Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

registering new bike in spain

registering new bike in spain

Old Jul 12th 2008, 5:40 pm
Just Joined

Lloydy is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry registering new bike in spain

Bought a brand new 650 Yamaha, 2nd hand but unregistered, (still in crate).Have eventually, after 7 months, got my ITV. Does anyone know if I need to have it transfered by Gestoria, even though I have reciept from seller, and the fact that it has no registration, before I go to the Hacienda?? I have had this bike for almost 10 months trying to get it through this pathetic Spanish system.
Do I pay tax on it's cost at new, or tax on what I paid for it??Would appreciate any helpful info, i'm running out of steam!!
Regards,
Ian.
Old Jul 12th 2008, 7:00 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: registering new bike in spain

It's easier to use a gestor to sort it out.

If by tax, you mean the matriculation tax, that is based on the new cost at the time of manufacture, discounted by a certain percentage for each year since then.
Old Jul 12th 2008, 7:16 pm
Just Joined

Wink Re: registering new bike in spain

Hi Fred,
Thanks for your prompt reply,but as I have almost done it myself, I did not want to use a Gestoria this far on, i just want to know what I now need to take to the Hacienda.
Ian.
Old Jul 12th 2008, 7:21 pm
zel

zel is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lloydy
Bought a brand new 650 Yamaha, 2nd hand but unregistered, (still in crate).Have eventually, after 7 months, got my ITV. Does anyone know if I need to have it transfered by Gestoria, even though I have reciept from seller, and the fact that it has no registration, before I go to the Hacienda?? I have had this bike for almost 10 months trying to get it through this pathetic Spanish system.
Do I pay tax on it's cost at new, or tax on what I paid for it??Would appreciate any helpful info, i'm running out of steam!!
Regards,
Ian.
See there is complications on this matter.

Since the motorbike is unregistered so classed as "new" not only should you have to pay the matriculation tax but if you have not paid local IVA already on the bike then you should have to pay that too.

If you have paid UK VAT on the vehicle you SHOULD be able to claim that back from Customs & Excise once you can show them that the tax has been paid on it in another member state.

The law states if a vehicle is less than six months old OR has less than 6000kms on the clock then you have to pay local tax (vat) and then claim it back from the original member state. Unless of course you bought it Net with a Vat qualifying company.

I say it "should" be payable as Spain is Spain and things don't always happen to the letter but if it were me I would 100% employ a Gestoria that knows their stuff as they may be able to do something with the tax aspect.

It's also worth knowing the matriculation tax is also based on the CC of the motorbike, take a look at my FAQ in my signature at the bottom of my post for further details.
Old Jul 12th 2008, 7:51 pm
Just Joined

Thumbs up Re: registering new bike in spain

Zel,
Thankyou so much for your info, extremely helpful, but I had heard that you can only use the Baja, Consul, once, is this true? os just more of these rubbish rumours. Thanks again Zel, excellent info, I think I will give my docs to the local Gestoria! Should I go to the Consul first, I live in Mazarron so I have to go to Alicante for that.
Regards,
Ian
Old Jul 12th 2008, 9:19 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
A "Baja de Residencia" is simply a document that states that you have left your country of origen with the intention of PERMANENTLY residing in Spain. Therefore it can be used many times, BUT you only get one chance of "avoiding" the tax

Dave
Old Jul 12th 2008, 9:27 pm
Just Joined

Hi Dave, does that mean that I cannot use it for my bike because I used it for my truck when I re-registered it to Spanish Plates?
Old Jul 13th 2008, 7:22 am
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Not at all, quite to the contrary. I believe that you have to use the one you originally used; however you only have 60 days from the date on the Baja says you entered Spain to avoid the "import" duty. That is the only consequence of reusing the Baja. Indeed we have a friend that has used it three times over three years.

Dave
Old Jul 13th 2008, 10:22 am
Just Joined

Thumbs up Re: registering new bike in spain

Dave,
Many thanks for your input, you have been a mine of information! I'm off to the Consul, thanks again everyone who conrtibuted to my question.
Ian.
Old Jul 18th 2008, 10:43 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Dxf
Hi
Not at all, quite to the contrary. I believe that you have to use the one you originally used; however you only have 60 days from the date on the Baja says you entered Spain to avoid the "import" duty. That is the only consequence of reusing the Baja. Indeed we have a friend that has used it three times over three years.

Dave
Dave, if a Baja lasts only 60days, how has your friend used it 3 times in 3 years, or has he used 3 different Baja's, we got our Baja nearly 3 years ago, and used it on our english car, so does this mean we can use this one on the bike??
Ian
Old Jul 19th 2008, 6:38 am
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Hi

Sorry I obviously did not explain too well. A Baja is issued as the date you decided to permanently reside in Spain and abandon England. If within 60 days of that date that you decided to import your car, then you don't have to pay "import" duty. Anytime after the 60 days - then you will pay duty.

Dave
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 6:42 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Outboard Engine posts moved to it`s own thread in Siesta Time.