relocating

Old Mar 15th 2013, 2:04 pm
Just Joined

suedawson is an unknown quantity at this point
Question relocating

am a complete newbie on here .... hoping to move to Torrox area,
any views on area, meeting people... or is this just a very silly idea
bearing in mind the economic position in Spain? Also any advice appreciated re spending summer in UK and rest of year in Spain
Old Mar 15th 2013, 2:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

billgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: relocating

There's a really friendly dive shop in Torrox Costa.
Old Mar 15th 2013, 3:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sue

If you have enough to live on, without having to look for work, spending part of the year in Southern Spain is a great idea. You wont have any problem meeting other English-speakers in the Torrox area.

But it can be surprisingly cold and wet here in winter. The best times are spring and autumn.

Given that you are now supposed to become resident if you spend more than 90 days in Spain, with all the bureaucracy and hassle that involves, you might want to consider just coming over in April-June and September-November?
Old Mar 15th 2013, 4:03 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by suedawson
bearing in mind the economic position in Spain? Also any advice appreciated re spending summer in UK and rest of year in Spain
As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Mar 16th 2013, 12:30 pm
Just Joined

Janeym8 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there
We are planning on moving to Torrox hopefully this year .we are just about to put our house on the market in the next few weeks

Jane
Old Mar 16th 2013, 2:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by billgates
There's a really friendly dive shop in Torrox Costa.
Bit far from me as we are self sufficient but where do they go? might have a trip with them. Know there is one in Nerja of course.

Last edited by pwwm; Mar 16th 2013 at 2:47 pm.
Old Mar 16th 2013, 3:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pwwm
Bit far from me as we are self sufficient but where do they go? might have a trip with them. Know there is one in Nerja of course.
Gibraltar ?
Old Mar 16th 2013, 3:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pwwm
Some info here on dive sites,"in and around Almuñécar & La Herradura"
http://www.totallysortedsports.co.uk...Dive_sites.htm
http://www.totallysortedsports.co.uk...ing_Breaks.htm

Last edited by agoreira; Mar 16th 2013 at 3:12 pm.
Old Mar 17th 2013, 7:15 pm
Forum Regular

alilever is an unknown quantity at this point

I have also recently joined the forum as we are thinking of buying a property initially for holidays, but in future we intend to spend several months in Spain. Interested in the suggestion that's been made re spending April - June and September - November abroad. We've been advised to keep out of Spain in the very busy and very hot summer months. I don't think it's a silly idea at all if you don't have to work and are not expecting to make money from the property. I am doing lots of research trying to decide where the best place to buy might be. We are visiting in October and so far thinking of La Herradura or Almunecar, but still considering Torre del Mar, Torrox and Nerja.
Old Mar 18th 2013, 9:02 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

to all the Newbies

There are so many places to choose from, you really have to do something more than throw a dart at a map.
What is excellent for one person is a serious problem for another.
You need to visit, stay a few days to see what it is really like, not just the overnight "isn't it wonderful but I missed half of it" feelings, but see what time people get up, how much noise they make, what time they go to bed (NEVER EVER get a place too near a bar )

You really need to spend time feeling your way around, decide if it is for you, not just jump in and find you are a square peg in a round hole.
Do you need to be near an airport like Malaga or can you get by with the summertime only for Almeria, do you have transport or need it?
Whilst living in the middle of nowhere because you want isolation, will you still be happy with the 5-10km dirt track across someone else's land before you even get to a road 20km from the nearest town to buy a carton on milk ??
If bringing children with you that need schooling - do you realise the additional commitment of getting them to that road to get the bus at 0630 and picking up again in the afternoon ?

If you just want a flat in the middle of town, have no commitments then fine, but some of the foregoing still stands - especially about the bar!!

Good luck to you, there is plenty of info on here about all aspects of life in Spain.

kind regards
`
Old Mar 18th 2013, 1:59 pm
Just Joined

Thank you all for your replies. I will be visiting Torrox in next few weeks so i can a proper feel for the area... its just me moving..i have M E..looking for some sun, beautiful scenery and hopefully to make some good friends
However, I do have a concern about 90 day residency requirement..does anyone have any advice please.

Thank you all,
Sue
Old Mar 18th 2013, 2:05 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you all for your replies. I will be visiting Torrox in next few weeks so i can a proper feel for the area... its just me moving..i have M E..looking for some sun, beautiful scenery and hopefully to make some good friends
However, I do have a concern about 90 day residency requirement..does anyone have any advice please.

Thank you all,
Sue
in what way are you concerned?

you register at/before 90 days & have to show funds/income & healthcare provision in order to do so
Old Mar 18th 2013, 2:46 pm
Just Joined

Hi,

So if I was to show evidence of savings which I would be living on, so no income as such, plus healthcare provision this would be sufficient?

Thank you for your help
Old Mar 18th 2013, 3:39 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

So if I was to show evidence of savings which I would be living on, so no income as such, plus healthcare provision this would be sufficient?

Thank you for your help
Yep - if you have the savings here in Spain! They need to see it in a Spanish bank, same for income - they must see it coming into a Spanish bank.
Old Mar 18th 2013, 3:53 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alilever
I have also recently joined the forum as we are thinking of buying a property initially for holidays, but in future we intend to spend several months in Spain. Interested in the suggestion that's been made re spending April - June and September - November abroad. We've been advised to keep out of Spain in the very busy and very hot summer months. I don't think it's a silly idea at all if you don't have to work and are not expecting to make money from the property. I am doing lots of research trying to decide where the best place to buy might be. We are visiting in October and so far thinking of La Herradura or Almunecar, but still considering Torre del Mar, Torrox and Nerja.
Don't forget that as a non resident you will be taxed on your property with the non residents tax, which is over and above any other local taxes you will have to pay.