Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

registration at doctors.

registration at doctors.

Old Mar 6th 2016, 1:19 pm
Just Joined

BLUEBOY1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default registration at doctors.

I recently ruptured my achillies tendon try to push my car.had to go to hospital,had my leg plastered.got my prescription signed stamped only to find out i cannot get my painkillers and anti thrombosis injection without being registered with a doctor.got all relevant papers.NIE.EHIC.the lot.could you assist with this please.rgds.paul aspden.
Old Mar 6th 2016, 1:36 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: registration at doctors.

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Mar 6th 2016, 2:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BLUEBOY1
I recently ruptured my achillies tendon try to push my car.had to go to hospital,had my leg plastered.got my prescription signed stamped only to find out i cannot get my painkillers and anti thrombosis injection without being registered with a doctor.got all relevant papers.NIE.EHIC.the lot.could you assist with this please.rgds.paul aspden.
I think if you go to the local health centre with an EHIC you can register as short term patient. Certainly I know someone who is non resident who has done this. Of course it may be that different health centres have different rules . EHIC is not just for hospital treatment but any short term necessary treatment. You would of course not get free prescriptions.
Old Mar 6th 2016, 5:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

How can you be registered with a doctor if you are non-resident which I assume you are as you have EHIC.
Old Mar 6th 2016, 5:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Just like you can register as a temp patient with a doctor in the UK I would imagine. The EHIC is not just for use in hospitals at A&E it applies to health centres as well. All I know is I know someone who has done it. If you don't ask you won't know.
Old Mar 6th 2016, 5:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I know it can be used in Health centres but surely as a non resident you cannot actually register into the system as you would not have a numero de Seguridad Social - you go in, get treated, leave. No?
Old Mar 6th 2016, 6:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It may be that they simply register the EHIC number? There must be a way to do it as although the EHIC can't be used in order to travel to actually get treatment, it can be used for people with certain ongoing conditions who need treatment on say a 2 or 3 month trip or for a doctor to prescribe ongoing medication (which I know would not be free) I also do know that this happens as in the UK I do NHS voluntary work and know that there is a specific dept of the NHS that organise this. As I said earlier I also know an elderly non resident who is registered at and attends the local health centre in Spain when over, all done with his EHIC and he does not re register every trip, it is ongoing.
Old Mar 6th 2016, 6:42 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

That's correct. There are many reasons why non residents with an EHIC require regular treatment, dialysis being an extreme example, or regular clotting tests if on anticoagulants.

Registering at the local health centre makes this possible otherwise it would not be possible to make regular appointments for treatment.

Contrary to what is often quoted online, the EHIC is not solely for emergency treatment (for which you would be unlikely to have to make a regular appointment!)
Old Mar 6th 2016, 6:48 pm
Forum Regular

Tammydog is an unknown quantity at this point

If retired you can take your EHIC to the clinic and get a temporary SIP card lasts for 6 months get your pescription at reduced price but can get them free in some areas now. But only for 6 months. Then you need to be a resident. But we have had amazing treatment here. They saved my husbands life. Will be for ever greatful to the Spanish system.
Old Mar 6th 2016, 7:34 pm
Forum Regular

Tammydog is an unknown quantity at this point

Just before I get some comments about how long we have been here. We did 3 months last year. And doing 3 this year. Ferry return was done at the start back to Uk Soon for a few months. After a rental here.. Loved it....