Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Registering as not economically active and changing later?

Registering as not economically active and changing later?

Old Jan 14th 2018, 6:14 am
Just Joined

IanWorthington is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Registering as not economically active and changing later?

I'm a self-employed software developer, which would seem to put me in line for paying around eur250/month, apart from the first year where it's eur50/mo, if I understand correctly.

As I'm not currently economically active (in development), and will be spending much of the first year travelling out of the country anyway, should I instead seek to register as "not economically active", and pay private medical insurance, which seems to be around eur40/mo?

Presumably I can then change to "self-employed" when I start being economically active?

As proof of savings, I have gbp100k sitting in an isa, as well as functional credit cards: is that likely to be sufficient?
Old Jan 14th 2018, 9:02 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Registering as not economically active and changing later?

The discount rises (in increments) from the initial 50€ to the full figure over TWO years.

Yes, a number of professions do just what you're contemplating. For example, self-employed teachers 'baja' for the summer months and then 'alta' when the term begins again.
Old Jan 14th 2018, 3:58 pm
Just Joined

IanWorthington is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Registering as not economically active and changing later?

That's encouraging. Thanks!