Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

registering my US husband on arrival, married in US, not EU country

registering my US husband on arrival, married in US, not EU country

Old Feb 23rd 2011, 8:40 pm
Forum Regular

arran29 will become famous soon enough
Default registering my US husband on arrival, married in US, not EU country

I am a UK citizen, my husband is a US citizen and we live at the moment in the US. We were married here 6 years ago. I called the marriage registry office in Scotland at the time to check if I had to also advise them that I had got married overseas. They told me it was not necessary. However I am looking into the documentation required to register my husband as a family member on arrival in Spain and I see that we will need a translated copy of our marriage certificate and that it is meant to have been registered in an EU country. How do I go about that? Has anyone else had this problem and how did they resolve it? Greatly appreciate any advice given.
Old Feb 24th 2011, 3:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Eric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: registering my US husband on arrival, married in US, not EU country

Originally Posted by arran29
I am a UK citizen, my husband is a US citizen and we live at the moment in the US. We were married here 6 years ago. I called the marriage registry office in Scotland at the time to check if I had to also advise them that I had got married overseas. They told me it was not necessary. However I am looking into the documentation required to register my husband as a family member on arrival in Spain and I see that we will need a translated copy of our marriage certificate and that it is meant to have been registered in an EU country. How do I go about that? Has anyone else had this problem and how did they resolve it? Greatly appreciate any advice given.
I don't know where you live in the US. But you may want to go to the nearest Spanish consulate and ask them there.

- Eric S.
Old Feb 24th 2011, 3:17 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eric S
I don't know where you live in the US. But you may want to go to the nearest Spanish consulate and ask them there.

- Eric S.
Good advice, as you may need to do it before you leave the US.
Old Feb 24th 2011, 6:58 pm
Forum Regular

thanks,yes I did call the Spanish consulate office for advice on the visa, and they said he was allowed to enter the country with me as a family member and then to go to register him at the nearest police station, but omitted any info about what we'd need when there so I am glad I am investigating all this before we leave.
Old Feb 24th 2011, 7:23 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arran29
thanks,yes I did call the Spanish consulate office for advice on the visa, and they said he was allowed to enter the country with me as a family member and then to go to register him at the nearest police station, but omitted any info about what we'd need when there so I am glad I am investigating all this before we leave.
You have to register at the local National police station within 3 months, sometimes you need to queue or sometimes you make an appointment, depends on the area.
As you are an EU citizen all you will need is your passport and a photocopy of the info page of it and a receipt from the local bank to say that you have paid the ten €`s fee, they give you the form to take to the bank.
You will be given a green sheet of A4 paper, this is your residencia certificate, on it will be your NIE number which is just a number that is used as ID when filling in forms etc.
Your husband as he is not an EU citizen will need passport and copy, pp size photos, fingerprints taken onto the form, he will get a residencia card and an NIE number too, this can be used as ID as it has his photo on it.
Not sure about the visa side of things though.
You can drive on your UK licence if you have one, but your husband will need to take a test after a time limit, I think this is 6 months.
Old Feb 24th 2011, 7:42 pm
Forum Regular

appreciate the detailed info,thanks,yes I do have both UK and US driving license.
Old Feb 25th 2011, 11:00 am
BE Forum Addict

SueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond repute

JDR is correct in what he says. Your husband will have to jump through hoops when he gets here but as he is married to an EU citizen the foreigners office will not be worried about the visa (information found out by telephone yesterday for a client). You will have to have the marriage certified "legalized" in the USA before you arrive here. Once that has been done it will also need to be translated into Spanish and possibly presented at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Madrid. Please also bear in mind that the "legalization" is only valid for three months. If older the authorities will not accept it here.
Old Feb 25th 2011, 1:21 pm
Retired and in Spain

Library Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really nice

Apologies for jumping in on someone elses thread but this has struck a cord with our situation.

We are both UK nationals with UK passports but got married in St Lucia (part of the British Commonwealth). We didn't attempt to register the marriage in the UK as we understood that we didn't need to.

Will either a marriage outside the EU or not registered in the EU cause us any problems when we come to live in Spain?
Old Feb 25th 2011, 1:31 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Library Ticket
Apologies for jumping in on someone elses thread but this has struck a cord with our situation.

We are both UK nationals with UK passports but got married in St Lucia (part of the British Commonwealth). We didn't attempt to register the marriage in the UK as we understood that we didn't need to.

Will either a marriage outside the EU or not registered in the EU cause us any problems when we come to live in Spain?
I doubt it - I suppose it depends on what you want to do!!!

as far as day to day living is concerned I can't remember ever showing our marriage cert, except maybe registering the kids in school - but a lot of people I know here with kids aren't married & they had no problem

but you're not in that situation are you, iirc?
Old Feb 25th 2011, 4:49 pm
Retired and in Spain

Library Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really niceLibrary Ticket is just really nice

Originally Posted by lynnxa
I doubt it - I suppose it depends on what you want to do!!!
Nothing for a very long time I hope!!!

My concern was what might happen when one of us dies in Spain.
Old Feb 25th 2011, 5:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

Spanish arent interested in foreigners marriage certificates or any certificate that are more than 3 months old.

You will have NIE numbers, a passport and hopefully a will to take to the Notary.

They are all you need.
Old Feb 25th 2011, 5:57 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

from what SueG has written today on the recent 'wills' thread - make sure your wills are in order & you should have no problems

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...7&postcount=51