Relocate

Old May 13th 2018, 11:15 am
Just Joined

Norbvan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Relocate

Hi Everyone I am a new member looking for advice from experienced people living in Spain.

My husband an I are retiring early and looking to move to Spain April 2020 we want to rent an apartment is renting allowed for 12 months of the year?

any recommendations of areas, we would like to be in walking distance of the beach and not too far from an airport

Not isolated would like to be near other expats.

is it straight forward to relocate to Spain..

I am quite scared of moving so any advice would be fantastic we are in out 50s so the move will be permeant

Any recommendations of an estate agent for rentals

Thanks in advance 😬
Old May 13th 2018, 11:30 am
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Relocate

Originally Posted by Norbvan
Hi Everyone I am a new member looking for advice from experienced people living in Spain.

My husband an I are retiring early and looking to move to Spain April 2020 we want to rent an apartment is renting allowed for 12 months of the year?

any recommendations of areas, we would like to be in walking distance of the beach and not too far from an airport

I am quite scared of moving so any advice would be fantastic we are in out 50s so the move will be permeant

Thanks in advance 😬
Hi,

There will no doubt be numerous recommendations as to where good places are to live but in the end it will be left to you to decide. You can rent apartments/villas for 12 months if you want (or longer if required)

We found it quite straight forward relocating to Spain. You will need to find out what is required as to healthcare and incomes. To live in Spain (under pensionable age) you both will need private healthcare and a regular income as required by the area you want to live.

Steve
Old May 13th 2018, 11:39 am
Just Joined

Thank You � ����
Old May 13th 2018, 11:40 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks in advance 😬
The one thing to remember is that by then the UK SHOULD have left the EU, so moving there MAY be somewhat different to now where you just drive or fly over with no visa needed, as to estate agents we do need to have some idea of where you want to go to.
Old May 13th 2018, 11:44 am
Just Joined

I was thinking of Malaga, or Alicante area.
Old May 13th 2018, 12:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

No problem about 12 months/long term renting just a case of finding the right area. Best option would be to dedicate a few trips between now and your planned move date to different areas and then decide exactly what you are looking for.
Malaga a good starting point as has an excellent airport and good internal communications via the high speed train service. Costa del sol has lots of options but not everyone's "cup of tea" - gets awefully crowded in the summer months but then the same applies to many coastal districts.
Old May 13th 2018, 12:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks in advance 😬
When you have lived in Spain for 90 days you will need to sign on the foreigners register and obtain your NIE number. After 186 days you will automatically become a tax resident and you will pay taxes to the Spanish tax man instead of HMRC. You will need to fill in the Modelo 720 which requires you to declare your total worldwide wealth including amounts in bank accounts and any property ownership in any country.

As has been stated, after Brexit the requirements may change.

Steve