Redneck member

Old Dec 30th 2008, 5:47 pm
Just Joined

WYVERN is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Redneck member

Hello
I am a new member of this forum looking to relocate from the uk to the costa's at some time in the future, but while I am waiting for my winning lottery ticket to turn up, would be looking for temporary or permanant car/plant or boat mechanical work maybe one off jobs.
I like spanish wine especially tonite and classic cars motorbikes and according to the wife I am a bit of an old classic myself. Any people down there driving around in an old classic car holding up the traffic like I seem to...If so do you get the friendly wave as the overtakers come past?
Merry christmas and have a happy new year Ex Pats
Adios
Old Dec 30th 2008, 6:16 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Redneck member

Redneck you say, my, you are going to fit in nicely here!

Welcome Cleytus!
Old Dec 30th 2008, 6:17 pm
Run Forrest, Run.....

Rocky Balboa is on a distinguished road

I saw a Ford Fiesta Mk1 the other day, does that count?
Old Dec 31st 2008, 11:58 am

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WYVERN
Hello
I am a new member of this forum looking to relocate from the uk to the costa's at some time in the future, but while I am waiting for my winning lottery ticket to turn up, would be looking for temporary or permanant car/plant or boat mechanical work maybe one off jobs.
I like spanish wine especially tonite and classic cars motorbikes and according to the wife I am a bit of an old classic myself. Any people down there driving around in an old classic car holding up the traffic like I seem to...If so do you get the friendly wave as the overtakers come past?
Merry christmas and have a happy new year Ex Pats
Adios

running classic cars is quite hard here, unless you live in one of the big cities like BCN or Madrid. I run an Austin Westminster and as it is the only one in this country I have to import most spares from the UK. Registering after importing was not easy either, there are many things to watch out for. Portugal seems to have more classics as the market was more open when the cars were newer. Most classics here in Span are SEAT 600.

What year is the Wyvern? from your picture, which is small, it seems to be a 49 model or maybe even a pre war car.
Old Dec 31st 2008, 5:25 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo
running classic cars is quite hard here, unless you live in one of the big cities like BCN or Madrid. I run an Austin Westminster and as it is the only one in this country I have to import most spares from the UK. Registering after importing was not easy either, there are many things to watch out for. Portugal seems to have more classics as the market was more open when the cars were newer. Most classics here in Span are SEAT 600.

What year is the Wyvern? from your picture, which is small, it seems to be a 49 model or maybe even a pre war car.
I remember the westminster being sixties oversized luxury cambridge/oxford farina type with the smooth ohv straight six cylinder. Unfortunately a number of these cars were used for banger racing and were lost that way having the extra bit of weight and power they were the ideal doner. I also recall nearly buying the Vanden Plas 4 litre R a couple of decades ago beautiful cars. Do you use the "fuel cat" in the westminster and use unleaded as I do in the wyvern. I am also still running crossplys due to the narrowness of the rims. Yes the wyvern is a 1949 it has the smaller 5.5 headlights. A positive for running a classic in the uk has to be free road tax and very reasonable insurance premiums based on a limited mileage. Good old blighty
Old Jan 1st 2009, 5:37 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

The good news is that you can get classic car insurance here too. There is usually a condition like it is your second car but that is the same throughout Europe, although I once had classic car insurance as my only car too.
You can purchase lead replacement additives in Spain too. But eh way the Austin drinks fuel I do not use it. I just keep an eye on the tappet gaps and ensure I do not rev the hillocks off of it.
You can apply for free road tax in Spain too and the good thing is it is on a rolling programme so you could run a more modern classic without yearly tax. But you have to apply for the dispensation as it is not automatically granted.
We both like the Austin for the comfortable ride and the sofa type bench seats front and rear. Man have also been scrapped to be used as spares for Austin Healys too. Why I do not know as there are quite a number of differences in the engines.

Spares usually take 4 days to arrive via the post.
My grandfather was keen on Vauxhalls and I have one of his books on maintenance of various models. It is stored away in the attic so I cannot see what models it covers, I think the pre-war cars.
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 6:25 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo
The good news is that you can get classic car insurance here too. There is usually a condition like it is your second car but that is the same throughout Europe, although I once had classic car insurance as my only car too.
You can purchase lead replacement additives in Spain too. But eh way the Austin drinks fuel I do not use it. I just keep an eye on the tappet gaps and ensure I do not rev the hillocks off of it.
You can apply for free road tax in Spain too and the good thing is it is on a rolling programme so you could run a more modern classic without yearly tax. But you have to apply for the dispensation as it is not automatically granted.
We both like the Austin for the comfortable ride and the sofa type bench seats front and rear. Man have also been scrapped to be used as spares for Austin Healys too. Why I do not know as there are quite a number of differences in the engines.

