Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Registering for zero tax in the UK

Registering for zero tax in the UK

Old Sep 7th 2009, 5:33 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Registering for zero tax in the UK

Just to let you know, we downloaded form FD9 (in Spanish & English) from the HMRC web site and took it along with a copy of our Padron and copy of passport to the non residents hacienda office in Valencia.

After filling in a further simple form we were handed back the English form duly stamped by the office. We now have to send that to HMRC in Nottingham, where apparantly it takes them about 6 months to process the documents. When processed, HMRC will be fully aware that we are paying tax in Spain, and my wifes State pension will be taxed here taking advantage of the Spanish Tax allowances, whilst her Civil Service Pension will be taxed in the UK, taking advantage of the UK tax allowances. End result, hopefully .. very little, if any tax at all.
Old Sep 7th 2009, 7:09 pm
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Registering for zero tax in the UK

A tidy piece of info Mitzy & that will come in handy in a few years.

Brian
Old Sep 7th 2009, 9:50 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

An addition to the free beer maybe?
Old Sep 8th 2009, 8:08 am
Forum Regular

Jaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really nice

wot - ya get free beer when you retire in spain? - where my passport
Old Sep 8th 2009, 8:18 am
Forum Regular

gardner8 is just really nicegardner8 is just really nicegardner8 is just really nicegardner8 is just really nicegardner8 is just really nicegardner8 is just really nicegardner8 is just really nicegardner8 is just really nicegardner8 is just really nice

Mitzyboy.................

If you are paying tax in Spain I assume you must be a resident so why the non residents tax office. I need to do this in a month or so and was just wondering if you made a mistake or is there a specific reason for going to the 'non residents' office?
Thanks.
Old Sep 8th 2009, 8:25 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

While the Form FD9 is the correct way of doing it, it has been reported that some tax offices have refused to stamp the form.

In this case you need to get them to issue a "Certificado do residencia fiscal" which they will only do once you have submitted a tax declaration for the income that you wish to be paid gross in the UK.

This then is sent to HMRC who will then allow the pension to be paid gross.
Old Sep 8th 2009, 12:36 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gardner8
Mitzyboy.................

If you are paying tax in Spain I assume you must be a resident so why the non residents tax office. I need to do this in a month or so and was just wondering if you made a mistake or is there a specific reason for going to the 'non residents' office?
Thanks.
No ...... no mistake. I am a resident here but had to go to the non resident office. I think its probably just the foreignors office

FRED: The lady at the offices there said we had done everything entirely correctly, so based on that I would say possibly it is the people who are not stamping them that are in the wrong ... or maybe its one of those area things again

Both of us (our beighbours) had completed tax returns in the past, but they didnt even look at our neighbours. She checked on the PC, saw I wasnt of pensionable age, and then asked if I had declared anything in Spain .... at which point I was able to produce a tax return.
Old Sep 8th 2009, 7:12 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
FRED: The lady at the offices there said we had done everything entirely correctly, so based on that I would say possibly it is the people who are not stamping them that are in the wrong ... or maybe its one of those area things again .
You are quite right - they are in the wrong but we have seen numerous examples of the Spanish authorities not understanding their own rules.

For example they sometimes insist on photos for the new foreigners registration certificate which is definitely not a requirement.

It's definitely an area thing. When you consider that civil servants in Spain have a job for life with a huge pension, it is hardly surprising that they cannot be bothered to read their own rules