Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

registering for school

registering for school

Old Apr 12th 2010, 5:59 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default registering for school

has anyone successfully applied for (& secured) state school places for their children before actually moving here

I'm talking recently - it's changed since we went through the process

do you register as resident before you actually move here (is this possible/legal?)

I know you can get a NIE without living here & it's possible to sign on the padron - it's the 'resident list' (what some still call 'residencia') I'm not sure of
Old Apr 12th 2010, 8:41 am
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: registering for school

Everytime we've wanted to get my daughter into a state school, we've just walked into the school and said "can she join please" (in spanish of course!!??) and they've said yes, given us forms to fill in and return, on which we wrote our preferred start date and thats that - in a nutshell!

Jo xx
Old Apr 12th 2010, 9:27 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jojojojojo
Everytime we've wanted to get my daughter into a state school, we've just walked into the school and said "can she join please" (in spanish of course!!??) and they've said yes, given us forms to fill in and return, on which we wrote our preferred start date and thats that - in a nutshell!

Jo xx
exactly - but you're already here & registered as resident
Old Apr 12th 2010, 10:28 am
Forum Regular

UKinSpain is just really niceUKinSpain is just really niceUKinSpain is just really niceUKinSpain is just really niceUKinSpain is just really niceUKinSpain is just really niceUKinSpain is just really niceUKinSpain is just really niceUKinSpain is just really niceUKinSpain is just really nice

Hi Lynnxa,

It's Sally here from the British Embassy in Madrid. There's some information on our website about residence requirements, which might be useful:

http://ukinspain.fco.gov.uk/en/help-.../residence-req

Hope it helps to clear things up a little!

Sally
Old Apr 12th 2010, 2:43 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by UKinSpain
Hi Lynnxa,

It's Sally here from the British Embassy in Madrid. There's some information on our website about residence requirements, which might be useful:

http://ukinspain.fco.gov.uk/en/help-.../residence-req

Hope it helps to clear things up a little!

Sally
thanks Sally

I know you need all that - I just wasn't sure if it was possible to 'register' before actually living here

logically I guess you can't - but then you can't register for state school until you live here, so can't really 'get the ball rolling' as it were
Old Apr 12th 2010, 6:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
thanks Sally

I know you need all that - I just wasn't sure if it was possible to 'register' before actually living here

logically I guess you can't - but then you can't register for state school until you live here, so can't really 'get the ball rolling' as it were
*ahem* I think it might depend on the area/school etc. Ok littl'un's now at a n other place, but when we put him down for the local state school we weren't living here full time, and we'd hedged our bets and enrolled him at a state school in the UK plus the state one here - had padron, nie, but not residencia. Indeed I've only got that in the past year or so..... Anyway, they (school) wanted to see padron & nie, plus his inoculation stuff but that was it. Once the decision was made, he & I moved here full time & he was in school. End of, as they say!
Old Apr 13th 2010, 4:40 am
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by fionamw
*ahem* I think it might depend on the area/school etc. Ok littl'un's now at a n other place, but when we put him down for the local state school we weren't living here full time, and we'd hedged our bets and enrolled him at a state school in the UK plus the state one here - had padron, nie, but not residencia. Indeed I've only got that in the past year or so..... Anyway, they (school) wanted to see padron & nie, plus his inoculation stuff but that was it. Once the decision was made, he & I moved here full time & he was in school. End of, as they say!
that's what I'm thinking - although it was a few years ago when you went through the process too - wasn't it?

all we had to show when ours started was padron & NIE etc(although the kids didn't actually need a NIE either, although they had them) - but that was in the days of the old residencia

I was hoping someone who had done it in the past few months might know.......

I'm sure i read on somewhere (here maybe) of someone doing the 'resident's' bit before actually living here - which doesn't seem right

I guess it would just be a case of going to the Ayuntamiento/Casa de Cultura & getting a definitive list of requirements locally
Old Apr 13th 2010, 4:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Applications started (from memory) April/May 2006, he started school in the Sept.

(off topic, but we didn't get him an NIE & I recently wanted to open a kids' savings account at the bank & they wouldn't without his NIE??? Is it as easy as adults?)
Old Apr 14th 2010, 5:19 am
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by fionamw
Applications started (from memory) April/May 2006, he started school in the Sept.

(off topic, but we didn't get him an NIE & I recently wanted to open a kids' savings account at the bank & they wouldn't without his NIE??? Is it as easy as adults?)
it's exactly the same
Old Apr 14th 2010, 10:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

SaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of light

We have never been asked for our son's residency number at either school that we have applied to (in two different regions of Spain). I don't think it is a requirement for schools, as the children of illegal immigrants can go to school (i.e. people who don't have this number). I think the padron is essential as people have said, because otherwise people could just apply for all the best schools wherever they fancy.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 4:25 am
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by SaritaBarcelona
We have never been asked for our son's residency number at either school that we have applied to (in two different regions of Spain). I don't think it is a requirement for schools, as the children of illegal immigrants can go to school (i.e. people who don't have this number). I think the padron is essential as people have said, because otherwise people could just apply for all the best schools wherever they fancy.
last time I translated for someone at a local school they were asked for it - about a year ago, so unless it was an 'off day' or things have changed - again - they are asking for it around here

ah well - I know someone about to start the process so I'll know if it's currently required definitively within the next week or so

my real query was for someone who isn't living here yet - can they register as 'resident' and get things moving?