Spares usually take 4 days to arrive via the post.
My grandfather was keen on Vauxhalls and I have one of his books on maintenance of various models. It is stored away in the attic so I cannot see what models it covers, I think the pre-war cars.
A good towcar the Westminster, I did like the idea of towing a classic caravan behind the Wyvern and I managed to pick up a 1950's Sprite 14 the forerunner to the muskateer but the idea was soon ended when the kids refused to go anywhere in "that" caravan and the caravan actually dwarfed the car imagine the miles of traffic behind that combination
I find ebay a good source of parts for the Wyvern and usually buy any spares that turn up cheap for stock. Although I may be moving on to my next project a 1972 baywindow vw camper with a devon conversion and a fair bit of rust and work to do,

not today though,

Too cold!..up here at the moment.

Time to check my lotto daily play instead.
Old Jan 6th 2009, 10:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

I remember the westminster being sixties oversized luxury cambridge/oxford farina type with the smooth ohv straight six cylinder. Unfortunately a number of these cars were used for banger racing and were lost that way having the extra bit of weight and power they were the ideal doner. I also recall nearly buying the Vanden Plas 4 litre R a couple of decades ago beautiful cars. Do you use the "fuel cat" in the westminster and use unleaded as I do in the wyvern. I am also still running crossplys due to the narrowness of the rims. Yes the wyvern is a 1949 it has the smaller 5.5 headlights. A positive for running a classic in the uk has to be free road tax and very reasonable insurance premiums based on a limited mileage. Good old blighty
Did think of bringing my Morris 1000 over but due to unforeseen circumstances sold it instead....... thankfully know the purchaser & have first refusal on re-buying it, providing short wife hasn't meant he's crippled the seating arrangement! My other question, bit off-topic but no doubt someone'll remember... my mother owned an MG Magnette. Anyone remember them & their twin carb, walnut fascia, slant on luxury?
Old Jan 7th 2009, 8:13 am
Forum Regular

gill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond repute

I have just inherited a Morris 2200 in need of renovation, only 22,000 miles on clock. It has been in a garage for at least 22 years without being driven. Unfortunately I live in Spain and the car is in the UK. Would anyone have any idea what I could do with it?
Old Jan 7th 2009, 9:38 am

WYVERN
I would not personally not want to bring the VW to Spain as it will be classed as a commercial vehicle and RHD commercials are seemly hard or impossible to register in Spain. Having said that it is not impossible as I have personally seen an old Bristol bus with Spanish plates (RHD) plus I have seen on ebay Spain a RHD bus which is more modern. That too is RHD.

fionamw
Near the city of Ourense I have seen a U.K. plated (RHD) Moggie 1000. I have seen some advertised in classic car mags here in Spain too. They may have imported them at one time as some are LHD with reg. Plates appropriate to the year. The Magentte was it photo one or photo two?

gill556

Is the 2200 this one?

There is a small market for these cars. You could try advertising on Ebay or in one of the classic car mags in the U.K. If it is in a really bad condition then offer it for free for spares
The owners web site for these cars is here.
http://www.landcrab.net/
Old Jan 7th 2009, 10:10 am
Forum Regular

gill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, thanks for your help, it is the same as the black car, very dirty and some rust on one side where there has been a leak in the garage roof, it belonged to an uncle who died in 1986 but it is only now that his son has died my brother and myself have the task of disposing of everything.

Gill
Old Jan 7th 2009, 2:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

wyvern:
Photo 2 - red which bizarrely faded to non-glossy pink (?!) during my mum's frugal period of ownership... lovely nonetheless. 1959 from memory, though since that's good & shot it could be wrong

Last edited by fionamw; Jan 7th 2009 at 2:13 pm.
Old Jan 7th 2009, 4:11 pm

gill556
From your description it sounds as if the car is beyond economical repair. Standing for so long will mean things like tyres, brakes and clutch will need replacement even before you start on the bodywork. I bet it has rusted too. But it may be useful for spares to an enthusiast. I suggest you contact the website for landcrabs.

fionamw
The first car, the more stylish one was produced from 53 to 59 the later car 2 was produced from 59 until 69. So your mother could have had one of the first of the production line. These cars are not so well liked as the car illustrated in photo 1.
You mothers car is similar as my Westminster but smaller. I have actually seen a Magnatte here in Galicia. I was offered it for 6000€ and last year I saw the same car for sale for a waking 15000€ both prices are silly money when compared with the rest of Europe, (including U.K.).
BTW I think the fascia was not walnut but painted metal made to look like wood. But I could be wrong.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 7:36 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by gill556
I have just inherited a Morris 2200 in need of renovation, only 22,000 miles on clock. It has been in a garage for at least 22 years without being driven. Unfortunately I live in Spain and the car is in the UK. Would anyone have any idea what I could do with it?
What area of the UK is the morris in if you still have it? I may be interested in having a look at it seems a shame to break it up if it could be saved. I live near Luton, Beds.
Nothing like dragging another old barn find on to the drive to keep the wyvern company and upset the wife and neighbours.

Great picture of the maroon MG is it lhd and taken in another country?
Old Jan 9th 2009, 8:47 pm

. I live near Luton, Beds.

Should have guessed having a Vauxhall.

. Great picture of the maroon MG is it lhd and taken in another country?
Found the photo on the internet and linked through. It is from a Canadian web site.

Can I ask you to post a better photo(s) of your car please?

Last edited by Casa Santo Estevo; Jan 9th 2009 at 8:58 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.