraid I can't answer that, we don't use them, but I'm told that our local service Busot to Alicante is reliable.
Old Apr 4th 2013, 12:54 pm
Forum Regular

That's alright, I only mentioned those two towns as an example but we have seen a few places in Busot too.
We will have our car as well but just trying to consider if there is good public transport for work, school etc.
Old Apr 4th 2013, 3:42 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Busot is a very pleasant little town, with a larger urbanisation attached. There is a school and a few basic amenities there. There are bus stops on the CV773, but you would be better with a car. It feels isolated, but for many that is part of it's charm.

Ceuvas del Canelobre is worth a visit.

Last edited by missile; Apr 4th 2013 at 3:46 pm.
Old Apr 9th 2013, 12:52 pm
Just Joined

Ricardodaforce is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by HBG
Alicante City has very few expats .....
Actually that's not correct. Because OAMI is in Alicante there is a huge number of EU ex-pats and their families in Alicante. Many of these don't even bother getting an NIE but their almost "diplomatic" status gets them through their 3 or 5 year term sin problemas.
Old Jun 20th 2013, 7:15 am
Forum Regular

Sorry to bump this but the move is just about on us so we are in the swing of packing and stressing and all that goes with it.

Anyway I was wondering if anybody can recommend a good pediatrician for our kids who are 4 & 2 in Alicante or the surrounds, it would be preferable to have the Dr be able to speak English to understand the kids but not essential if they are good.
Old Jun 20th 2013, 10:51 am
Forum Regular

While I'm at it can anybody recommend a reputable Sat TV dish installer for around the Alicante/ Mutxamel are?
Old Jun 20th 2013, 11:04 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to bump this but the move is just about on us so we are in the swing of packing and stressing and all that goes with it.

Anyway I was wondering if anybody can recommend a good pediatrician for our kids who are 4 & 2 in Alicante or the surrounds, it would be preferable to have the Dr be able to speak English to understand the kids but not essential if they are good.
Do you mean a private doctor?
Old Jun 20th 2013, 11:22 am
Forum Regular

I guess Private would be OK, I was thinking either Private or state.
Old Jun 20th 2013, 11:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

I guess Private would be OK, I was thinking either Private or state.
If it is state then you have no choice on who you see, and what language skills they have.

Of course, you can only use the state service if you are paying social security payments, otherwise you must go private and have private health insurance
Old Jun 20th 2013, 12:01 pm
Forum Regular

I was under the impression our health insurance covered both, I'm probably wrong I'll have to check with the wife on that.
It certainly covers private at the least so I guess that is what I'm after, a good Private pediatrician in the Alicante region, I don't want to faff about when it comes to the kids health.

I've never been restricted on which doctor you want to see before wherever I've lived so that concept seems odd to me.
Not complaining it's just different is all.
Old Jun 20th 2013, 3:13 pm
Forum Regular

I double checked and we will be paying into the SS scheme and have private health insurance as well.

Still I'm open to any recommendations.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.