Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Registering car in Spain

Registering car in Spain

Old Mar 24th 2009, 6:23 am
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Registering car in Spain

Typically, we forgot about the 6 months bit! Would this work?
We are moving over in June (although noting Fred's tax advice, will probably officially move in July if possible).

Can we buy a LHD car in the UK now, and then bring it over in 6 or 7 months?

If so, could we perhaps use it to come over in in June and then take it back to the UK for 5 months or so, before officially importing it?
Old Mar 24th 2009, 7:03 am
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Registering car in Spain

Hi Bigglesworth,

The car can be imported as part of your "goods & chattels" only if you have owned it for 6 months. It is when YOU become resident that matters so if you buy a car today, then you must not become resident until 24th September.
On the "Baja de Residencia" from the consulate it states that you have formally abandonded your country with the intention of living permanently in Spain on the date that you swore that you made that decision.

It is therefore feasible that you move over, still trying to sell your UK house, and only decide to live here permanently when you sell your UK house - but it is "streching the limits" although I have suspected many Brits of similar underhand tactics.

Davexf
Old Mar 24th 2009, 8:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Registering car in Spain

Originally Posted by Dxf
Hi Bigglesworth,

The car can be imported as part of your "goods & chattels" only if you have owned it for 6 months. It is when YOU become resident that matters so if you buy a car today, then you must not become resident until 24th September.
On the "Baja de Residencia" from the consulate it states that you have formally abandonded your country with the intention of living permanently in Spain on the date that you swore that you made that decision.

It is therefore feasible that you move over, still trying to sell your UK house, and only decide to live here permanently when you sell your UK house - but it is "streching the limits" although I have suspected many Brits of similar underhand tactics.

Davexf
We are down SW in Ayamonte and as far as I know the nearest consulate in Spain is in Malaga (there may be a nearer one in Portugal bu I suspect that will be no help). Can you get this "Baja de Residence" remotely by phone or tinternet or do you have to attend in person?

Last edited by EsuriJohn; Mar 24th 2009 at 8:17 am.
Old Mar 24th 2009, 8:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bigglesworth
Typically, we forgot about the 6 months bit! Would this work?
We are moving over in June (although noting Fred's tax advice, will probably officially move in July if possible).

Can we buy a LHD car in the UK now, and then bring it over in 6 or 7 months?

If so, could we perhaps use it to come over in in June and then take it back to the UK for 5 months or so, before officially importing it?
I thought October was the optimum since you then your full allowance in each place and only have 3 months in Spain and 6 in UK.
Old Mar 24th 2009, 8:28 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by John & Kath
I thought October was the optimum since you then your full allowance in each place and only have 3 months in Spain and 6 in UK.
As Ive said before, we moved in october 06 and didnt have to to do a tax return until early 2008
Old Mar 24th 2009, 8:36 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by John & Kath

If you move any time after the end of June, you will not be tax resident in Spain for that year so there is no question of getting allowances in both places.

You will not normally be treated as non UK resident (with regard to UK generated income such as pensions), irrespective of when you move, until you can prove tax residency in another country - HMRC don't let you off the hook that easily.

Filling in Form FD9 used to help this situation as the Spanish taxman confirmed that he had been given details of your income, even if you had not yet paid Spanish tax on it (because it is paid in arrears in Spain) and this was accepted by HMRC who then took you off their hook.

It now appears that Spain will not process the FD9 so HMRC have to wait until you can get a certificate of tax residency from Spain. It may be possible to get this before you have paid your Spanish tax but I imagine it could be a problem. As this is a recent development I have not heard any feedback on this specific point.

Another point regarding the changeover of tax residency is that the UK allow you to split a year - ie. if you are only tax resident in the UK for 6 months of the fiscal year, you only pay tax on half your income but still get a full years allowances. In Spain, once you become tax resident you are considered tax resident for the whole of that year.
Old Mar 24th 2009, 9:56 am
Just Joined

billyf is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Fred James
If you move any time after the end of June, you will not be tax resident in Spain for that year so there is no question of getting allowances in both places.

You will not normally be treated as non UK resident (with regard to UK generated income such as pensions), irrespective of when you move, until you can prove tax residency in another country - HMRC don't let you off the hook that easily.

Filling in Form FD9 used to help this situation as the Spanish taxman confirmed that he had been given details of your income, even if you had not yet paid Spanish tax on it (because it is paid in arrears in Spain) and this was accepted by HMRC who then took you off their hook.

