Regrets

Old Feb 7th 2016, 9:49 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Regrets

Originally Posted by tebo53
I bought in the UK, paid it off early, made a nice profit and retired two years early. I used the profits to finance a nice lifestyle here in Spain. I would never buy in Spain but I'm quite happy renting now, paying just rent and electricity and not having anything else to think about.

That is full retirement to me
Originally Posted by Rosemary
I agree with Mitzyboy.

Our house was bought as a home to live in which we were free to alter in any way that we wished to make it work for us, if we had rented we would not have had the freedom. We took out the mortgage with a Spanish bank 12 years ago but could not insure the payments due to our age at the time so I have had to continue to pay this since Graham died. However, my mortgage ends this month so not only will I have the property that we invested in but also not have to pay to live in it.

Rosemary
Happy Mortgage end Rosemary! Financially free now and able to use the mortgage money for whatever you want.

Bottom line is you have to research where you are going to live. In the UK it's a no brainer, although young buyers struggle to get on the ladder these days. In other countries it may not be the best option. In Spain, the risk of buying imho is less now than it was 5 or 6 years ago.

But going back to the original question, I have no regrets about moving to Spain, the time I lived there, or purchasing. Had I rented, I would have spent €60k in rental, so even if I had lost €20k on the house sale I would still have been "up". It's a great area I lived in, the only thing I miss about moving back is the weather right now!
Old Feb 7th 2016, 11:27 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

No regrets about moving to Spain for a different experience, none about the choice of area and none about the town chosen.

Rosemary
Old Feb 8th 2016, 7:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy

I would never rent. I moved house around every 7 to 8 years, and I retired at the age of 52 with no mortgage. It enabled me to move to Spain where I bought in 2004. When we left we didn't lose money and sold very quickly. It was because we bought the right sort of villa in the right sort of area.

It's not an obsession that we have as a country. It makes financial sense.

If you want to move every 7 or 8 years in Spain then it makes no financial sense at all - thanks to the 10% sales tax

A property listed at 400k Euros for sale will rent out for 1k per month

If you bought it, you would have to pay 40k sales tax i.e. more than 3 years rent

And then of course there is no guarantee you could find a buyer if you wanted to sell. And then you would have to pay another 10% sales tax for your new property
Old Feb 8th 2016, 9:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Really? If you rent in the Uk at a reasonable cost, say £800 a month, in an average life time you will have a roof over your head but you will pay around £400,000 to someone for the privilige of doing so and you need to ensure you have the ability to pay that right up to the day of your death. If you buy a house with a mortgage then correctly financed you will pay it off by or even before retirement. The only difference between those two is maintenence. That obviously depends on your choice of house, and if maintaned well when you reach retirement you can down size if you want and have a handy lump sum to enjoy that retirement. I would never rent. I moved house around every 7 to 8 years, and I retired at the age of 52 with no mortgage. It enabled me to move to Spain where I bought in 2004. When we left we didn't lose money and sold very quickly. It was because we bought the right sort of villa in the right sort of area. It's not an obsession that we have as a country. It makes financial sense.
It always depends on finances, but I do agree that buying the right property at the right time (where you live and work) makes financial sense, especially if renting is more expensive, but there's no point if you have a huge mortgage and have to rely on a job that pays well.

The problem in Britain is that people always want to climb a property ladder, but they might end up in a property they don't like and are stuck if the market changes. Each case is different in Spain and again it's always about area, finances and lifestyle.

There are plenty of Brits who bought apartments (with their life savings) that are now falling apart and I'm sure they regret it. Most Spanish want to live in the cities where they can work and Spain has enough cheap hotels along the coast.
Old Feb 8th 2016, 11:08 am
Just Joined

sunseeker123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cricketman
If you want to move every 7 or 8 years in Spain then it makes no financial sense at all - thanks to the 10% sales tax

If you bought it, you would have to pay 40k sales tax i.e. more than 3 years rent

And then of course there is no guarantee you could find a buyer if you wanted to sell. And then you would have to pay another 10% sales tax for your new property

I understand, If I buy, I would pay 10% stamp duty and solicitor costs (budgeted 13% total). Do I pay another 10% tax when I sell?
Old Feb 8th 2016, 11:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunseeker123
I understand, If I buy, I would pay 10% stamp duty and solicitor costs (budgeted 13% total). Do I pay another 10% tax when I sell?
If you make a profit, you also pay capital gains tax (around 20%+).
Old Feb 8th 2016, 11:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunseeker123
No, but if you sell and then buy another then you have to pay another 10% sale tax. 10% ever ytime you buy

So buying in Spain is only OK if you want to stay for at least 10-15 years, or if property prices increase. Otherwise it makes no financial sense

Unfortunately the quality of rental properties is often terrible, certainly here up North. It is better down South because of how many millions of empty properties there are
Old Feb 8th 2016, 12:03 pm
Forum Regular

BigD Nerja is an unknown quantity at this point

It is better down South because of how many millions of empty properties there are
Totally agree, I sold 18 months ago and now rent. Plenty to choose from ranging from small flats at 2-300€ a month to large villas with a pool for over 1000€.
Old Feb 8th 2016, 12:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

rspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond repute

"Hi Is there anyone who regrets moving to Spain" - rather a naive question really. Those who love it in Spain will tell you how wonderful it is. Those that hate it or have hated it either won't admit it or will be back in the country they came from.
Old Feb 8th 2016, 12:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by rspltd
"Hi Is there anyone who regrets moving to Spain" - rather a naive question really. Those who love it in Spain will tell you how wonderful it is. Those that hate it or have hated it either won't admit it or will be back in the country they came from.
You're right and it really depends on the individual. One person might have bought an overpriced apartment in Marina d'Or during the boom and has nothing left and the other person bought a mansion in Begur in 2012.
Old Feb 8th 2016, 2:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

wilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond repute

Regrets? I've had a few, but then again too few to mention.
Old Feb 8th 2016, 2:18 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

..... It's not an obsession that we have as a country. It makes financial sense. ....
Maybe that's what Scot means - Anglo-Saxons are obsessed with sound financial decisions! .... Unlike the PIIGS!
Old Feb 8th 2016, 6:25 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

You clearly didnt read my post in the right vein

I dont remember me saying that people in Spain should move house every 7 years .... i was responding to the Scots comment about anglo saxon obsession and relating to my experience in the UK.

However in effect I DID move in Spain after 7 years and it caused me no problem but I woudnt recommend it for retirees generally
Old Feb 8th 2016, 10:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

big wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond repute

In my lifetime I have bought 2 houses. One in the uk where we lived for 26yrs & our home in Spain that we bought 12yrs ago. Both were purchased as somewhere to live, NOT investments.
I've never understood the obsession that some people have re the worth of their property. I couldn't care less what our house is worth, it's our home and we are here to stay.

So to answer the question. No I have no regrets.
Old Feb 8th 2016, 10:56 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by big wheels
In my lifetime I have bought 2 houses. One in the uk where we lived for 26yrs & our home in Spain that we bought 12yrs ago. Both were purchased as somewhere to live, NOT investments.
I've never understood the obsession that some people have re the worth of their property. I couldn't care less what our house is worth, it's our home and we are here to stay.

So to answer the question. No I have no regrets.
Totally agree with what you are saying I do not have a clue what my house is worth, no interest in knowing either.

Rosemary

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.