Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Registering a compan in Spain

Registering a compan in Spain

Old Nov 7th 2007, 5:58 pm
Forum Regular

john1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant future
Default Registering a company in Spain

Hello all

I have a net based business here in the UK. I make the move on the 8th January. I am looking for the pro's and cons of registering my company in Spain. Is there any benefit in doing this ? Or not worth the hassle ?

Bit of a minefiled for me this. i am speaking to someone next week but would like some info in my head before i speak to them.

Many thanks,

John

Last edited by john1979; Nov 7th 2007 at 7:29 pm.
Old Nov 7th 2007, 8:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

AdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Registering a compan in Spain

Why do you want to register the company in Spain?

If it is a net based business, how are you generating the revenue? Do you have a third party processor that requires a business account where your earnings are deposited? Or is it advertising revenue?

To be honest, unless there are taxation implications(which I have no knowledge of) and/or you need to open a business account in Spain, I don't see why you would need to register it in Spain.
Old Nov 7th 2007, 8:07 pm
Forum Regular

john1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by AdrianTO
Why do you want to register the company in Spain?

If it is a net based business, how are you generating the revenue? Do you have a third party processor that requires a business account where your earnings are deposited? Or is it advertising revenue?

To be honest, unless there are taxation implications(which I have no knowledge of) and/or you need to open a business account in Spain, I don't see why you would need to register it in Spain.
It is an established business here in the UK. I'm good at my net stuff but when it comes to things like tax etc i am useless. I am going to be selling to English garages in Spain when over here as well.

So may as well just stay as i am then as i am in the UK ?

As i said i am sitting down with someone next week to get my head round all this.
Old Nov 7th 2007, 8:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

AdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by john1979
It is an established business here in the UK. I'm good at my net stuff but when it comes to things like tax etc i am useless. I am going to be selling to English garages in Spain when over here as well.

So may as well just stay as i am then as i am in the UK ?

As i said i am sitting down with someone next week to get my head round all this.
If you are going to be actually selling to businesses in Spain and shipping goods to them from within Spain, maybe set up another business in Spain, and keep your established business in the UK as well.
Old Nov 7th 2007, 8:53 pm
Young at heart

jandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Registering a company in Spain

Hello all

I have a net based business here in the UK. I make the move on the 8th January. I am looking for the pro's and cons of registering my company in Spain. Is there any benefit in doing this ? Or not worth the hassle ?

Bit of a minefiled for me this. i am speaking to someone next week but would like some info in my head before i speak to them.

Many thanks,

John
Hi john you may find this interesting reading HERE Good luck
Old Nov 7th 2007, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jandy44
Hi john you may find this interesting reading HERE Good luck
Thank you Jandy appreciated.

Just up the road from me you are i am in Doncaster. An ex of min e lives in South Kirby.

Thanks once again.
Old Nov 7th 2007, 9:07 pm
Young at heart

jandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you Jandy appreciated.

Just up the road from me you are i am in Doncaster. An ex of min e lives in South Kirby.

Thanks once again.
No problem I hope you find it usefull , small world hey It all sounds very complicated I think the best thing to do is get a good gestor if you decide to open a business in Spain , we met a good english speaking one recently in Torrox if thats any use to you..........and would you believe it she did not want to charge for the half hour we spent with her and she made further calls for us and did not want to take anything ,my O/H insisted on her taking some payment ,unlike a lot of the solicitors here that are charging a arm and a leg for services , well good luck
Old Nov 7th 2007, 9:14 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jandy44
No problem I hope you find it usefull , small world hey It all sounds very complicated I think the best thing to do is get a good gestor if you decide to open a business in Spain , we met a good english speaking one recently in Torrox if thats any use to you..........and would you believe it she did not want to charge for the half hour we spent with her and she made further calls for us and did not want to take anything ,my O/H insisted on her taking some payment ,unlike a lot of the solicitors here that are charging a arm and a leg for services , well good luck
Thanks i will keep that in mind.

All very complicated to me im useless at this sort of thing.
Old Nov 8th 2007, 2:48 pm
Spain Business Guides

elgestor is just really niceelgestor is just really niceelgestor is just really niceelgestor is just really niceelgestor is just really niceelgestor is just really niceelgestor is just really niceelgestor is just really nice

Originally Posted by john1979;
Hello all

Many thanks,

John
Hello john1979,

Will you be self employed in Spain or are you intending to set up a limited (s.l.) company in Spain?

Being self employed (Autonomo) in Spain is a relatively simple thing to do. You register with the tax office, the social security and maybe but not always with your ayuntamiento, depending on your activity and whether you have premises or not.

Setting up a limited company is more involved and will require registration as Autonomo plus registering the company by escritura with the Notario and el Registro. There is also more paperwork involved in setting up and running a limited company.

The third option is to keep your UK company and register your place of work in Spain as a branch of your UK company. In this case there is no need to register and set up a new company in Spain. What you need to do is register with hacienda to get a Spanish IVA (VAT) registration and with the seguridad social to pay your social security contributions.

EU law states that you must declare and contribute to social security in the place where you carry out your activity. The only exception are itinerant workers.

I realise that making money on the internet can be global, we sell our Spain business guides all over the world but are in Spain for more than 180 days a year. Therefore we are obliged to contribute under the Spanish tax and social security system.

Best regards

David
Old Nov 8th 2007, 2:59 pm
Forum Regular

' The third option is to keep your UK company and register your place of work in Spain as a branch of your UK company. In this case there is no need to register and set up a new company in Spain. What you need to do is register with hacienda to get a Spanish IVA (VAT) registration and with the seguridad social to pay your social security contributions.'

Ha ha this is what i had in my head and wanting to do. Thank you for that least i can have my meeting and know what i am wanting to say now.

Much appreciated.
Old Nov 8th 2007, 6:36 pm
Spain Business Guides

elgestor is just really niceelgestor is just really niceelgestor is just really niceelgestor is just really niceelgestor is just really niceelgestor is just really niceelgestor is just really niceelgestor is just really nice

Glad to be of help.

David