It now appears that Spain will not process the FD9 so HMRC have to wait until you can get a certificate of tax residency from Spain. It may be possible to get this before you have paid your Spanish tax but I imagine it could be a problem. As this is a recent development I have not heard any feedback on this specific point.

Another point regarding the changeover of tax residency is that the UK allow you to split a year - ie. if you are only tax resident in the UK for 6 months of the fiscal year, you only pay tax on half your income but still get a full years allowances. In Spain, once you become tax resident you are considered tax resident for the whole of that year.
sorry to jump in, does anybody know can i get a british reg car itvied in spain
without changing over to spanish reg
Old Mar 24th 2009, 10:13 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by billyf
sorry to jump in, does anybody know can i get a british reg car itvied in spain
without changing over to spanish reg
You can get a UK car ITVd at any ITV station but it will be a complete waste of money as does not replace the need for a UK MOT.
Old Mar 24th 2009, 10:18 am
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

Fred

Thanks again for all helpful info. I think I am doing my usual -trying to find a solution that fits every eventuality, which of course may not be possible. The reason I mentioned delaying our residency was two fold - one income tax, secondly car import.

The price of cars in Spain seems horrific, so ideally I would like to bring one over.

Is it possible for us to buy a car now in UK and then arrive in Spain (say)June 5. (We would get NIEs sorted through our Gestor beforehand.)
One of us then register for residency immediately, and the other, before September 5th, also apply for residency. Then 6 months after buying the car, perhaps October 1, import the car?
Old Mar 24th 2009, 10:25 am
Living in NW Galicia

Brano77 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Bigglesworth,

I presume you want to buy in UK because of the very poor exchange rate? Eventually getting the car matriculated in Spain will cost you around 1000euros if you use a Gestor, perhaps 600 euros if you don't. As you are proposing to buy in UK I presume you will also need to change the headlights - if so perhaps 150 euros. The car may also be to a specification not available in Spain which may cause some servicing issues in the future for more obscure bits that may fail.

Not sure when you propose to go for Residencia but If you can survive with a UK car this year and eventually buy in Spain (when the euro is back to 1.3 ) that may be the more pragmatic option. One of you could hold back on Residencia and have the car UK registered in their name which may give you more breathing space. Liverpool Victoria Insurance will cover you for up to 6 months on a UK insurance policy.
Old Mar 24th 2009, 10:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Brano - thanks. Yes the price is an issue (naturally).
But we are also concerned about the safety aspect, as I will be shunting back and forth once every couple of months for a while.
I think we may just have to bite the bullet and pay the tax.
Old Mar 24th 2009, 12:21 pm
Account Closed

kaff99 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

I recently changed over my UK registered LHD car to spanish plates.

We bought it May 2008 from UK. Had it transported over to Southern Spain in June 2008.

It had mot and car tax for a year but insured it here in spain.

In November we contacted a company to re-register to spanish plates for about 1000 euros.

They applied for a tax-exemption from the authorities for us.

We hadn't got a residencia so not a tax resident then. (I am now)

The company wanted a copy of our empadron which I went to the ayuntamiento and asked for a copy which was dated stamped November 2008 (???). The empadron needed to be less than 6 months I think?

Piece of cake.
Old Mar 24th 2009, 12:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kaff, encouraging. Thank you
Old Mar 24th 2009, 1:03 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Bigglesworth,

Yes you can get the Baja by post BUT PLEASE courier it do not use the Spanish post.
There have been several misconceptions. Firstly your Empadron MUST be under three months old and has no bearing on your date of abandoning England.
Secondly the headlights - my experience of around 200 cars is between 350 & 600 euros as an average - ask before you buy. PLUS the rear lights now can be a problem if you only have one reversing light and one "high intensity rear (fog) light" then you will have to swap them over.
Next if you apply for residency before you formally abandon England then the figures will not add up.
Finally we are not concerned about fiscal residency when importing a car.
By all means pm me if you want further info

Davexf
Old Mar 24th 2009, 1:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by kaff99
Hi

I recently changed over my UK registered LHD car to spanish plates.

We bought it May 2008 from UK. Had it transported over to Southern Spain in June 2008.

It had mot and car tax for a year but insured it here in spain.

In November we contacted a company to re-register to spanish plates for about 1000 euros.

They applied for a tax-exemption from the authorities for us.

We hadn't got a residencia so not a tax resident then. (I am now)

The company wanted a copy of our empadron which I went to the ayuntamiento and asked for a copy which was dated stamped November 2008 (???). The empadron needed to be less than 6 months I think?

Piece of cake.
Where are you and who were the company?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.