Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

regulations for letting a property

regulations for letting a property

Old May 11th 2008, 9:56 am
Forum Regular

jules63 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default regulations for letting a property

Does anyone know where I can find the regulations (in particular the health and safety ones) that have to be complied with to rent out a property? I tried google but nothing useful and it seems to me one of you folks may know where I can find them on the web...

cheers

Old May 11th 2008, 10:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Carol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: regulations for letting a property

I'm not an expert, but I'd think about looking here (perhaps you've done this already?):
http://www.laymyhat.com/health.php
or, try googling the website for your local ayuntamiento? Or, ask in
http://www.spanishpropertyinsight.com/index.htm
P.S. sorry, mods, tried to "insert links", but failed...

Last edited by Carol&John; May 11th 2008 at 10:13 am. Reason: P.S. added and corrected mistake
Old May 11th 2008, 11:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: regulations for letting a property

Originally Posted by jules63
Does anyone know where I can find the regulations (in particular the health and safety ones) that have to be complied with to rent out a property? I tried google but nothing useful and it seems to me one of you folks may know where I can find them on the web...

cheers

In some areas you have to be in a property that was given planning permission to let and you have to be registered with the Province as tourist accomodation. Majorca is particularly strict in this regard but others are less so.

Huelva where we are just require to be notified in the tourism department.

Of course the Hacienda will be interested to know about your income from the lets.

You will need to inform your insurers that the property is to be let and will probably want a higher premium and they should cover the H & S risk but you will have a personal duty of care under legislation passed down from Europe so you will have to ensure that your gas, electric, water and general building work is safe and if you have a pool thats a whole different ball game.
Old May 11th 2008, 2:50 pm
Forum Regular

john1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant future

Do you have to have an English contract and then a Spanish one ? Or is that a load of old you know what ? As i keep hearing different stories,

John
Old May 11th 2008, 4:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: regulations for letting a property

Originally Posted by john1979
Do you have to have an English contract and then a Spanish one ? Or is that a load of old you know what ? As i keep hearing different stories,

John
The property is in Spain so it will be covered by Spanish Law regardless of everything else so it is logical that the contract is in Spanish with translations as necessary!
Old May 12th 2008, 7:22 am
Just Joined

jordan is on a distinguished road

Spain's current Act of Urban Lettings, the 'Ley de Arrendamientos Urbanos', went into effect on January 1, 1995 is the main source of regulations about it.
Are you worry about for any health or safe condition of your property ?
If your property has First Licence of occupancy you should not worry because it certifies that the use of your property is in compliance with all the building laws and health laws in addition to other ordinances and provisions passed in this regard
Old May 12th 2008, 11:55 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fljordan
Spain's current Act of Urban Lettings, the 'Ley de Arrendamientos Urbanos', went into effect on January 1, 1995 is the main source of regulations about it.
Are you worry about for any health or safe condition of your property ?
If your property has First Licence of occupancy you should not worry because it certifies that the use of your property is in compliance with all the building laws and health laws in addition to other ordinances and provisions passed in this regard
I think you will find domestic and business requirements a bit different, especially on the insurance side.
Old May 12th 2008, 5:05 pm
Forum Regular

finca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud offinca steve has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jdr
I think you will find domestic and business requirements a bit different, especially on the insurance side.
I think you will find that when you insure your property you will be taking out a third party indemnity insurance as part and parcel of the policy. This is I believe a legal requirement in Spain.

We have a guest house on site that we rent out and when we arranged for insurance, from Mapfre, we stressed that we needed to be covered for any potential claims by paying guests. It was all included in the deal.

Interestingly when I owned and ran a charter yacht the additional premium for taking paying guests on board was only a further £25 on top of the usual private insurance premium which already covered me for third party claims up to £2,000,000

When we arranged our house policy here the amount set aside for third party claims was only 150,000 euros. We questioned this with Mapfre who said this was the usual level of payout over here but 'if you want more you can have it - at further cost of course'. Naturally our terms of business state that any claim is to be settled under Spanish Law.

A little more realistic than some of the ludricrous claims you hear of in the 'civilised west'.
Old May 12th 2008, 7:31 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by finca steve
I think you will find that when you insure your property you will be taking out a third party indemnity insurance as part and parcel of the policy. This is I believe a legal requirement in Spain.

We have a guest house on site that we rent out and when we arranged for insurance, from Mapfre, we stressed that we needed to be covered for any potential claims by paying guests. It was all included in the deal.

Interestingly when I owned and ran a charter yacht the additional premium for taking paying guests on board was only a further £25 on top of the usual private insurance premium which already covered me for third party claims up to £2,000,000

When we arranged our house policy here the amount set aside for third party claims was only 150,000 euros. We questioned this with Mapfre who said this was the usual level of payout over here but 'if you want more you can have it - at further cost of course'. Naturally our terms of business state that any claim is to be settled under Spanish Law.

A little more realistic than some of the ludricrous claims you hear of in the 'civilised west'.
That is in all policies even in the UK in case a tile comes off the roof or your dog takes a chunk out of some ones car.
I can`t see them insuring it for paying guests for free though.
Old May 13th 2008, 4:41 pm
Forum Regular

Justlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud of

I have just read the info in this web-page

http://c-euro.org/index.php?option=c...=596&Itemid=28

Bearing in mind other problems with property I would make it my business to be sure my lettings were perfectly legal.